RIP Hong Kong

3 posters

Go down

RIP Hong Kong Empty RIP Hong Kong

Post by halfwise Fri May 29, 2020 2:17 pm

Decades ago, just as China was opening up under Deng's reforms, I joined some Chinese grad students in a trip around China.  That's a different story - but both going and coming I spent 2 nights each in Hong Kong.  Those were among the most magical days in my life.  I've watched with dismay as protesters - too young to know that to be effective a protest must be calculated, organized, and led with vision - brought first the attention then the wrath of Beijing.  Now under the shield of pandemic laws Beijing is moving in to put a stranglehood on Hong Kong.  The only weapon the rest of the world has is to remove the special trading status Hong Kong has long enjoyed, effectively destroying the economic  alongside the political status that made Hong Kong so magical.  I'll never be able to visit Hong Kong again.  It no longer exists. Sad

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/no-cards-left-hong-kong-residents-sell-up-and-search-for-way-out-as-china-cements-grip

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

RIP Hong Kong Empty Re: RIP Hong Kong

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 29, 2020 10:43 pm

I remember the day in 1997 when Britain handed Hong Kong over. They looked quite pleased at the time to see the British go, but I don't think they realised what the consequences would be long term. It is very sad for the youngsters who have fought so bravely for democracy. It must be an incredibly scary time for them.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 30, 2020 2:24 am

They were brave but very naive to think some punches here and there would drive out a country like china. They needed to work on the international economy rather than the local economy. That would take knowledge and networking they don't have. Watching the kids battle forces that will crush them is heartbreaking, though I think Beijing held off as long as it did simply because they *were* kids.

https://www.pbs.org/video/battle-for-hong-kong-cekmp7/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat May 30, 2020 8:49 am

Communism is resurgent. And Fascism in America and parts of Europe. We live in very troubling times.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 30, 2020 12:30 pm

yep. Got a TV series here called "The Dictator's Playbook" where they outline the rise of the famous 20th century dictators. Footage of Mussolini looks eerily like Trump. And strikingly similar tactics, with frighteningly similar responses from his followers.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum