The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018)

+9
Elthir
Lancebloke
Bluebottle
halfwise
chris63
Pettytyrant101
Forest Shepherd
TranshumanAngel
Eldorion
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018) Empty The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018)

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:17 pm

https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780008302771/the-fall-of-gondolin/

ISBN: 9780008302771
Imprint: HarperCollins
On Sale: 2018-08-30
Format: Paperback
Trimsize: 15.300
Pages: 336

In the Tale of The Fall of Gondolin are two of the greatest powers in the world. There is Morgoth of the uttermost evil, unseen in this story but ruling over a vast military power from his fortress of Angband. Deeply opposed to Morgoth is Ulmo, second in might only to Manwë, chief of the Valar.

Central to this enmity of the gods is the city of Gondolin, beautiful but undiscoverable. It was built and peopled by Noldorin Elves who, when they dwelt in Valinor, the land of the gods, rebelled against their rule and fled to Middle-earth. Turgon King of Gondolin is hated and feared above all his enemies by Morgoth, who seeks in vain to discover the marvellously hidden city, while the gods in Valinor in heated debate largely refuse to intervene in support of Ulmo's desires and designs.

Into this world comes Tuor, cousin of Trin, the instrument of Ulmo's designs. Guided unseen by him Tuor sets out from the land of his birth on the fearful journey to Gondolin, and in one of the most arresting moments in the history of Middle-earth the sea-god himself appears to him, rising out of the ocean in the midst of a storm. In Gondolin he becomes great; he is wedded to Idril, Turgon's daughter, and their son is Erendel, whose birth and profound importance in days to come is foreseen by Ulmo.

At last comes the terrible ending. Morgoth learns through an act of supreme treachery all that he needs to mount a devastating attack on the city, with Balrogs and dragons and numberless Orcs. After a minutely observed account of the fall of Gondolin, the tale ends with the escape of Trin and Idril, with the child Erendel, looking back from a cleft in the mountains as they flee southward, at the blazing wreckage of their city. They were journeying into a new story, the Tale of Erendel, which Tolkien never wrote, but which is sketched out in this book from other sources.

Following his presentation of Beren and Lthien Christopher Tolkien has used the same 'history in sequence' mode in the writing of this edition of The Fall of Gondolin. In the words of J.R.R. Tolkien, it was the first real story of this imaginary world’ and, together with Beren and Lthien and The Children of Hrin, he regarded it as one of the three 'Great Tales' of the Elder Days.

Official announcement apparently forthcoming tomorrow. h/t to irasel from the TORn forums.

https://www.facebook.com/officialtolkien
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018) Empty Re: The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018)

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 pm

For the record, the misspellings of all words with diacritics and the statement that Túrin ("Trin") escaped the fall of the city with Idril are all part of the original product description (which, when it leaked, made me think it was a hoax). Hopefully it will be fixed at some point.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018) Empty Re: The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018)

Post by TranshumanAngel Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 am

Unless there is something actually new here, I'm not sure I'll be interested in purchasing it. I love the fragment in Unfinished Tales, but that is already quite accessible to me, and splicing it with the Lost Tales version of the story feels, somehow, inadequate. Perhaps it will finally be interesting to own all three volumes, CoH, BL, and finally Gondolin, precisely because they are all, to varying degrees, so incomplete. Tolkien's unfinished trilogy.
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:58 am

TranshumanAngel wrote:Unless there is something actually new here, I'm not sure I'll be interested in purchasing it. I love the fragment in Unfinished Tales, but that is already quite accessible to me, and splicing it with the Lost Tales version of the story feels, somehow, inadequate. Perhaps it will finally be interesting to own all three volumes, CoH, BL, and finally Gondolin, precisely because they are all, to varying degrees, so incomplete. Tolkien's unfinished trilogy.

I didn't pick up B&L because I'd already ready all the texts included in it, but if it makes the Great Tales more accessible to more people then I'm all for it. Plus I'm sure the Alan Lee illustrations will be nice.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:59 am

Also, cover art now up on Amazon UK. Click images for full size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fall-Gondolin-J-R-Tolkien/dp/0008302758/

The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018) SF6fL2Cl

The Fall of Gondolin (coming August 2018) 8JWx2g2l
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 am

Yikes, and Harper Collins is a publishing company too. I wonder who "publishes" the content of their website... Google translate by way of Greek?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 am

{{ Was it Lee did the Unfinished Tales cover with Ulmo or was that someone else?- always liked that one (prever it to the above).
In two minds about this- I loved of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin- its abrupt unfinishedness was like an actual pain at the time so absorbed in the story had I become. So the chance to read on from then is hugely tempting- but will it be quite in the same vein given it must be drawn from all sorts of scraps from different times in Tolkiens writing and development of ME? }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:21 am

Could this be a story in the upcoming TV series?

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 am

No, not from what I've heard.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:28 am

The TV series is going to be a direct prequel to LOTR, which is the only book Amazon has the rights to, unless there's been an unannounced second deal.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Was it Lee did the Unfinished Tales cover with Ulmo or was that someone else?- always liked that one (prever it to the above).

If I'm thinking of the same cover as you, it was by John Howe.

http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/details.php?image_id=840

In two minds about this- I loved of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin- its abrupt unfinishedness was like an actual pain at the time so absorbed in the story had I become. So the chance to read on from then is hugely tempting- but will it be quite in the same vein given it must be drawn from all sorts of scraps from different times in Tolkiens writing and development of ME? }}

Since the blurb specifically compares this to last year's Beren and Lúthien (er, I mean "Beren and Lthien", of course Pokey Tongue) I don't expect there to be anything that wasn't already included in Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth, though it might also use pieces of the relevant chapter from the 1977 Silm to provide context for newcomers. I would be very surprised if this book is a single narrative or if it includes any newly stitched-together texts assembled by Christopher or anyone else from various sources. So I expect "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin" to break off just as abruptly as it did in UT (which I agree is kinda agonizing as it's one of my favorite First Age stories).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:31 am

{{{ I have only ever read as far as the Lay of Luthien book in History, dont remember Gondolin before then so assuming either it came in a later History book or I was really drunk at the time! drunken

Yeah thats the cover I had in mind Eldo- thats the edition of UT I own. }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:37 am

The only complete version of The Fall of Gondolin is in The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two, which is the volume before The Lays of Beleriand. Gondolin did not receive an extensive epic poem like Beren and Lúthien or Túrin. Lays briefly quotes from "The Lay of the Fall of Gondolin" which was abandoned early on and AFAIK has never been published in its entirety, so there's a chance that this volume will include something new, though there was speculation that B&L would include new minor texts as well, which ended up not happening.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 am

{{{ I must have been really drunk then- dont remember it at all! but I had and read the first three (joined a book club to get them but due to being a skint student at the time had to reluctantly stop after volume 3 Mad ) and for some reason never got round to getting the rest since.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:50 am

Well I've already caved and pre-ordered it - that cover is just so lovely. In any case, I don't own the Lost Tales version, so I might as well pick it up here.
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:29 am

Welcome back THA! Wave

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 am

Yes, welcome back, THA! (Should've said that earlier.)

Let us know what you think of the book once it's published. Smile I'll probably go flip through a copy but it'd be interesting to hear from someone who actually reads the whole thing.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 pm

{{Um, yes, indeed- welcome back TA- should have mentioned that too really drunken - very good to see you back abut the place- have a buckie pub (well I say have, not one of mine obviously Shocked Mad what I mean is go out to a shop, buy some buckie, then have a buckie- sorry but its the lock on my sporran, seems suddenly stuck! ) }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 pm

More product listings than just the large print edition (the one in the OP) are available now. Both hardcover versions will run to 304 pages, apparently. Links and more via the Tolkien Society:

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2018/04/the-fall-of-gondolin-to-be-published/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks all, I do lurk occasionally but in general I don't post much on boards. Still I hope to be around a bit more with this and all the TV shenanigans happening.
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:28 am

Game of Thrones Shocker: J.R.R. Tolkien Finishes New Book Before George R. R. Martin Does.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/10/game-of-thrones-shocker-j-r-r-tolkien-finishes-new-book-before-george-r-r-martin-does/

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Is this the full story of the fragment in UT? Always liked that one Surprised

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:37 pm

It will most likely be that fragment together with the version from the Book of Lost Tales and maybe a few additional short texts. Highly unlikely to have a direct continuation of the UT version.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Crying or Very sad what is the part from the book of lost tales?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:49 pm

It's called simply The Fall of Gondolin and it's the only complete version of the tale. It was one of the first significant Middle-earth stories to be written down, in 1916-17, and its earliest form predates the original versions of what later became Beren and Lúthien and The Children of Húrin.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Ah, and how a is that related to the version in the Silmarillion?

Appologies for all the questions Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next