Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
halfwise
bungobaggins
Forest Shepherd
11 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 Empty Re: Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony

Post by bungobaggins Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 TzvW4XH

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 Empty Re: Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Now why didn't I think of that. Rolling Eyes

depends on how much a spray paint job is. you could choose you favourite colour. pimp that ride.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Well I think I'm getting the white '09 Ford Ranger. I met the guy and looked the truck over thoroughly.
Pros:
It handles very nicely.
The rear brakes are new.
Smooth shifting.
Comfortable seats.
Pretty good amount of power.

Cons:
No space behind seat so noone will ever be able to put their seat back inside.
Only a basic radio inside, no CD/USB player!
Some leaves blew out of the passenger side floor-heating vent when I tested out the AC.
Some small dings on the outside, and two rips in the driver-side seat.
And then there is general light rust on most of the underside. Nothing bad, but a lot more than I would expect on a 2009 truck if I bought it in California. (I would expect zero rust on such a truck in California and maybe this much on a 15-20 year old truck.)

I wussed-out last minute and only brought his price down from $6450 to $6100. I think some more dramatics would have forced his hand and he would have agreed to $5800. Or maybe if I jumped him and wrestled him into a half-nelson for half an hour. Maybe even down to $4800 if we tickled him for another half-hour after that! Twisted Evil

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm no expert on used truck prices but that sounds like a reasonable number to me.  The rust thing is a little worrying but hopefully it's a surface issue and can be dealt with easily enough.  Congrats on the new wheels whenever it becomes official!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:27 pm

get it checked out by a pro-mechanic to see if its superficial rust. or maybe some sort of written agreement for the guy to pay for any structural repairs if its bad rust.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm going to look it over again one last time before I hand over the money. A handshake is well and good, but there is no gentleman's court last I checked so if I change my mind last-minute he'd just have to deal with it.

Yeah the price is probably right Eldo. Rangers depreciate relatively quickly, but for this mileage the KBB and NADA value is around $5800-7100 from a private seller depending upon trim (like, stereo and power window sort of things). This one is really just the base model. I even have to replace the stereo and unless I do it myself it'll probably be $150-200 in total over at Best Buy.

Geez, I'm getting pretty good at complaining about vehicles. Better stop now.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:23 am

A turn of events has occurred!
As it turns out, this truck's EPA regulations aren't quite up to snuff to California standards. I think it was only something relatively minor, like re-calibrating the computer codes, that needed doing, but I've decided to get the truck for my dad instead!
He's had a long string of crappy cars for as long as I can remember, and he had said how much he likes this truck when he test drove it for me.
And so I bought it for him! I think he'll be able to pay me back later, at least in part, but right now he's strapped for cash and had been expecting to have to try and patch up an old Toyota truck that had a few dozen things wrong with it (and guzzled gas).
Anyway, I feel pretty great and my mom's real proud of my taking good care of my dad like this. He's doing well health-wise, but ever since his stroke he's had trouble understanding the legality of his parent's farm inheritance that's being left to him and his sister and has been sort of scraping past the last couple years.
Well and his sister is kind of hoarding everything to herself right now and keeping him in the dark as to what's going on and so on. Keeping him on rather a short leash.  Mad
But that's family for you I guess!

Anyway, I'll try and find something a little less expensive when I get back to California. Hopefully my dad will get some of that money back to me by then, but otherwise I have two work-checks coming in then and I think I have enough stored away.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:15 pm

that's a very generous and kind thing you did for your dad. Nod I think good deeds are always repaid in some form or other.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Very kind, indeed. Nod

You are very lucky your dad is still around after his stroke. We lost my grandfather last year to a hemorrhagic stroke. He was in the hospital for a couple weeks and passed on All Saints Day.

{{{This way you can also avoid any unwanted Minnesota rust on your vehicle. }}}

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Thats love for you, never needs a "thank you" either, ( but nice when you get one ! ) You got a heart of gold Forest

Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:10 am

Oh gosh, I'm blushing. :hug:

I drove the truck today for the first time and I definitely want a manual for my next vehicle. I feel far more in control.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:27 am

I feel far more in control.- Forest

Well I should bloody well hope so if your in charge of a truck!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:37 am

Razz

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:52 pm

That was really sweet of you, Forest. I hope things work out well for both you and your dad!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:24 pm

So I'm heading back to California on Friday and I've begun looking for a new car again. It's quite a bugger of an experience because now that I've already gone through all the steps of buying a truck and seen what it's like I am leaning more toward a sedan or hatchback. The only problem is that for the foreseeable future I will be working general contracting, and a truck would be handy at work.

But then really good gas mileage is quite attractive both economically and environmentally, for whatever that is worth.

So here's 4 options I've been mulling over, any thoughts? They're all between $7,500-8,800. (£4,900-5,750) and all of them are manual 5-speeds (I think).

2011 Ford Fiesta. The miles are real low but the asking price is actually slightly below kbb value, somehow.
Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 00r0r_2PEBqZkUrEG_600x450
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5270823927.html

2011 Ford Fiesta hatchback. It sounds like it's been taken very good care of. 55,000 miles.
Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 00L0L_8BYGOwMDEv4_600x450
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5263456952.html

2008 Volkswagen Jetta,
Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 00t0t_5hu4Y0q7vab_600x450
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5279485673.html
*or*
2010 Volkswagen Jetta
Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 00202_gckpWO6W0w1_600x450
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5263065849.html

And finally the same vehicle, basically, that I just bought, but in silver and a year newer:
2010 Ford Ranger,
Automobiles: The Agony and the... more Agony - Page 3 00t0t_jzsvTGzzhRn_600x450
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5274381030.html

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:00 pm

How much do you drive outside of work? If not much, go for your original truck. If a lot, I'd lean towards the fiesta or jetta.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm

find out who owned them before, a middle aged female is less likely to have pranged it. Unless its an Italian middle aged female, then the opposite is true.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Suspect Given the way many middle aged women I know drive I find that questionable! (Maybe Scots wimmin and Italian lassies are alike! Shocked )

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:02 pm

I think Scottish females are probably just drunk, Italians have no sense of danger as if they were drunk, but they are sober, which is more worrying. they should all be tied up on their sofas in front of 'The Bold and the Beautiful'.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Laughing

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:21 pm

One of the funniest comments I heard when visiting Europe came out when noting the narrow winding mountain roads in Austria, which the locals seemed to zip around unphazed. Don't remember who made the remark, but...

"Even an Italian will pull over when they see an Austrian license plate heading their way."

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:48 pm

I've been pretty happy with my Ford hatchback. It doesn't have great storage capacity but it's more than a regular sedan. And even though it's ancient in car terms it does comparably in terms of gas mileage to my girlfriend's much newer crossover (Jeep Compass). I don't drive it much though and when I do it's mostly just to and from work without needing to transport much.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:55 am

Thanks for sharing the personal experience Eldo.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:48 am

I miss having a hatchback. Sad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum