David H
halfwise
18 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 Empty Re: US General Election 2016

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:10 pm

{{{ Laughing Think these two are my favourites-

Nobody knows how many illegal Danes, Jutes, Britons, Geats, Norsemen and Frisians are in Mercia. BAD NEWS! Could all be bad guys. Very bad!
— Donaeld The Unready (@donaeldunready)

Lying Monk Bede talks down Mercia, makes Northumbria look great. All lies! Mercia has the best land, best farms, best warriors. FACT.
— Donaeld The Unready (@donaeldunready)}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:24 pm

lol!

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Grendal's mother. Not a looker. Dangerous and bad! My mythical creatures ban already getting results.

Laughing
I found that so funny, Blue, that Ive shared it with my family & friends Very Happy

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:56 am

Trump ordered a temporary travel ban on travelers from certain Muslim Majority countries; a Federal judge in Seattle put an order to halt the ban until judicial review; the Bannon...er...Trump administration requested a stay to the order; and today a court of appeals refused to stay the order to halt the ban.

What's great about this is the very clear language in the decision.  Some samples:

To rule on the Government’s motion, we must consider several factors, including whether the Government has shown that it is likely to succeed on the merits of its appeal, the degree of hardship caused by a stay or its denial, and the public interest in granting or denying a stay. We assess those factors in light of the limited evidence put forward by both parties at this very preliminary stage and are mindful that our analysis of the hardships and public interest in this case involves particularly sensitive and weighty concerns on both sides. Nevertheless, we hold that the Government has not shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its appeal, nor has it shown that failure to enter a stay would cause irreparable injury, and we therefore deny its emergency motion for a stay.
The impact of the Executive Order was immediate and widespread. It was reported that thousands of visas were immediately canceled, hundreds of travelers with such visas were prevented from boarding airplanes bound for the United States or denied entry on arrival, and some travelers were detained.
Washington [state (home state of Seattle)] alleged that the Executive Order unconstitutionally and illegally stranded its residents abroad, split their families, restricted their travel, and damaged the State’s economy and public universities in violation of the First and Fifth Amendments, the INA, the Foreign Affairs Reform and Restructuring Act, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and the Administrative Procedure Act. Washington also alleged that the Executive Order was not truly meant to protect against terror attacks by foreign nationals but rather was intended to enact a “Muslim ban” as the President had stated during his presidential campaign that he would do.
To establish Article III standing, a plaintiff must demonstrate “that it has suffered a concrete and particularized injury that is either actual or imminent, that the injury is fairly traceable to the defendant, and that it is likely that a favorable decision will redress that injury.” The States argue that the Executive Order causes a concrete and particularized injury to their public universities, which the parties do not dispute are branches of the States under state law.
Specifically, the States allege that the teaching and research missions of their universities are harmed by the Executive Order’s effect on their faculty and students who are nationals of the seven affected countries. These students and faculty cannot travel for research, academic collaboration, or for personal reasons, and their families abroad cannot visit. Some have been stranded outside the country, unable to return to the universities at all. The schools cannot consider attractive student candidates and cannot hire faculty from the seven affected countries, which they have done in the past.
According to declarations filed by the States, for example, two visiting scholars who had planned to spend time at Washington State University were not permitted to enter the United States; one was informed he would be unable to obtain a visa. Similarly, the University of Washington was in the process of sponsoring three prospective employees from countries covered by the Executive Order for visas; it had made plans for their arrival beginning in February 2017, but they have been unable to enter the United States. The University of Washington also sponsored two medicine and science interns who have been prevented by the Executive Order from coming to the University of Washington. The University of Washington has already incurred the costs of visa applications for those interns and will lose its investment if they are not admitted. Both schools have a mission of “global engagement” and rely on such visiting students, scholars, and faculty to advance their educational goals. Students and faculty at Minnesota’s public universities were similarly restricted from traveling for academic and personal reasons.
We therefore conclude that the States have alleged harms to their proprietary interests traceable to the Executive Order. The necessary connection can be drawn in at most two logical steps: (1) the Executive Order prevents nationals of seven countries from entering Washington and Minnesota; (2) as a result, some of these people will not enter state universities, some will not join those universities as faculty, some will be prevented from performing research, and some will not be permitted to return if they leave. And we have no difficulty concluding that the States’ injuries would be redressed if they could obtain the relief they ask for: a declaration that the Executive Order violates the Constitution and an injunction barring its enforcement. The Government does not argue otherwise.
The Government contends that the district court lacked authority to enjoin enforcement of the Executive Order because the President has “unreviewable authority to suspend the admission of any class of aliens.” The Government does not merely argue that courts owe substantial deference to the immigration and national security policy determinations of the political branches—an uncontroversial principle that is well-grounded in our jurisprudence.
Instead, the Government has taken the position that the President’s decisions about immigration policy, particularly when motivated by national security concerns, are unreviewable, even if those actions potentially contravene constitutional rights and protections.
There is no precedent to support this claimed unreviewability, which runs contrary to the fundamental structure of our constitutional democracy. See Boumediene v. Bush, 553 U.S. 723, 765 (2008) (rejecting the idea that, even by congressional statute, Congress and the Executive could eliminate federal court habeas jurisdiction over enemy combatants, because the “political branches” lack “the power to switch the Constitution on or off at will”). Within our system, it is the role of the judiciary to interpret the law, a duty that will sometimes require ... challenging the constitutional authority of one of the three branches.” .... We are called upon to perform that duty in this case.
The Fifth Amendment of the Constitution prohibits the Government from depriving individuals of their “life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.” U.S. Const. amend. V. The Government may not deprive a person of one of these protected interests without providing “notice and an opportunity to respond,” or, in other words, the opportunity to present reasons not to proceed with the deprivation and have them considered....
The Government has not shown that the Executive Order provides what due process requires, such as notice and a hearing prior to restricting an individual’s ability to travel. Indeed, the Government does not contend that the Executive Order provides for such process. Rather, in addition to the arguments addressed in other parts of this opinion, the Government argues that most or all of the individuals affected by the Executive Order have no rights under the Due Process Clause.
The States argue that the Executive Order violates the Establishment and Equal Protection Clauses because it was intended to disfavor Muslims. In support of this argument, the States have offered evidence of numerous statements by the President about his intent to implement a “Muslim ban” as well as evidence they claim suggests that the Executive Order was intended to be that ban,...
The Government has pointed to no evidence that any alien from any of the countries named in the Order has perpetrated a terrorist attack in the United States.7 Rather than present evidence to explain the need for the Executive Order, the Government has taken the position that we must not review its decision at all.8 We disagree, as explained above.
To the extent that the Government claims that it has suffered an institutional injury by erosion of the separation of powers, that injury is not “irreparable.” It may yet pursue and vindicate its interests in the full course of this litigation.
Conclusion
For the foregoing reasons, the emergency motion for a stay pending appeal is DENIED.

Not that I've read many judicial rulings, but this is the most beautiful such piece of work I've seen.

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:43 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{ Laughing  Think these two are my favourites-

Nobody knows how many illegal Danes, Jutes, Britons, Geats, Norsemen and Frisians are in Mercia. BAD NEWS! Could all be bad guys. Very bad!
— Donaeld The Unready (@donaeldunready)

Lying Monk Bede talks down Mercia, makes Northumbria look great. All lies! Mercia has the best land, best farms, best warriors. FACT.
— Donaeld The Unready (@donaeldunready)}}

Laughing

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:47 am

Viking ships hiding in East Anglian rivers. Wet King Ethelbert doing nothing to stop them. Think people! DRAIN THE FENS.
Donaeld The Unready @donaeldunready

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:39 pm

{{Conway is getting tiresome, surely she cant last much longer she has clearly broken the ethics rules promoting Trump's daughters brand live on air, she even calls it 'a free commercial'.
Today I saw her saying that what every woman in America should take from this is that Trump backs her completely and this somehow demonstrates what a great employer of women he is.

No, it says that even if you blatantly break the law in full sight of everyone and condemn yourself with your own words to everyone, he will still screen you from all the consequences of it and keep you on the staff. All it says is he will irrationally and against all evidence defend the indefensible if its his side doing or saying it. That's not a good thing. }}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:51 pm

I was going to say he'll defend anyone loyal to him, but then I remembered Chris Christie.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 am

No worries, guys Smile context is king Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:48 am

azriel wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:I realize I might be coming across as a bit of an asshole. That part, at least, is not intentional. Razz

I don't think you're an arse hole.
You got a big "Sig" tho Smile I do admit I cant look at it for long....Smile

Well, firstly, happy to hear that. Smile

As for the other problem, I may try to change it Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 am

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Yep, that's our president! USA

(wish I still lived in DC to have caught those ads.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:08 pm

I like the pink....Blue Very Happy

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:15 pm

{{ Its all going well so far then!!! It'd be funny if its wasn't so potentially disastrous for the entire planet Mad }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm starting to think of it as the popcorn presidency - grab your bag of popcorn and sit back to watch the fur fly.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Yep! This is the Superbowl of Presidencies and we're only a minute into the first quarter!!!

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 PopcornUS General Election 2016 - Page 6 Popcorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:28 pm

{{Watched Trumps news conference- if thats the word for it- WOW!- had to wait for a transcript to pop up though to perfectly capture my favourite Trump response of the day- when confronted with the question how can the news about the leaks be fake news when the sources are coming from government bodies and Trump sacked his own guy based on them- Trumps response was poor nonsensical comedy gold-

'"The leaks are real. The leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake because so much of the news is fake."

Even though the leaks which are apparently real, are the news! All Hail the Leader of the Free World!!

And best unintended speaking of the truth goes to-

'I don't think there's ever been a president elected who in this short period of time has done what we've done."

And most delusional denial of reality and all available evidence goes to-

'"This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine."

That'd be 1 major policy blocked by the courts in a legal quagmire and protests across the country (and the globe), he has no means to fund his wall as Mexico wont pay for it and a trade war would harm the US as well, he has no alternative to Obamacare on the table other than Pauls sadistic to the poor version that goes against Trump claiming no-one would lose coverage who has it now- Trumps promised one still hasn't materialized, and on Israel he is happy with a 1 state solution, or a 2 state solution, or whatever the other guys are happy with! his main spokeswoman is under investigation for promoting Trump's daughters products in a news interview from the White House whilst speaking in her official capacity, he is struggling to get a bunch of cabinet in place and passed scrutiny, even from his own side, and one has been forced to withdraw for wife battery and one of the few that made it through has been sacked already for lying to the Vice President and presumably everyone else about what he discussed with Russia before Obama left Office and there are least two Congressional investigations and an FBI one into Russia interference in the US political system.
In what reality is that things working 'like a fine-tuned machine'  scratch

He not only seems frighteningly out of his depth but his administration has been completely incompetent so far and now he also seems to be quite delusional about the state of affairs.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Trump seems even less suited to the job than I could have imagined, at this rate he'll be gone before even the mid term elections get started...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 pm

dat Netanyahu thingie

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 Stewart_zpsq2el0qrp
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Acosta is a pretty good pick for Secretary of Labor. Maybe they're starting to figure out how this game works...

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/16/transcript-president-trumps-press-conference.html

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 pm

{{{Reading parts of that back its like a drunken ramble- and thats me saying that!! drunken }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:10 am

Okay, so I watched the whole thing. I think once you get used to his style it definitely isn't as bad as being reported, and he does a have a good point about biased reporting by the press. He tells the press to their faces that they are dishonest, but he's almost being playful about it in person, not raging at them. He said himself all the papers will say he's raging away, but he did seem to be enjoying himself as he said, though part of that enjoyment seemed to be telling reporters in their face that they were about to ask a 'dishonest' question.

That's not to say he doesn't make wildly inaccurate statements like that he won the most electoral votes since Ronald Reagan, but the bad is being over-reported compared to the good. He does seem to be honestly concerned about helping in the inner cities - doesn't mean he won't be tone deaf about how he does it - but at least he does seem honestly concerned. You won't see that reported. Anyway, even if the reporting does get more balanced I'll still not be happy with him.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:13 am

US General Election 2016 - Page 6 2017%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Any bets that 4 years from now we'll still be hearing from him about how many votes he got in the electoral college?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next