malickfan
chris63
Norc
Pettytyrant101
bungobaggins
Eldorion
10 posters

Go down

Help me with a short survey? Empty Help me with a short survey?

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a project that includes running a short online survey so I'm asking around for responses and thought I'd do so here as well. The subject is Internet use and mental health awareness. There's six questions and it should only take a minute or two to complete. I would be very grateful if anyone could help by filling it out.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nw8ySa-EsxQLPZnM6tcntKg2LTzMSnDT5zyR3GUQDvI

Thanks! Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Help me with a short survey? Empty Re: Help me with a short survey?

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:41 pm

I got you fam.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 am

{{Whats it for Eldo? Who sees the results? Do I need to borrow Figg's tinfoil hat? }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am

Thanks a bunch, bungo! Smile

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Whats it for Eldo? Who sees the results? Do I need to borrow Figg's tinfoil hat? }}}

Internet use and mental health awareness
This survey is being conducted as part of a course assignment with no intention of publication and does not collect any personally identifiable information. No adverse effects are anticipated as a result of participation in this survey.

The "no adverse effects" part is typical human research boilerplate, though as a class project that's just an anonymous survey this was exempt from having to go through an Institutional Review Board. I have no way of knowing which results come from which people; there are over 100 already (mostly from another forum where I'm a regular).

Last edited by Eldorion on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:50 am

{{fair enough Eldo- if it will help you with  a project}}

edit add- {{All done! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks Petty, I really appreciate the help. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:46 pm

i want to help, but i have to calculat how much time i spend on the internet.. like... does instagram count? schoolwork? casual browsing or just being online all the time?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 pm

It's just supposed to be a rough estimate of time spent using the web, whether through a browser, other mobile app, or whatever. Instagram is a social networking service so it definitely counts, yeah. Some people have skipped the first question and just answered the second.

Thanks for your interest, Norc. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:12 am

Done :carrot:

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:28 am

Thanks chris! Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:17 am

Done Eldo Smile

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:14 am

Done it Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Done Smile

Help me with a short survey? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Eldorion wrote:It's just supposed to be a rough estimate of time spent using the web, whether through a browser, other mobile app, or whatever. Instagram is a social networking service so it definitely counts, yeah. Some people have skipped the first question and just answered the second.

Thanks for your interest, Norc. Smile

you're welcome Smile also i think i would've separated online communities and social media as two separate things separated. because social media to me is keeping in touch with classmates and real-life friends, through facebookgroups, snapchat etc, while online communities are more online-friends, like you guys, and for instants youtube (and communities there), fanclubs and etc. just a tip Smile i at least consider it two different things, but maybe thats just me.

also, maybe also add how comfortable one are to discuss it with a therapist in addition to family/friends, since people can be overall reluctant/uncomfortable to discuss it, whether it be with a therapist or not. it could be interesting to see if they go together or not. Also, for me at least, there is a clear difference between discussing others mental health with them, discussing others mental health with someone else, discuss my mental health with friends/family and to discuss my mental health with a therapist.

i have answered the survay, but i found it a bit dificult to give good answers due to the reasons mentioned above.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks so much, everyone!

Norc wrote:you're welcome Smile also i think i would've separated online communities and social media as two separate things separated. because social media to me is keeping in touch with classmates and real-life friends, through facebookgroups, snapchat etc, while online communities are more online-friends, like you guys, and for instants youtube (and communities there), fanclubs and etc. just a tip Smile i at least consider it two different things, but maybe thats just me.

You're right about there being difference in how social media and other stuff like forums tend to be used, and that would definitely be a distinction worth drawing in more detailed research on the subject.

also, maybe also add how comfortable one are to discuss it with a therapist in addition to family/friends, since people can be overall reluctant/uncomfortable to discuss it, whether it be with a therapist or not. it could be interesting to see if they go together or not. Also, for me at least, there is a clear difference between discussing others mental health with them, discussing others mental health with someone else, discuss my mental health with friends/family and to discuss my mental health with a therapist..

I get what you're saying, but the last three questions are being used as proxies for a pretty complicated topic, so while there's definitely uncaptured nuanced, the hope is only that it will provide a very rough guidepost as to whether future research in this area is justified. (The survey is also inherently limited since it's not a random sample.) I think in-person interviews with a smaller group, conducted as a supplement to a larger survey, are ideal in cases like this because it allows the researcher to tease out answers to sensitive questions where the first thing that comes to someone's mind is not necessarily the truest response, but that's way beyond the scope of an assignment for a stats class. Also, I wanted to keep things short to increase the chances of people filling it out since I have no way of recruiting or incentivizing anyone to do so aside from asking for favors from friends/acquaintances.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Late to the party but, Ive done it also Thumbs Up

Help me with a short survey? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Help me with a short survey? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:42 am

Done.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:43 am

Thanks guys! cheers

We gave project updates today and my professor was shocked (in a positive way) that I got 134 responses (I shared this in a number of places, including on another forum where I'm active). That should be plenty but I'll let the survey run for a bit more and then next week begin doing the analysis part of the project. This was really weighing on me but at this point I'm feeling pretty good about it. Smile Thanks again to everyone for helping me get to this point!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down