Ringdrotten
malickfan
David H
Eldorion
Bluebottle
18 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 40 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 am

Not a film but a TV show 'The Undoing' with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. Its weird, he seriously needs some botox and she has had so much she keeps making weird monkey expressions with her lower lip. Really odd what too much botox and fillers can do to the human face. I spent all the time staring at her monkey muzzle instead of attending to the story. Its set in New York and its very classy, and she has a wardrobe that I could only dream about. I enjoyed it though.

Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 40 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 am

Since Ringo seems to be hanging around here briefly, I thought I'd give him a better reason to finally watch Desperado.  Years ago he saw a scene (the "band" shoots up the town) and decided on the basis of that it could't possibly be a good film.  Well, that happens to be the most slapstick of the shoot-em-up scenes in the whole film (all of which have comic elements), and only works once put in context.

To get a true feeling for Desperado, you have to watch the absolutely brilliant opening scene.  Steve Buscemi had seen Rodrigo's first work, El Mariachi, a shoestring affair ($7,000) shot entirely in mexico that took the film world by surprise.  On the strength of that he told Rodrigo he wanted to be in his next film.  But the next film had already been written, so Rodrigo in desperation wrote this opening scene for Steve Buscemi (the character is even called "Buscemi" in the script) and inserted him briefly in a couple other places so it would tie in.  Steve Buscemi basically only asked to get his expenses paid, and got his money's worth by committing to posterity one of the greatest scenes he ever did:

After that the film belonged to Antonio Banderas, and I'd also call it perhaps the greatest performance of his life.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:49 pm

Im am so with you on that Halfy ! I love Steve Buscemi. He feels so natural, as tho he isnt acting, this really happened to him. I liked him in the film Fargo too Smile

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 40 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 40 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:06 pm

And he was acting the telling of a made-up story within the film, in order to judge their reaction. But he does it so naturally you can even pick up on this double layer as he's telling it - the actor acting within in his acting role. Truly an incredible performance.

I don't think he ever got the recognition he deserved until Boardwalk Empire. Great series.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:28 am

halfwise wrote:Since Ringo seems to be hanging around here briefly, I thought I'd give him a better reason to finally watch Desperado.  Years ago he saw a scene (the "band" shoots up the town) and decided on the basis of that it could't possibly be a good film.  Well, that happens to be the most slapstick of the shoot-em-up scenes in the whole film (all of which have comic elements), and only works once put in context.

To get a true feeling for Desperado, you have to watch the absolutely brilliant opening scene.  Steve Buscemi had seen Rodrigo's first work, El Mariachi, a shoestring affair ($7,000) shot entirely in mexico that took the film world by surprise.  On the strength of that he told Rodrigo he wanted to be in his next film.  But the next film had already been written, so Rodrigo in desperation wrote this opening scene for Steve Buscemi (the character is even called "Buscemi" in the script) and inserted him briefly in a couple other places so it would tie in.  Steve Buscemi basically only asked to get his expenses paid, and got his money's worth by committing to posterity one of the greatest scenes he ever did:

After that the film belonged to Antonio Banderas, and I'd also call it perhaps the greatest performance of his life.

I had compeltely forgotten about that Laughing I’ve yet to see Steve Buscemi do anything I didn’t like, and absolutely agree on Boardwalk Empire. I will watch it, and I’ll see if I remember the scene in question too Very Happy

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 40 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:42 am

You'll remember the offending scene when you see it, it's an outlier that's there to tweak the fact that everything seen up to that point was already over the top.  Enjoy!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:49 am

One of the streaming services I subscribe to had it, added to my list Smile

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 40 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:46 am

So Goldfinger is universally rated the best Bond flim, and since I hadn't seen it in decades and didn't remember the details, I decided why not, I'd watch it.

So it's a series of Bond trying to do things and getting caught, then gets locked away and tries something else and gets caught...finally after several of these fiascos he seduces Pussy Galore and off screen she calls the CIA and gets the military to pull off this big fake out which Bond isn't even aware of. Then at the end end he can't even disarm the bomb: someone else walks up and does it at the last second.

So the #1 Bond movie is just a series of him floundering around and accomplishing nothing except offhandedly managing to seduce the right girl? And she doesn't even bother to let him know she fixed everything? And in fact she's flying the plane that lets Goldfinger kidnap Bond at the end?

What the actual hell?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:39 am

{{ Not my favourite thats for sure- I like Dr No. Least he acts like a spy in that and the character is closer to the books, in that hes a right bastard.  Nod }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:58 pm

yep agree Goldfinger isnt the best. My favourite is 'From Russia with love'.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 pm

That was on my list to rewatch as well. I keep getting it mixed up with the spy who loved me, so I suppose I need to watch both. *sigh*

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:27 pm

I liked "Man with the golden gun" because I liked Christopher Lee & the soundtrack. Roger Moore wasnt that cold blooded as Bond I feel. He was the smooth suave type that felled women easily Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:44 pm

{{ Oh I think Seans Bond felled more woman- literally! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:58 pm

yeah, probably Smile but where as Connery's Bond felt no qualms at hitting a woman I think Moores Bond did ? tho I maybe wrong ? Havent seen all the films in yonks ! Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Moore's problem is he stuck with it too long so that he got the stiffness of an old man, which is an image that sticks with you. Just wasn't believable in a fight anymore.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 pm

Watched a film called Skyscraper... if you don't mind leaving your brain at the door then it was OK.

But really.... leave it at the door.

-------

https://www.forumshire.com/viewtopic.php?t=1486
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40