The Hobbit animated Empty Re: The Hobbit animated

Post by MrHat Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:47 am

Oops sorry, just realized there is already a thread for this Embarassed

MrHat
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:20 am

You're right, it is a little awkward! I wish the facial animation was a little more...animated, but I suppose it could be either for stylistic or efficiency reasons. It will be fun to watch the story unfold episodically. Very Happy

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Well that was terrible. Their voices reminded me of Magica more than anything else, and they all sucked at voice-acting.
The reduction of the number of dwarves was meaningless, the invented ability of the dwarves to teleport inside Bag End weird, and the rapist-hobbit at the very beginning disturbing.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:40 pm

No one can do this story right. The closest anyone has come was Rankin Bass.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:47 pm

we could do it better.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Too soon to say whether it's good, okay or crap, but I hope the next chapters are better Laughing I don't know if it's coincidental or not, but there were quite a few similarities with AUJ there - Dwalin and the way they're all seated around the table. Didn't like that, and I hope it doesn't continue.

Forest - it seems to me like they went in through the window, Bombur was just too fat to get in. I don't see the point, though. Why knock, then jump in through the window? Are they eight year old pranksters? And I completely agree about the dwarves. Even Jackson managed to get together 13 dwarves. Perhaps it became too much to animate, but still, you don't just remove half of the dwarves from TH Mad Kind of looking forward to the next one in spite of all this, though, much more than Bot5A at least Very Happy

The Hobbit animated Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:08 pm

The Good:

-The motion graphic idea worked well enough, the movement looked mostly convincing and the lip synching was very well done, If someone put together a professional budget and script I wouldn't be opposed to a proper remake in this sort of style.

-The designs and colour scheme, though hardly detailed, were bold and effective enough I suppose, reminded me of the Graphic Novel-the pinnacle by which I measure all Hobbit adaptations

-The music was kinda funky and catchy, though It would probably get annoying if they continue to play it the whole way through

-Good on them for adapting The Hobbit with no appendices malarkey so far

The Bad:

-Switching from BW to colour at the start didn't work for me

-Some of the framing/designs seem inspired by AUJ

-What's with the rapey eyes? Gandalf looks like someone's been touching him in his special place, Bilbo looks either confused or mildly drunk, The Dwarves look like hairy blank eyed farmers, and the quick shots of the other two hobbits were mildy creepy not reassuring.

-If I were new to the story I'd be thoroughly confused, very little detail or explanation is given about the how or whys, names or places, admittedly it's a only the first short episode and we don't know how big the budget or length is, but it isn't exactly the most thrilling of openings.

-Only 5 dwarves? Who can apparently teleport through thing air, no need for a Burglar then...

-Weak voice acting, sounded like someone doing a impersonation of a skyrim impersonation

-Bilbo didn't look 50 (though +1 point for not going the Armitage route on Thorin)

I'll keep an open mind depending on what they do with the rest of the story.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:17 pm

The voice-acting was definitely the worst part of it. It's a British story, so give them British accents. And if you're from Brussels or something weird and you literally can't find any actors that speak English without a weird-sounding accent, then translate the bloody thing into Dutch or whatever.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:The voice-acting was definitely the worst part of it. It's a British story, so give them British accents. And if you're from Brussels or something weird and you literally can't find any actors that speak English without a weird-sounding accent, then translate the bloody thing into Dutch or whatever.

I have a soft spot for John Huston's Gandalf Sofa

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:34 pm

well I just begged the guys from Hunt for Gollum to remake The Hobbit. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:38 pm

!!!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:48 pm

I respect the amount of work that undoubtedly went into this thing, but yeah. Not really feeling it. Limited animation is a reasonable cost-cutting measure, but I'd have hoped the savings might have allowed them to not truncate the story so much. And I agree that it would have sounded better in Dutch with subtitles, though that probably would have meant a much smaller audience from the largely English-centric Internet.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:we could do it better.

Could we? Very Happy

I'd say this is a good effort but it's not really my style. The constant camera drift seems like a trick to mask the simplicity of the animation. Simplicity itself isn't bad so long as the goal is to do something more akin to a "moving illustration". I do like the music though, and the design is interesting.

For my part, I'm falling back on my editorial/audio skills to see if I can make something of an epic fan edit that stays firmly planted on Bilbo and excises the more idiotic moments/sequences.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:12 pm

parzival wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:we could do it better.

Could we?  Very Happy Well Sin's already tempted to start writing a script...

I'd say this is a good effort but it's not really my styleI liked the designs, but a little too simplistic for me.  The constant camera drift seems like a trick to mask the simplicity of the animationyeah it seemed a bit...jittery.  Simplicity itself isn't bad so long as the goal is to do something more akin to a "moving illustration"I think a more illustrative style of animation is better suited to The Hobbit personally, at least if you adapt it as a stand alone novel, it's never quite felt in the same universe as Sil or LOTR to me, there is something rather quaint and Victorian about the book.  I do like the music thoughyeah it was catchy but constant!!!, and the design is interesting.  

For my part, I'm falling back on my editorial/audio skills to see if I can make something of an epic fan edit that stays firmly planted on Bilbo and excises the more idiotic moments/sequences[b]If you are editing Jackson's film that's going to be a very brutal edit.../b].  

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:18 pm

I'd love to know more about this script. Any drafts floating around?
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:27 pm

parzival wrote:I'd love to know more about this script.  Any drafts floating around?  

Sinister only mentioned it the other day as a project he might be tempted to do, I'm not sure if he was serious or not. He is recovering from serious surgery at the moment and has lots of free time on his hands, but the idea has been floated around here from time to time, It could be quite a fun thing to do, maybe even a forum project (Not that I'm volunteering straight away, Jackson may have issues with scripts, but I'd probably be worse...), if you look around the net you'll probably find a few fan scripts.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:44 pm

malickfan wrote:
Sinister only mentioned it the other day as a project he might be tempted to do, I'm not sure if he was serious or not. He is recovering from serious surgery at the moment and has lots of free time on his hands,
Happy to hear he's recovering and hope he's well.

malickfan wrote:but the idea has been floated around here from time to time, It could be quite a fun thing to do, maybe even a forum project (Not that I'm volunteering straight away, Jackson may have issues with scripts, but I'd probably be worse...), if you look around the net you'll probably find a few fan scripts.
I'll look around for sure. In the litany of problems the films have, I don't think Jackson's script is the #1 culprit though.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:21 pm

I think the number one problem is sexy Dwarves. Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm reluctant to claim that I could do something better when I have no experience with filmmaking whatsoever. Unless you have some cinematic work to your name (fan film or professional) it feels like an empty boast. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:32 pm

we need Dwarves with beards

The Hobbit animated Hmmmm_zpstnkpz4xq
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:55 am

For my part, I'm falling back on my editorial/audio skills to see if I can make something of an epic fan edit that stays firmly planted on Bilbo and excises the more idiotic moments/sequences. - parzival

Have you seen my purist edits because that exactly what they do.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:41 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:For my part, I'm falling back on my editorial/audio skills to see if I can make something of an epic fan edit that stays firmly planted on Bilbo and excises the more idiotic moments/sequences. - parzival

Have you seen my purist edits because that exactly what they do.

No, I'd love to. How did you make them? I'd be interested to know how you handled certain aspects of it.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:38 am

Just send me a pm parzival and I can give you access to my online drive and then you can either download or just watch the stream.

I edit mainly on Adobe Premiere pro CS6. I use  Audacity if I need to do any soundtrack editing. And Adobe After Effects for colour correction and the like.

Heres the first hour of my FotR purist edit (although this version is out of date now)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:57 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Just send me a pm parzival and I can give you access to my online drive and then you can either download or just watch the stream.

I edit mainly on Adobe Premiere pro CS6. I use  Audacity if I need to do any soundtrack editing. And Adobe After Effects for colour correction and the like.

Heres the first hour of my FotR purist edit (although this version is out of date now)

Whoaaaaaaaaa. Is that Michael Hordern from the BBC adaptation at the beginning? Man, you're going deep IMMEDIATELY. Very Happy

I'll PM you, thanks!
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next