Mrs Figg
azriel
Eldorion
halfwise
bungobaggins
25 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:34 am

I'd say you should probably watch Rise before Dawn. Mostly so you can get to know Caesar better, and a few of his side-men in that movie hold prominent roles in Dawn.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 am

Norc wrote:
Those marvel movies ...

Yeah, definitely feel like I need to watch the rest of the Marvel movies, starting with Iron Man.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:24 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Last apes film I saw was the Burton atrocity- is it worth watching whatever the other ones are before Dawn?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes in 2011 was a reboot of the franchise. Dawn is a direct sequel to that, although I don't think that (m)any of the human characters show up in it. The two films seem fairly different in tone and content, as well.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 am

I like your new avatar, bungo. Thumbs Up

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah, definitely feel like I need to watch the rest of the Marvel movies, starting with Iron Man.

Have you ever seen the first Iron Man?  It's far from perfect, but it's a ton of fun and up there with The Avengers as the best Phase One Marvel movie.  Some of the others are more on the miss side of hit-and-miss, though I've heard really good things about Cap 2.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:35 am

So should I bloody well watch Rise or not?!!  Is it any good? I dont want another Burton experience:x 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 am

It's much better than Burton's movie IMO. Give it a watch, it's only 2 hours or so. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 am

Eldorion wrote:I like your new avatar, bungo. Thumbs Up

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah, definitely feel like I need to watch the rest of the Marvel movies, starting with Iron Man.

Have you ever seen the first Iron Man?  It's far from perfect, but it's a ton of fun and up there with The Avengers as the best Phase One Marvel movie.  Some of the others are more on the miss side of hit-and-miss, though I've heard really good things about Cap 2.

Thanks. Smile

I saw it a long time ago, but the only part I remember is when he is in Afghanistan and makes the prototype Iron Man suit. I half-watched Captain America and Thor when they were available on Netflix. Didn't really pay attention while I was watching. You know, just something for background noise. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:43 am

Ill give Rise a watch then and if it makes me crabbit I know who to blame!

I saw Captain America- thought it was appalling with not a single redeeming factor save perhaps the body special effects.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:So should I bloody well watch Rise or not?!!  Is it any good? I dont want another Burton experience:x 

I liked Rise quite a bit. I couldn't even finish the Burton film.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:12 am

bungobaggins wrote:I saw it a long time ago, but the only part I remember is when he is in Afghanistan and makes the prototype Iron Man suit. I half-watched Captain America and Thor when they were available on Netflix. Didn't really pay attention while I was watching. You know, just something for background noise. Shrugging

Well, the Marvel movies (that I've seen, anyway) have all been pretty light, fluffy popcorn fare, but sometimes that's a nice change. I thought The Avengers, being a borderline comedy that put characters over plot (way, way over plot) was a lot more entertaining and enjoyable than TDKR, which had its brooding head too far up its own ass to be any fun watching. The MCU films have left enough of an impression on me that I wouldn't call them disposable, but there is a limit to how high I'll sing their praises. Still, I'm looking forward to Avengers 2, which is more than I can say for a lot of film franchises six years after they started.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I saw Captain America- thought it was appalling with not a single redeeming factor save perhaps the body special effects.

Out of curiosity, was it the first or the second?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:21 am

They made more than one of them?  Mad 

The following contains spoilers for whichever one I watched, in a hazy drunk sort of way  drunken  -

Um he starts of skinny, gets exposition hurled at him, goes all beefcake in a machine, chases some implausible villains. Then goes to Nazi Germany where he meets a collection of international stereotypes, a pretty lady, and a mad scientist bloke who seems to have secretly built an army larger than Hitlers and about a million years more advanced. And then the Capt saves the day by somehow getting from Germany to America in a prop plane in about ten minutes. Then he wakes up in the future and I smashed my tv  Mad 

Mind you, still not as bad an ending as Burtons Apes debacle- you missed a bullet there Eldo.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 pm

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:

Well, the Marvel movies (that I've seen, anyway) have all been pretty light, fluffy popcorn fare, but sometimes that's a nice change.  I thought The Avengers, being a borderline comedy that put characters over plot (way, way over plot) was a lot more entertaining and enjoyable than TDKR, which had its brooding head too far up its own ass to be any fun watching.  The MCU films have left enough of an impression on me that I wouldn't call them disposable, but there is a limit to how high I'll sing their praises.  Still, I'm looking forward to Avengers 2, which is more than I can say for a lot of film franchises six years after they started.

I don't mind popcorn movies, as long as they're enjoyable (like GOTG). I'm going to have to disagree with TDKR. While it wasn't "the best movie ever made and Christopher Nolan is literally Jesus" I did feel that it warranted a darker tone, mostly based on the previous films.

Marvel has quite the long game planned out here, which is impressive. And I've never seen anything done like this with movies in my life. It's very impressive. And I'm glad we're getting GOTG sequel(s)! Very Happy

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:18 pm

I liked Batman Begins and (especially) The Dark Knight, but I thought TDKR got too complex and too long, in addition to making a number of other questionable story decisions. I don't have a problem with dark tones in general, but I don't think TDKR managed to execute well. That's probably a discussion best saved for another day.

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy was really good, the best marvel movie so far.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 pm

People at work were talking about it and I really want to see it, but we need to finish our Game of Thrones (re)watch tonight and then I'm at Otakon. Maybe between that and camping...
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:49 pm

You are not going to be away over your birthday are you Eldo?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:49 pm

drop everything you have in your hands and go see that fucking movie it was brilliant in every sense of the word.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 pm

I haven't seen any of these marvel films, yet I've been meaning to do so for ages.. I never get anything done Mad Which reminds me I've got some holiday pics to post.. Embarassed

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:54 pm

well, don't mind the other marvel ones, this is by far the best one. it had a very lighthearted humour and feel to it, yet the plot was good, made sense, no plot holes, grounded character you really feel for, very good special effects, limited use of CGI characters, the mayors being Groot and Rocket (which were really well done, Rocket had the voice of Bradley Cooper which was perfect) and others being one villain we saw very little of and space rats, Lee Pace (aka. Thranduil for those living under a rock) played a very cool and menacing loonatic-villain, some kind of religion-fanatic, and yeah. great movie. loved it. and for the love of God sit through the end credits, i had to pee very badly, but i sat through the first bit at least.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:56 pm

Its one of the few blockbusters in recent years where I have not heard anything bad said about it, not from critics and more importantly not from ordinary people who have seen it.

But I do feel burned by havingg seen Capt America, Iron Man and Avengers- all of which I thought were terrible.  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:58 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:You are not going to be away over your birthday are you Eldo?

I am indeed.  The 8th is a Friday this year, the first full day of Otakon, which means it runs from 9 AM until 2 AM the following day.  I might sneak online during downtime but I can't promise anything.  I'm doing birthday stuff with the family the day before (tomorrow, the 7th).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 pm

this one is not though. it has such great humour and it's not all seriousness and "ooh, we have to stop the bad guys and save the world". i haven't seen Cap. Am. 2, but i it's better i think. lol. that made little sense, but this is a very good movie. reminded me a bit of firefly.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Norc wrote:well, don't mind the other marvel ones, this is by far the best one.

I've heard that from several people, though I also heard that about Captain America 2, which I still haven't seen. The two films seem to have gone in fairly different directions, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:01 am

SEE THE GODDAMN GUARDIANDS OF THE GALAXY MOVIE! I MEAN IT! it is what every space-action-thing-movie should be! it's fucking awesome!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next