Eldorion
David H
halfwise
16 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

US General Election 2016 - Page 22 Empty Re: US General Election 2016

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:02 am

This election is real isn't it? - its not like a huge publicity stunt for something? Or a weird global hallucination?

It's a hallucination produced by commercial television coupled with a changing country that make some people feel they are losing rather than winning. Simple as that.

Both choices scare the shist out of me Hillary and trump for president.

I'm just curious - what is it about Hillary that could possibly be as scary as Trump? (not that she doesn't have her bad qualities).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Halfwise, you misunderstood me. I didn't intend to imply that she worried me more than Trump.
He is by far the scariest of them all to me with his fascist rhetoric. His attitudes and mannerisms would point the nation and the world in the direction of conflict and woe.

Hillary on the other hand has always struck me as untrustworty and deceptive. She talks the talk of helping the common man like some sort of Nice liberator and champion of The People while the bitter and cold heartless look in her eyes speaks to me of the liar playing a game of deception with a hidden agenda to save individuals from themselves by dictating from on high what we Should do. Like an overbearing bad mother.

I'm neither democrat or republican. From my perspective there really isn't much difference in their behavior. They talk like there is but their actions betray their sales pitches. They both suck and are liars promoting things they never really reveal in clear words or actions.

Of course this is an extremely complex conundrum this governing business with no easy answer or more likely no answer at all.

Good luck to us all and to each a good day.

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

US General Election 2016 - Page 22 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:01 pm

yeah, I don't refer to myself as democrat or republican for the same reasons, but if we had to end up with a leader who was just following the motions to get the vote, I'd rather it was the democratic motions. Fewer people hung out to dry.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:09 pm

I would prefer Hilary if I had to choose. Trump seems like a non Italian Benito Mussollini and Berlusconi love child.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Halfwise and figg,
If those two are the choices I agree. Although the thought of Hillary as president makes me cringe.

At least she will be thwarted in most of her efforts by the many who would oppose her tooth and nail.
I personally prefer a split government which can make few changes.

At least she seems less likely to wage self righteous war in the world which is a big concern of mine.

The thought of either winning makes my stomach flip.

Are either of these really the best we can put forward to lead?

That is what is most unbelievable to me. I have to think that is not true and that America is playing a fixed and dirty game that someone is manipulating us all with for unseen reasons. Makes NO sense to me whatsoever. Peace to all.

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

US General Election 2016 - Page 22 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:26 pm

first female president has to be an interesting opportunity. Shrugging
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Music of the Ainur wrote:
Are either of these really the best we can put forward to lead?

That is what is most unbelievable to me. I have to think that is not true and that America is playing a fixed and dirty game that someone is manipulating us all with for unseen reasons. Makes NO sense to me whatsoever. Peace to all.

The way I see it, now sensible person would ever consider doing such an impossible job with so much responsibility and so little real power, even without having to survive such a gauntlet of abuse to even get there.  Any truly sensible, capable, intelligent leader would clearly pick a more realistic goal to devote their life to. And so we get stuck with the egotists, masochists and sadists... Suspect

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:13 pm

I would actually call Hillary quite capable, the email server business notwithstanding. She's looking quite fake now in the game to get votes, but she's far more likely to reason her way through a real situation than bluster her way through it. By 'real' I mean not a media firestorm, which she is inclined to bluster her way through.

She's got the intellect to see her way through subtle international waters, even if she's too tone-deaf to sell domestic policy. And I think her domestic policy would be good if she can just figure out how to sell it. Her major weakness is she doesn't seem real to people, so they are suspicious of her good as well as her self serving motives.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:46 pm

The problem for Hilary as I see it is not just the perception of dodgy goings on, but actual dodgy goings on, not just the email thing which frankly is now so political its impossible to determine any truth from any more, but also the money from donations going to the Clinton Foundation and being spent on shit like private jets for the Clintons instead of good causes seems a pretty robust case to me and looks like thats what has indeed been happening.
I think her main problem is people think she is first and foremost self-serving.

This does not however necessarily make her bad as a President, all politicians have to be self-serving to some degree. The problem lies in how far she will go with it- will she cut international deals which might not necessarily be for the benefit of the country so much as for the post-Presidential years of the Clintons for example?
Right now, I wouldn't put it past her.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:50 pm

halfwise wrote:I would actually call Hillary quite capable, the email server business notwithstanding.

I'll give you capable. I'll give you intelligent. It's 'sensible' and 'leader' I've got my doubts about. Suspect

About as enthusiastic as I can get about Hillery is "She'll do, I guess..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:11 pm

you have all probably had a Hillary Clinton presidency already. I have the feeling she was always the brains in the family.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:35 pm

I'd call it an even split. Bill comes across as folksy, but he's about as smart as they come. A woman like Hillary wouldn't marry anyone below the 99.5th percentile.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:38 pm

I think Hillary would be a pretty competent President in most respects, but her approach to foreign policy worries me (though not nearly as much as all the major GOP candidates) and I find the sense of entitlement (and resulting dirty tactics) she used against Obama in '08 and seems to be beginning to use against Bernie now to be off-putting. Haven't dug deep enough into the Clinton Foundation scandal to know how much has merit and how much is purely partisan (like Benghazi).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:59 pm

I've got Primary burnout; still interested in seeing the Iowa results, especially now that Bernie is a legitimate threat.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:43 pm

If Bernie wins in Iowa and/or New Hampshire I think he has a legit shot at riding the wave of media attention to far more primary victories than most people were expecting. But I'd still call Clinton the favorite.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:30 am

It all comes down to who independents would vote for in the end. Will Trump drive all of them into the hands of democrats, or is there a chance they'd prefer him to Hillary or Bernie? On the other hand, republicans who can't stand Trump would most likely vote for Hillary over Bernie.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am

US General Election 2016 - Page 22 0d018bd8898e322cb32b0593a481528d

Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 am

US General Election 2016 - Page 22 LzOIgSs

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:03 am

I think Bernie's my guy. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:43 am

Having your heart in the right place isn't the only requirement for being president, unfortunately. Being able to manipulate people counts for a lot - especially powerful people. Bleak, but true.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:22 am

halfwise wrote:It all comes down to who independents would vote for in the end.

Reuters wrote:
Michael Bloomberg may launch independent U.S. presidential bid: source
By Dustin Volz and Steve Holland

This is promising to be an interesting election.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:30 am

Wait, what? Bloomberg?

This has the potential to be amazing. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:48 pm

In the battle of billionaires there's no question who wins the sanity vote. The problem is Bloomburg has totally lost the gun vote. Hard to tell which is more important.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:32 pm

The beauty of it all is that Trump, who's identified as a Democrat for most of his life, is running as a Republican, while Bloomberg who used to be a Republican would be running as an Independent, while at the same time Sanders, a life-long Independent, is running as a Democrat. Shocked

If all three of these guys make it to the general election, I think we can declare the two-party system officially dead. Nod

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:37 pm

halfwise wrote:In the battle of billionaires there's no question who wins the sanity vote.  The problem is Bloomburg has totally lost the gun vote.  Hard to tell which is more important.

Not totally, I'm thinking. There are a lot of sane gun owners who have supported the gun lobby in the past, but are becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the NRA and nut-case extreme rhetoric of the far right. Bloomberg could just be the man to split the pro-gun vote. Smile

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next