Scary Videogames

+2
Pettytyrant101
RA
6 posters

Go down

Scary Videogames Empty Scary Videogames

Post by RA Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:40 am

I've been watching this let's play of this really scary game.

The premise is that you're a security guard working the night shift for a pizza place with animatronics (think Chuck E Cheese) and the animatronics walk around at night. The corporate bosses are also cheap skates and give you very limited amounts of electricity.

The gameplay is basically trying to watch the cameras where the animatronics are and closing the doors if you see them in the hallway without running out of power; you have to last until 6am when the night shift ends. It's mostly a game of jump-scares and careful timing, but still startling.

Gameplay, kind of scary
Spoiler:

Do you guys have any really scary videogames you play or have heard of?

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Scary Videogames Empty Re: Scary Videogames

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:51 am

Well for me the best of the horror game sis still Silent Hill2- but I wouldnt call it scary so much as unrelentingly unnerving.

I quite liked the atmosphere of Alan Wake, like playing a Stephen King novel-

And the sheer visceralness of the original Condemned was a good one for scares too-

And Doom 3 has a few good jump out your kilt moments-

And Amnesia should provide a chill or two-

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 am

I played through Alan Wake recently when it was on sale on GOG and thought the atmosphere was good. A bit too cliffhangery for me though, even more so after the two DLC to explain things were also Cliffhangers...
I haven't seen the Silent Hill game in a long while though. I think I heard that the first Resident Evil (or was it Silent Hill after all?) was being remade maybe Silent Hill will get the same treatment. (Newer graphics and higher frame rate, but same game essentially).

Slenderman and the following it's gathered is fascinating I think, but I can't help but believe that ranking it next to Silent Hill is somehow undeserved on its part.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Half Life was scary pale

Scary Videogames Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Yeah it had its scare moments for sure Nod

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:50 am

Cry of Fear is quite scary. Or at least the beginning part. I fell for the jump-scare something fierce when I first played it. (I literally yelled out loud.)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:51 am

Not sure how many games I have played that were scary as I am older. Alone in the dark 4 had a few nervy moments where monsters would appear and pass by (like a shadow or something) and you wouldn't see it again.

Resident Evil!! Loved that game and that had 1 shit your pants moment.... anyone who had played it will know the dog corridor!!

Also, just started playing the last of us which is a bit nervy. Great game so far (minus a few glitches).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:56 am

Limbo scares me whenever the boy dies. The crunchy-impalement noises make me jump a little.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Still not played limbo. It looks like a modern version of a game I had back on the Amiga which was likewise a platformer where everything was in silhouette- but for the life of me I cant remember what it was called.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:41 pm

Blade Warrior?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:29 am

Has anyone seen that new playable trailer for Silent Hill? It has puzzles to solve to discover the actual trailer. The playable section is also incredibly disturbing.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:40 pm

I watched a playthrough of it- it certainly has the SH vibe, my main concern for it is that Hideo Kojima is onboard this one, and SH narrative has always been understated, leaving much to reside in the mind of the player. Whereas traditionally Hideo narrative in his games is like being drowned in the verbal excrement of a laxative addict. Mad

This might be balanced out by Del Toro also being involved.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:08 am

Your silence tells me it must have been Blade Warrior.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:21 am

sorry Forest, I somehow missed your post Embarassed drunken

But YES it was! Thank you I have been trying to remember the name of that game for about a decade now.

But how the buggery does a young whipper snapper like yourself know of such an obscure old Amiga game? I'm impressed. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:37 am

Don't be too impressed. Embarassed
'Twas my but small talent for choice search terms on google. Embarassed Embarassed
The first game console I owned was a PS2 (although I played older Nintendo when I was younger, and my older brothers let me) so I was just faking real knowledge.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 am

Im still impressed anyway as its one tiny thing less for me to have to be crabbit about now I know whats its called. Its been bugging me on and off for a very long time! (Now I can go download it for my Amiga emu cheers )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:50 am

sweet king

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:39 am

While not necessarily scary, I did find Myst and Riven to be creepy when I played them as a kid.

Sofa

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:03 pm

I played Myst a long time ago, I seem to recall it as a largely tranquil affair scratch

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Well, some parts yes, but mind you I'm playing this when I was a kid and the thought of being alone on this huge island and all the other worlds was a bit creepy.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Fair enough, when I say I played it along time ago that probably means I was in my twenties or there abouts.
I can see how the atmosphere might be a bit more creepy if your a lot younger at the time.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:34 pm

And don't even mention all the poorly lit rooms. Sofa affraid

bungobaggins