RA
bungobaggins
Johnnyd
19 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is Empty Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is

Post by Johnnyd Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:35 am

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719781;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Johnnyd
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is Empty Re: Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 am

So, basically that guy can't understand how anyone could possibly have a different opinion from him?

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is Empty Re: Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is

Post by RA Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:13 am

PJ and Co were inventing their OWN dialogue for 85% of the three TH movies while they used 90% of Tolkien's dialogue in LOTR. Why? Because Tolkien's writing in LOTR is downright legendary.
Unfortunately this is nowhere close to true. There are loads of instances where Tolkien's dialogue is replaced for little to now reason. Jackson and co have a bad habit of doing so. The Hobbit is far worse yes, though in their defense in may be due to the three film split (doesn't make it any more Ok) as the poster suggests.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:52 am

Maybe they meant PJ used 90% of the same letters in their words. That would at east be closer to the truth, but saying PJ used 90% Tolkien dialogue in LotR's is like me claiming I'm 90% sunshine and joy, and sober  Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 am

Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is Larf_zps072d5f24

Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 am

Yeah, that doesn't even merit a response.  We've all explained our reasons for disliking The Hobbit in detail, and if even Petty (who hates the LOTR films) can tell that they're worse than LOTR, then I'm not interested in trying to pierce the hardcore PJ fanboy bubble right now. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Well said Eldo, I scarcely post there anymore, not only do the endless posts about Thorin's hair by middle aged ladies get on my nerves, it seems to be a condition of membership that you be a bleating sheep following the heard with no dissenting opinion. I don't see how you can have a discussion forum if all you do is praise each other's praises, and I don't feel like I can dicuss the films If I'm too p*ssed off to watch them again in a hurry...

Several members of this Forum have been banned from TORn for having strong views that didn't sit well with TORn's Jackson worshiping policies.

(Although to be fair there are quite a few people who post there with more negative views on the films, it's just hard to find their opinions when all the film fans take a negative viewpoint as a personal attack on the genius Jackson).

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:14 pm

The irony is on the Main Page of TORn where they have their market of expensive toys for poor kids and slavering Hobbit fanboy articles, they have the sheer audacity at the end of the page to say ''let your voice be heard''!!!!! yep I tried letting my voice be heard but the mods dont allow my posts.  Suspect 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Weren't you banned twice Figgs?

The whole toy advertising thing makes me rather nauseous as well, I know they need advertising revenue to keep going, but I find most of the stuff they advertise rather tacky, and I know Tolkien wouldn't have approved...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:24 pm

What gets me is that they do all that advertising for Sideshow, Weta, LEGO, etc. But then they have the gall to ask for donations? Do they do all that advertising for free???

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Wouldn't surprise me! Come to think of it In the two years I've been a member I've never been asked to donate...

The films themselves are pretty much a massive advert for TORn, every other article and interview seems to refer to the site as the home of the 'true fans'.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:40 pm

They had a big pledge drive last year in which they were really pushing for donations.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:42 pm

yes Malick I was banned twice, and unlike here where I regularly abuse Petty (as is only right and just  Laughing ), I never used inflamatory Language and tried hard to keep my cool, but I did question the marketing of all that stuff which I think is yucky and I questioned the obsession with how much money the films were taking, as if it was a question of dollars = quality, and they got very uppity and soon hounded me out on a technicality. I post on the Main page articles but they hardly ever pass my posts, they misteriously disappear in the system. figures.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:50 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:yes Malick I was banned twice, and unlike here where I regularly abuse Petty (as is only right and just Agreed  Wink ), I never used inflamatory Language and tried hard to keep my cool, but I did question the marketing of all that stuff which I think is yucky and I questioned the obsession with how much money the films were taking There seems to be a new thread on this everyday, FOTR was by far the best film IMO yet tool the least money, as if it was a question of dollars = quality, and they got very uppity After hearing yours and Sin's stories I've frankly lost interest in TORn-it's boring with no actual discussion and soon hounded me out on a technicality. I post on the Main page articles but they hardly ever pass my posts, they mysteriously disappear in the system The main page is even worse a load of self congratulatory fan w*nkery it dosen't to be moderated though, perhaps you have a reputation? The only article they have posted about the books in the last month (or so seems) to be about The New Edition of The Adventures of T Bomb I let them know about.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:51 pm

bungobaggins wrote:They had a big pledge drive last year in which they were really pushing for donations.

My heart bleeds...

I wonder what will happen after the films wind down? Where will the publicity come from...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:56 pm

oh that sounds like a different page,  scratch  I mean the page at the beginning where they put notices up, I dunno what its called, its got a load of Smaug related stuff from China at the mo. you click on read more, and at the end they have comments. Its where the Desolation of Jackson article was a while back.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:01 pm

malickfan wrote:Wouldn't surprise me! Come to think of it In the two years I've been a member I've never been asked to donate...

We've asked for donations on here before, but our operating costs are so low (since the site is hosted through Forumotion.com) that we've been able to coast on what we have for a year or two.  But we may have another donation thread sometime in the next several months; hopefully that doesn't offend anyone. Wink

malickfan wrote:Several members of this Forum have been banned from TORn for having strong views that didn't sit well with TORn's Jackson worshiping policies.

I've been a member of TORn for over four years, though I've only been active occasionally, and it takes a little more than just criticizing Jackson to get banned from there. It's certainly not the most welcoming place for purists, but let's not go overboard. I get that people like the low-rules environment here (although I'm not quite as fond of it as I was when I helped start it Razz), but it's not the norm for forums.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:
malickfan wrote:Wouldn't surprise me! Come to think of it In the two years I've been a member I've never been asked to donate...

We've asked for donations on here before, but our operating costs are so low (since the site is hosted through Forumotion.com) that we've been able to coast on what we have for a year or two.  But we may have another donation thread sometime in the next several months; hopefully that doesn't offend anyone. WinkNot offended, but not particularly rich!

malickfan wrote:Several members of this Forum have been banned from TORn for having strong views that didn't sit well with TORn's Jackson worshiping policies.

I've been a member of TORn for over four years, though I've only been active occasionally, and it takes a little more than just criticizing Jackson to get banned from there.  It's certainly not the most welcoming place for purists I think it's more a case of Purists having to speak louder and coming across as more opinionated becuase of it,-I'm not exactly a purist but It's used as an insult by some on TORn , but let's not go overboard.  I get that people like the low-rules environment here (although I'm not quite as fond of it as I was when I helped start it RazzYou've been around a long time haven't you?), but it's not the norm for forums. I guess I have been taking this place for granted a bit, but it's definitely the most welcoming, open forum I've seen

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:40 pm

malickfan wrote:Not offended, but not particularly rich!

Obviously it's completely voluntary, though every little bit helps.  There are no special privileges that come with donation, though I had entertained the idea of offering a few prizes/incentives.  But I'd have to discuss that with the mods and/or the forum as a whole before making a decision.

I think it's more a case of Purists having to speak louder and coming across as more opinionated becuase of it,-I'm not exactly a purist but It's used as an insult by some on TORn

Oh, it's been used a put-down for years and on plenty of sites.  But I decided when I was starting out (before I even joined the old forum) that the term worked well enough and I was going to claim it and redefine to fit my opinions.  And it worked on that forum, and at first it did here too, but now Petty is the archetypal Forumshire purist. :PIt's interesting now that The Hobbit is coming out, though -- you have people who for years argued with purists (or would have if they'd been posting then) about LOTR now agree with them about TH's problems.  In some ways, it feels like the reaction from LOTR fans has been even more intense than from old school purists, perhaps due to having higher expectations at the beginning.  It's sort of blurred the lines between groups (though there's always been plenty of fuzziness).

You've been around a long time haven't you?

I'm not entirely sure when it happened, but I've somehow become the crotchety old man of this forum. :lol:It's especially weird because I still remember being a relative newbie on older sites, though I guess that was five years ago now.

I guess I have been taking this place for granted a bit, but it's definitely the most welcoming, open forum I've seen

I'm glad that you think that. :)I used to be a moderator on another Tolkien forum and I was quite the hardass (read: asshole) at times.  I decided I wanted to do something different when I ended up admin here.  I have mixed feelings about how everything turned out, but if people like it that goes a long way towards making it all seem worth it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
PJ and Co were inventing their OWN dialogue for 85% of the three TH movies while they used 90% of Tolkien's dialogue in LOTR. Why? Because Tolkien's writing in LOTR is downright legendary.
Unfortunately this is nowhere close to true. There are loads of instances where Tolkien's dialogue is replaced for little to now reason. Jackson and co have a bad habit of doing so. The Hobbit is far worse yes, though in their defense in may be due to the three film split (doesn't make it any more Ok) as the poster suggests.
Gandalf: You've changed, Bilbo Baggins. You're not the same Hobbit as the one who left the Shire...
Bilbo Baggins: I was going to tell you... I found something in the Goblin tunnels.
Gandalf: Found what? What did you find?
Bilbo Baggins: [pause]
Bilbo Baggins: My courage.
Gandalf: Good... well, that's good. You'll need it.

First of all, it comes out of nowhere. Gandalf has just expressed a need for haste, yet he stops to observe something about Bilbo. Second, it makes him seem like a dick.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Somebody from ToRn tell it how it is WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:13 pm

I think it's interesting that the general feeling about the Hobbit here seems to be dissapointment. Not despondency, not resignation. Which means poeple would have liked the movies to be good, I guess.

I don't really mind anyone enjoying the movies. If anything I would say I was happy for them. There are certainly enough silly action movies out there. My issues with the Hobbit movies comes from coming at them from the direction of the books.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I really wanted to love these films, I really did. I just couldnt do it, I couldnt kid myself. I went into the cinema to watch AUJ full of good expectations but it was pretty clear the moment I saw the Dwarves arrive that this was NOT going to work.  Sad theres something so fake and laboured about it, the way Fili walks in through the door, its this comedy sailor roll, as if he's going ''oooh look I'm a Dwarf! look at my Dwarf walk!'' its subtle but it took me immediately out of the film straight from the get go.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:54 am

All this talk of ToRn makes me think of Bree. Do you think that place is gone for good? It became a bit too heated for me to go back there near the end, but there were a lot of neat discussions prior.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 am

Recoveryanonymous wrote:All this talk of ToRn makes me think of Bree. Do you think that place is gone for good? It became a bit too heated for me to go back there near the end, but there were a lot of neat discussions prior.

Well for quite a while knowone seemed to be able to access the forum, it just came up with a website being configured message (or something like that) which made us think the new owners were going to re-launch the website eventually, but I just copied the website address straight from my confirmation email and my browser can't even locate the ip address, so apparently Bree doesn't even exist any more!  pale 

Maybe PM Sinister71?, last I heard he was still in contact with the new owners...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Yeah the Bree site seems well and truly dead now, not even a place holder left, just gone.

Im not sure Sin got much back form the new owners beyond confirming they had taken it over.
I dont blame the new owners really for not thinking it worth the time after TH films, they didnt exactly set the world of cinema alight.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next