+3
Mrs Figg
halfwise
Nagual
7 posters

Go down

My new passion. Empty My new passion.

Post by Nagual Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 pm

A little background, an origin story if you will.

As a child I was lucky enough to get a computer! Not a console like the Atari but a real computer, a ZX81 with a 16k RAM pack. It was amazing to see little Horace skiing or 3d space invaders on my black and white tv. Not long after that I had the ZX Spectrum with an insane 48k RAM! I started to learn how to program, and managed after so much tears and blood to be able to have a program that asked me stuff and remember it all. It also went beep.

Playing all the different games that came out, as at that time it was new to everyone. No one had made games like these, no one had played them. Everything was so astounding. Things only got better as programmers learned how to do even more amazing things. It wasn't long before we were flying in space, or fighting dragons! It was around that time I found I loved everything to do with fantasy games both computer related and Dungeons & Dragons (Basic Ed first, Expert, then Advanced). I longed for a computer game to give me the same feel as pen and paper D&D did. Some came close.

Fast forward to around a couple of decades ago when Morrowind came out, and I felt that modern gaming was reaching a point where my dreams of a dungeon crawling, fantasy adventure were well within reach. Now there are hundreds of games that in their own way, do that. Not only that, but now thanks to the foresight of companies like Epic who give away everything you need to make games - the game engine, in game assets like characters, props, environments, sound effects, you name it you can get AAA game assets for free. Over the years the Unreal Engine, as it is called, has changed and evolved. It used to be the domain of serious programmers but now it's become much easier for someone with little or no programming experience to learn how to make games, and it's easier than ever to get something on screen and working that ever before.

I decided to learn how to make games with Unreal Engine, because throughout my gaming years the little boy programmer was still there wanting to make a D&D esk game. So I'm giving it ago. There is lots to learn, some things that everyone takes for granted in games like picking things up and putting them in an inventory of sorts, are much more involved that you might think. But that's what I love about it, learning how to do these things. It's like satisfying to be able to these things, and to actually understand what is going on and not just doing them by copying someone else's work.

To that end, this very short vid, is my little player with a working inventory. If anyone is remotely interested I can keep this thread updated as I learn. Or we can let it fade into oblivion.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

My new passion. Empty Re: My new passion.

Post by halfwise Sun May 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Picking up bushes, are we? Now need the bot to rearrange them like landscapers building a garden.

Next....write some music!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Sun May 05, 2019 2:08 pm

halfwise wrote:Picking up bushes, are we?  Now need the bot to rearrange them like landscapers building a garden.

Next....write some music!

Adding in a landscape with bushes and whatnot is fairly simple to do. Getting it to look good, is a different story of course Laughing Music? Pfft I have no ear for creating music. I do have access to a free, royalty free, open licence music source. Which has some lovely pieces in it. Most of it not what I'd want or need, and there is a lot to choose from. Laughing

Am playing with animations as well, but that is a skill set that can take years to be able to do convincingly and in a timely fashion.

Hopefully my next installment, if there is one, will be resemble an actual game in looks at least.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 05, 2019 3:07 pm

good luck, learning new skills are exciting and sometimes frustrating, but always worthwhile, go for it.

Thumbs Up

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Its great to look back on yourself & see the person who might have had doubts but, now, can do so much. A bit of self pride isn't a bad thing, boosts you up for the next challenge Smile

My new passion. Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

My new passion. Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Started to prototype characters. One of the first the player will encounter is the innkeeper. Things aren't off to a good start for our player, he gets left behind by his crew due to too much drinking the night before. He also owes the innkeeper a load of money for the drink, his room and his crew mates drinking too (total scallywags). So left with little choice, he has to find a way to pay back his debts.

The one wearing shorts was made with a online tool. The naked one was made using a cool free program. I tried to make him of mixed race heritage, which I think I've managed. Would love to hear what you think Smile

Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Though I applaud the artistic choice to make a realistic looking naked middle aged man, don't we have enough of those? With that kind of power in my hands I think my aims would be a bit more, um...prurient.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon May 13, 2019 12:09 am

Dungeon Crawling you say? This is right up my alley!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Mon May 13, 2019 10:11 am

halfwise wrote:Though I applaud the artistic choice to make a realistic looking naked middle aged man, don't we have enough of those?  With that kind of power in my hands I think my aims would be a bit more, um...prurient.

He's naked only because I don't  know how to model clothes. So I start with what I can do, make a semi realistic body shape. Clothes come later. You need the base model to the cloth forms to the body, as clothes in RPG style games are seperate objects ie the character is the base model + clothes models not a model that has clothes on, if that makes sense.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 pm

So if you put a mini skirt on him you're not sure how to make it ripple sexily as he walks. got it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 pm

halfwise wrote:So if you put a mini skirt on him you're not sure how to make it ripple sexily as he walks.  got it.
Yeah, pretty much. You can make the character model have clothes by default, but that would mean you'd have to change the entire model for every option of attire. That could be a lot of different models to make. By modularising the clothes assets you give yourself a lot more freedom, and potentially save time. In games like Skyrim for instance, your NPCs that can accompany you can wear anything you given them in almost any combination.

Once you have the physical shape of the clothes you used a bunch of tools to make it behave like cloth or leather or metal, whatever you need it to be. It can be a very convoluted process of trial and error, but since I've not attempted that yet I don't know for sure how convoluted it is vs just lack of experience.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

My new passion. Empty Not just a mini skirt!

Post by Nagual Tue May 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Now our rough and tough Innkeeper is clothed... Wink

My new passion. GINsNsp
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Ha! You're going with the mini-skirt! Razz

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Laughing Got to please the fans.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Tue May 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Amarië wrote:Laughing Got to please the fans.

Yup, if Gents in mini skirts are Halfwises thing, whom am I to say no? Very Happy
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Hey so long as Bruno the Bartender is cool with it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Work on the project has gone pretty slowly since I last posted. I realised that to do certain things, I needed a new tool. Since a lot of the project will have caves, dungeons and similar things I needed something to be able to quickly make them rather than plonk them down bit by bit.

Currently working on make this tool:
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Yeah that seems pretty integral to the whole thing.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 pm

{{ I think Nagual may be underselling his achievement here somewhat.
What he has not perhaps entirely clarified is that he has created and written a new tool within the engine to allow for the much easier and quicker creation of tunnels, dungeons etc and 'cave scenery' that can be added such as doorways, stalagmites and the like in a streamlined and intuitive manner.
Its an impressive accomplishment- one that I hope and which deserves when finished and released to the Unreal Marketplace to make him a well earned bit of money for the work ( I know the hours he has put in!).
As you say Forest it 'seems pretty integral to the whole thing' and having a tool which makes the entire process of placing and positioning and connecting different tunnel/cave/dungeon meshes together is a great idea.}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:48 pm

It's beginning to look like something useable Smile
Thanks Petty. It's designed to take the stress and time out from making these kind of levels, normally you have to place all the 'bits' one at a time, this can take a long long time, and you may not even like it at the end of it. What this does is allow designers to speed up the whole process. Time is money after all. Very Happy

Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 pm

For a long time there has been a program called "Blender" which allows people to create 3d models, animations and things. Just recently it received it's latest update. So I figured what the hell, let's see what it's like. What started out as just a nose, ended up with this monstrosity from hell...
My new passion. Blende10
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:52 pm

Looks like a sex toy gone wrong.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:02 pm

Oh yeah ? Very Happy We can see what Halfy gets up to in the quietness of his broom cupboard ! lol
I thought the thing on the floor looked like a cooked turkey with hands

My new passion. Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

My new passion. Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down