Tolkien in General - Page 37 Empty Re: Tolkien in General

Post by azriel Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:25 pm

she says Dune like... doon, i say it like...dewn Smile accents eh ? Smile

Tolkien in General - Page 37 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tolkien in General - Page 37 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:33 pm

I dont like hypothesize about why Tolkien disliked Dune, Id rather keep to what I know. When you start to hypothesize you are guessing things about a person and that leads you away from that person. You might end up in a grey area and that doesnt sit comfortably with me. What I dont know about Tolkien Id rather just keep to what Ive found out, ( as long as its true Smile )

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:52 pm

azriel wrote:she says Dune like... doon, i say it like...dewn Smile  accents eh ? Smile

I'd have to hear it to know what you are talking about. I'd pronounce both of those the same way!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:59 am

Bah, who cares if Tolkien disliked Dune. It's certainly not a contest between it and LotR!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:02 pm

I'd have to hear it to know what you are talking about. I'd pronounce both of those the same way!- Halfy

{{ I read Azriel's post as - Dune pronounced as in Moon but with a d. And Dew (as in 'morning dew')-ne for the second one.
I say the second one, as the first one would be confusing in Scots as its same sound and spelling as Scots for down, doon, as in "oh shite! Ma buckie hus takun a heider doon the brae an hud the arse smashed oot o' it, an aw ma buckie is pishin' awa'!". ("Oh shit! My bottle of buckfast wine has taken a tumble down the hill and the bottom of the bottle has broken, and all its contents are pouring away."}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:34 pm

Sorry, in America both are pronounced the same way. D(m)oon and Dew-n are one and the same to our ears.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:37 pm

{{ OK then the second one to your ears would not sound like Dew-ne rather Jew-ne }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:02 pm

All the same sound. Dew-ne rhymes exactly with Jew-ne and June and moon.

Linguists may hear some regional variation in the words, but if you told any of the general riff-raff that they were pronounced differently you'd get a blank stare. Even if we say it differently we can't hear it.

It's sort of the inverse of telling Brits they pronounce "pass" and "parse" the same way. You lot are convinced you are sticking an "r" in the second one, but you ain't. It's pure head fake.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:38 pm

{{ Americans! Not only have you killed your palette off, food and alcohol, apparently you're also tone deaf!
And of course parse has an r in it it rhymes with arse, whereas pass rhymes with ass. Totally different sounds!
And how can Doon sound like Jew-ne?! There isn't a 'j' sound in doon, its d as in do!! Mad Its madness. Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:05 pm

Doon rhymes with Jewne.

I'd like to here a recording of a Brit saying Ass and Arse. My guess is they are the same. Americans say them different, not the Brits.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 pm

{{ Certainly in west of Scotland they are totally different sounding, we wouldn't use ass for arse anyway so the only time it's likely to be heard is in reference to a donkey. But if you mean arse you use arse with a notable, long rolled Scots r in it, 'arrrse' which ass, not having an r in it, simply has no hint of at all.

edit add 'arse' incoming at 1.13, v strong language throughout however you watch the whole clip-

}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:26 pm

Oooo, I love it Smile started something here Smile Im with Petty on Dewn or Doon, we say dewn, Ass and Arse are different. We sometimes say "my arse" if we dont believe something, Ass is a donkey like creature. Its like vase ( vayze) or vase ( varse ) I say it with a R included but, Northerners often say Wuz while I say woz, ( was and, was ) Smile
reading this down its like a tongue twister in a way, which reminds me of the fabulous Danny Kaye and his great rendition of....

Danny Kaye: The pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true, right?
Mildred Natwick: Right, but there's been a change. They ... broke the chalice from the palace.
Danny Kaye: They ... broke the chalice from the palace?
Mildred Natwick: ... and replaced it with a flagon.
Danny Kaye: A flagon?
Mildred Natwick: ... with a figure of a dragon.
Danny Kaye: A flagon with a dragon.
Mildred Natwick: RIGHT.
Danny Kaye: But, did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Mildred Natwick: Noooo, the pellet with the poison is in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Danny Kaye: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Mildred Natwick: Just remember that.

The fun they must have had rehearsing that ! It must have been laughs all the way Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:12 am

He only said one, and I don't know whether it was ass or arse, because with you Brits we can't tell if you're saying an R or dreaming you said it, and half the time you say it when you shouldn't be! "I have an idear". Shocked

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:21 am

This is the only thing I've seen that gets to the heart of why Tolkien did not like democracy.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 37 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 35, 36, 37