Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Forest Shepherd
azriel
14 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 2 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Just...................whatever - Page 2 89965228-10157841938306043-2933677274093846528-o

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 2 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by azriel Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:00 pm

That's scary pale

Just...................whatever - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:12 am

Just...................whatever - Page 2 Tree_g10

Putzar Castle in Germany

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 am

Looks like the tree's coming over for a visit.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 am

Its amazing. I can just see him swinging a stubby root of a leg over. Surprised the arch can hold the weight ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:30 am

fabulous Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 pm

https://www.facebook.com/craftworld7/photos/pcb.128820468699137/128819812032536/?type=3&theater

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:48 am

Yeah like an Ent stepping through a gap in Isengard's walls.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:44 pm

{{ Been reading The Road to Mars, by Eric Idle. Its a scifi story about a comedy double act and their robot Carlton who is secretly studying them to try to work out what comedy and humour are.
In terms of story its ok, nothing spectacular, in terms of how its written its very solid and competent without ever risking Douglas Adams place in comedy scifi writting. But where it is really interesting is in its thoughts on comedy itself, given its coming from Idle, one of the Python team and who has made a study of the history of comedy over the years.

Heres an example-

"There are two types of comedian both deriving from the circus, which I shall call the White Face and the Red Nose. Almost all comedians fall into one or the other of these two simple archetypes. In the circus, the White Face is the controlling clown with the deathly pale masklike face who never takes a pie; Red Nose is the subsversive clown with the yellow and red makeup who takes all the pies and the pratfalls and the buckets of water. The White Face represents the mind, reminding humanity of the constant mocking presence of death; the Red Nose represents the body, reminding mankind of its constant embarrassing vulgarities. The emblem of the White Face is the skull, that of the Red Nose is the phallus. One stems from the plague, the other from the carnival. The bleakness of the funeral, the wildness of the orgy. The graveyard and the fiesta. The brain and the penis. Hamlet and Falstaff. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. Laurel and Hardy."

In a later part of the story the robot Carlton has come up with a theory for how humour got started evolution wise, and I dont know if this is Idle's own idea or if he's basing it off any actual science, but I really liked the notion so thought Id share it- }}

'The Basic Chimp Theory is based on the idea of a primal chimp. The genetic father of all comedians, if you like. The chimpanzee has a small but effective language base, which obviously includes sign language. Chimps have a word for "snake". When a chimp says "Snake", they run away. Not all chimps run, however; some continue to play, tempting fate. Carlton posed the idea of a basic comic chimp, an ape who yelled "snake" when there was no snake. The others run away and maintain their fear signals at a safe distance (teeth chattering, barking, laughs), but they have been conned. This, Carlton argues, is exactly what happens to the audience.
So why would the basic chimp do that? The answer, according to Carlton, is (a) food (he can eat whiile they run), (b) power (he has caused their flight) and (c) sex (with power and food comes the reward of the female, with all the advantages for the personal survival of his own DNA)."- Road to Mars

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm

I've never accepted the interrupted defense mechanism theory of humor because in most jokes there's not the faintest whiff if danger. Where's the threat in a pun? Trying to explain jokes based on this is stretching things far beyond the breaking point.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 pm

{{ Ah well, in Carltons defence here that last bit he came up with having observed the Red Nose half of his masters, Alex, taking a joke too far, losing control and in doing so risking the wrath of someone with power over them, their careers and very well-being. }}

- 'And he (Carlton) recognizes the danger for the comedian, who, if he makes a mistake, can get eaten. He also risks raising the envy of the physically more powerful in the tribe, which is why this particular moment with Alex so fascinates him. Insulting the powerful fits right in with his general thesis.'- Road to Mars

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:So why would the basic chimp do that? The answer, according to Carlton, is (a) food (he can eat whiile they run), (b) power (he has caused their flight) and (c) sex (with power and food comes the reward of the female, with all the advantages for the personal survival of his own DNA)."- Road to Mars

I'll add a 4th reason. Teaching/learning.
I have a fond memory of teaching an inquisitive 2 year old the dangers of rose bush thorns.
I'd reach as if to pick the roses like I knew she wanted to do, but then I'd cry, "OUCH!!!!" and pantomime an injured hand.
Her eyes got huge and she asked "OK???" I smiled, nodded and said,"OK!" whereupon she burst into peels of laughter, and when she recovered she demanded, "AGAIN!"
I obliged, but with even larger comic drama (because who doesn't love an appreciative audience?) and got an even bigger laugh.
This continued for 15 minutes or so until I finally had to stop. I think this was her first joke. The idea of watching me pretend to do something stupid and get hurt never got old!

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Mmm, funny how children display this sadistic streak Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:59 pm

sadism is all about power - young kids I think marvel at the power they have to get grownups to do things.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:10 pm

{{ Brother sent me this, all bands you have to guess the names. We think we have them all except for no. 8 which has us stumped?

Any guesses?

Just...................whatever - Page 2 10

our guesses-

Spoiler:
}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:35 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Brother sent me this, all bands you have to guess the names. We think we have them all except for no. 8 which has us stumped?

Any guesses?

Just...................whatever - Page 2 10

our guesses-

Spoiler:
}}}

Spoiler:
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:03 pm

its baffling, is there answers to this ? I bet its something bloody obvious ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Oh geez, well here's my guesses.

Spoiler:

Yeah I think this has some UK-bias. I looked up number 9 afterwards and it's a British group I've never heard of. Anyway off to read your guys' guesses.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 pm

Here I made my own Razz
The emojis got all screwed up when I posted them here, but I deleted the ones that didn't work anymore.

1. 🐞🐞🐞🐞
2.  Rolling Eyes  💎💎💎💎💎💎
3. 👨🧵   🏃💨
4. 🔨👨📐👩
5. 🦆
6. 👨👉👨   🕑
7. (🧷🪒🔩🔧⚙⛓)🧲
8. Shrugging
9. 🌳🏕🌳 🔗🌳🏕🌳
10. 🧎 🔷
11. 🪑
12. ✡ 🎀
13. 🏖👦👦👦👦👦
14. 🦁 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Oh! I think I managed to solve some of those! I'm so proud! Not proud of the spelling tho.
Spoiler:

But Petty's number 8... Got no clue.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Yep got 'em. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:01 pm

{{ Bit weird to watch this one, filmed in San Fransico in 1906- 4 days later the big quake hit killing 3000 and destroying 80% of the city. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:38 pm

the original has always been amazing, but that reconstruction is mind blowing. It tends towards purple but still brings things to life even more than the original.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:30 pm

That was eerie, I wanted to shout "get out ! get away as far as you can!" especially when you see the young boys goofing around, all smiles for the camera & not a clue whats coming

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum