Mrs Figg
Forest Shepherd
malickfan
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
15 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 Empty Re: GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2]

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Their preset Glamping tents are L85 per night on the weekends but can sleep several people.  If we set our own tents it's L20 per night.  I think even Figgs would be happy with one of their glamping tents.

http://www.valleyfarmcampsite.com/bell-tents/4591657350

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 4631971680

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 Empty Re: GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2]

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 pm

A Euromoot has always sounded like a cool idea. If I ever happen to be on that side of the pond I'll try to meet up with people, but I hope you guys will take lots of pictures regardless if/when it happens. Very Happy

Norc wrote:og i remember this... omg it's so long ago, i was a wee baby Laughing 16? well well... i can only thank the weirdness of the-hobbit-movie thing and facebook connect for introducing me to the world of forums and you guys. and my name is Norc and i am a boy.

It's kind of weird to think back on it all, yeah. Laughing And I remember some people being confused about my gender too, which surprised me when I found out, especially because it was already listed on my profile...

Norc wrote:well, i am  a student and everyone i hang around with are between 20-27 so age is actually nothing that i conciously think about when hanging with people. age is just a number. hell, someone in my class is 41 and we treat her like she's 25, even though she has three children (one who's our age) and a husband. and 26 is not old for flying fucks sake!!! jeeez... we are young.

I get what you mean, but I had a not-insignificant age gap going the other way for most of my education. Razz

Norc wrote:also, in comment to what has actually been discussed now (i am always away being drunk when fun stuff happens here Rolling Eyes) but i sense some kind of sadness about the hobbit and general tolkien era coming to an end, but don't be sad. it brought us together, and i am sure we can find lots of other stuff to nerd over Smile like got or doctor who or tortoises ^_^ well well... i am glad the jackson-adventure has calmed down, although lotr (and the hobbit to some degree) will always have a special place in my heart and childhood/young adulecent (dunno how that's spelled sorry)..

That's a good way of putting it. I love you
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:58 pm

malickfan wrote:Don't you ever feel a little nervous tying your real-life name and life to your online persona though? I prefer to keep the two parts of my life as separate as possible (which is why I have yet to post a photo of myself to this forum) nothing against you guys I'd just rather leseen the chances of being doxxed, and keep my youthful online geekery harder for people to find out...

It's weird isn't it? I've 'known' most of you guys for more than four years by now and pretty well by the standards of online friendships, but if we happened to pass in the street I doubt I would recognise any of you...

I've never felt particularly nervous about it, no. I became active on the Plaza at 14 and having one's real name made public was not uncommon in the Lore circles I moved in, especially for people who had been around since Usenet's heyday and/or who posted Lore writings on their own or others' websites. I had to wait until I was 15 to mention my real name or any other personal info due to a Plaza policy, but I badly wanted to do all the things that it seemed serious Lorists did. Razz So I made my first blog/essay repository shortly after my birthday and my full name was included in the copyright statement. I was also open about my name to the friends I made, especially after I made a Facebook and joined the Plaza's FB group.

There are definitely things about my teenage self that I'm not thrilled are preserved online, but that's an increasingly common occurrence and I think a growing number of people are understanding of it. When I was an undergraduate I tried to keep something of a barrier between my school life and my online life, or at least a one way barrier so people at school couldn't find my Tolkien stuff since some people don't approve of the level of geekiness and time I invested in it. But earlier this year I finally took the advice I'd been getting for a long time and made reference to my experience studying Tolkien and participating in forum governance in my grad school application essays, which evidently worked (or at least didn't torpedo my chances). And as of a few weeks ago I reformatted my polished Tolkien essays and they're now hosted through the University of Maryland website.

To be honest though I don't really think of myself as having an "online persona". I'm more willing to let my guard down and discuss things that I'm passionate about than I usually am around anyone other than family and close friends IRL, but otherwise I'm pretty much the same person. And my family could tell you that I sometimes go on and on like this in person too. Laughing But posting on forums and discovering that there were people who liked me for things other than being good at school (which was the opposite of the message I received at home growing up) ultimately had a really positive impact on my RL social skills as well, though I'm still pretty introverted.

Last edited by Eldorion on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 pm

I probably live the nearest to Oxford...

Sofa

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Do you have a backyard and a hose with running water?  We can pitch tents right there... :brows:

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:15 pm

halfwise wrote:Do you have a backyard and a hose with running water?  We can pitch tents right there... :brows:

Well I don't own the house (or a car-you'd still have to get the Train to Oxford), so I don't think my parents or siblings would be too keen on the idea of a bunch of odd internet geeks pitching up in the back garden, there's already enough oddness in this household without a random camping group turning up one night...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Maybe Petty's got room in his...house? Hobbit hole? Tin Shack?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Barrel, of course. Unless ... what if instead of scrubbing his barrel, has Italiashire boo has moved him out? Shocked
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 pm

I like the cut of your jib Halfy Smile That tent looks great ! I feel this forum will keep going, weve known each other long enough to let it go. And we have new projects to shred & rip to pieces, criticize & complain about Smile there are stirrings & rumblings in the underbelly of a new Tolkien world isn't there ? Amazon & their big TV ideas Smile

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:55 pm

halfwise wrote:Here we go!  http://www.valleyfarmcampsite.com

Also has a bus stop, talks about several pubs within walking distance, sells campfire wood.  Option for people to rent much more expensive pre-set theme tents or even a cabin or two!

This is it.  Don't have to do Oxonmoot if we can hang around a fire and people can do tents or glamping or cabins (don't see the prices for those last two though).  Can do day trips into Oxford.

SO FUCKING IN! can we go hiking too? i can't stress this enough. a meet up has to happen and i will go out of my way to scrape up money and join in. And Eldo, for fuck's sake, you're showing up! no excuse (unless trump won't let you in again)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 am

Norc wrote:And Eldo, for fuck's sake, you're showing up! no excuse (unless trump won't let you in again)

Sofa

It'd depend on the time of year, among other considerations, but I would enjoy being able to attend a Forumshire Euromoot.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Norc wrote:And Eldo, for fuck's sake, you're showing up! no excuse (unless trump won't let you in again)

Sofa

It'd depend on the time of year, among other considerations, but I would enjoy being able to attend a Forumshire Euromoot.

I have a mad image of a drunken party in Petty's garden...

We could try to do a skype session one day perhaps? study (though if we did I'd probably stay off-camera Sofa )

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Ooh, nearly at 4000 posts Shocked

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm

Laughing
Comm'on Malick, nearly there, say anything !!!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 pm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:11 pm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:11 pm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:12 pm

4000!!!!

cheers :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:18 pm

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 Happy-10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:18 pm

santa santa Congratulations Malick! santa santa

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 FrnXxyM
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Smugdog Oscars

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:44 am

halfwise wrote:Here we go!  http://www.valleyfarmcampsite.com

Also has a bus stop, talks about several pubs within walking distance, sells campfire wood.  Option for people to rent much more expensive pre-set theme tents or even a cabin or two!

This is it.  Don't have to do Oxonmoot if we can hang around a fire and people can do tents or glamping or cabins (don't see the prices for those last two though).  Can do day trips into Oxford.
Whoa-ho-ho! Hello, yes please. I mean, I'd stick out like a sore thumb because I don't drink, but I want to do adventurous things while I'm still unconnected from more adult responsibilities. Worst case scenario I accidentally insult everyone at the meet-up and one-half of the forum doesn't talk to me anymore.

It's not exactly central, but for good camping areas I don't know if you can beat somewhere in my state!

P.S.
Norc, it's "adolescent".

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:13 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:I mean, I'd stick out like a sore thumb because I don't drink

Perhaps I'm being selfish but I'd appreciate not being the only one harassed about not drinking at a hypothetical future moot. Pokey Tongue
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 am

Sobriety for life and happiness! Cider [non-alcoholic] all around!

I can hear Petty's outraged crabbit already...

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 am

Never too late Nod And research even says its good for you, come one, what's not to love Nod

GUYS GUYS!! LOOK !! LOOK!! [2] - Page 8 Pour

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next