+3
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
halfwise
7 posters

Go down

Historically Correct Swordfighting Empty Historically Correct Swordfighting

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:45 pm

People who study it say Hollywood gets it all wrong, which is no surprise, but nice to know how it really should go. 1.5 hours long. I'll watch it a bit later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTi-NGQNh8&feature=youtu.be

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Historically Correct Swordfighting Empty Re: Historically Correct Swordfighting

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:51 pm

I guess it's only natural they'd skew it to make it look good. That's the nature of the beast. (Hollywood.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:04 am

And make it more exciting!

This is actually a subject I've spent some time watching videos about and reading up on. Not that I really know the first thing about actual sword-fighting, I do at least have some common-sense ideas that I've seen in certain videos about melee combat concepts. Things like reach, speed, targeting, and so on.

What is this video you posted Halfwise? Can you give us a condensed review of its content?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 am

It unfortunately is really a study of the community rather than the techniques. I watched it clear through and the only real information I picked up is that sharp sword edges will 'catch' each other while practice sword edges will slide off each other; so you really need to work with both. Also that any real sword fighter has to train in wrestling as well, as that is what a fight will often come down to. They didn't seem to be purists back then.

I was hoping for a treatise on how things in films are done wrong and the historical equivalents. Kept watching because there's a larger contingent of young women than one might expect, and was charmed. A Kiwi named Sarah Swords (real name) was featured prominently.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 pm

when you look at some of those weapons they used in the mediaeval period you wouldn't need to do too much fannying around, most of them were based on farming and butchery implements, I am thinking of halberds, they are basically meat cleavers on poles. the injuries must have been horrific.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:15 pm

except for bombs and machine guns I think all the old fighting tools would leave you more mangled than today's. I'd much rather be hit by a bullet than an arrow.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:48 pm

I did a little sword work when I trained all so briefly, in Ninjitsu. The biggest thing I've noticed that a sword fights should be incredibly short affairs. Unless the opponents are both highly skilled and experienced enough. Unfortunately I don't have footage of that. When using defending we were always taught not to aim our own swords at the others, but to aim at the hands and arms holding the sword. In other words, if our strike is good enough to hit a blade, it can also hit his person. If it can't then he too is out of range and not a danger. Very simple logic I grant you, but it worked.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:08 am

I didn't watch the video but I did mess around with fencing lessons for a couple years and a little kendo too. In training they teach you to land the first blow at all costs, but the difference in real conflict is that the action doesn't stop after the first blow is landed. You can see that in the older training manuals, and also in the number of soldiers who were missing bits.

Like most hand to hand combat, the winner is often the one who can absorb a couple blows and still overwhelm his opponents. A lot of sword blows are not fatal, and war wounds were just part of a days work.

So maybe Monty Python got it right!

Historically Correct Swordfighting 6-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-quotes

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:25 am

Interesting Nod Its obvious when its laid out in plain English. "cat" fights are like that. Disable your opponent in any means, cutting palms, breaking fingers etc Smile I think a hearty kick to the doughnuts helps Laughing

Historically Correct Swordfighting Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Historically Correct Swordfighting Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:32 pm

azriel wrote:Interesting Nod  Its obvious when its laid out in plain English. "cat" fights are like that. Disable your opponent in any means, cutting palms, breaking fingers etc Smile  I think a hearty kick to the doughnuts helps Laughing  

Yup, very much like that, a lot of the Ninjitsu style is based on very fast, decisive moves. Unlike Hollywood, it's not very showy and while there is a lot of history with black suits and what not, I've never saw any film that got "Ninjas" right.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 pm

I should imagine the first person to get tired wouldn't survive. I bet you could be a good swordsman but if you were puffed a less skilled person could worst you easily enough.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum