halfwise
Norc
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 26 of 38 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32 ... 38  Next

Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 26 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by Elthir Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:46 pm

I officially offer my services as bio-picky horse-colour-consultant.

I plan to be a night-grey-mare to work with Neutral it's not etymology

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 26 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by David H Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:56 pm

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 26 6e4dddee8ef461df3dfb8f4675f25389

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Awesome.

But yet, I was automatically logged out of Forumshire after my last horse-colour based post.

Coincidence?

I think not or so!

I might have led this horse to Anduin once too often.

Giddyup!

Noro lim!

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 am

{{I may not be a Lore Master but that horse does not appear in anyway to be at all, grey Sofa }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Maybe "night grey"?

shows off skills to biopickers as a professional horse-colour-namer

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{I may not be a Lore Master but that horse does not appear in anyway to be at all, grey Sofa }}}

As I've said once or twice before, it's not about whether the horse APPEARS grey, it's about whether it IS grey, which is a horse of a different colour altogether, so to speak! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 pm

And "is grey" is what colour again... using words on a page as some writers do?

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:43 pm

I think it may be more proper to think of it as analogous to race in this case. If somebody were to identify themselves as white, or black, or brown, and somebody else were to ask "And "white or black or brown" is what colour again... using words on a page as some writers do?", what answer would you give them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Let me put it this way then, what colour do "is grey" type of horses (as a theoretical race of horses) appear to be?

Using words a writer would use tongue

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:51 pm

I think David's post as to races referred to as colors is helpful for most of us who otherwise haven't a clue what you two are yammering on about.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 pm

It's nearing Christmas... and the box has been opened!

"... but their captains and chieftains were upon horses, white and grey."

JRRT, The Fall of Gondolin, Unfinished Tales

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:10 pm

{{White? Thats a step too far surely, even for Tolkien! Mad Its like he is winding us up from beyond the sea Mad }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Elthir wrote:It's nearing Christmas... and the box has been opened!

"... but their captains and chieftains were upon horses, white and grey."

JRRT, The Fall of Gondolin, Unfinished Tales

Interpreted a certain way, that quotation could be used to support the position that Tolkien's horses can be grey while at the same time appearing white, hence horses who are both "white and grey" at the same time. Nod

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Elthir wrote:Let me put it this way then, what colour do "is grey" type of horses (as a theoretical race of horses) appear to be?

no pictures though Smile

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:37 am

Rather than a theoretical horse race, how about just one theoretical grey horse who was born of parents who were also theoretical grey horses (who might or might not appear white, at least in some lights)? At birth and through adolescence our young theoretical horse appears to be somewhere between jet black and coal black, but he culturally identifies with all the other theoretical grey horses around him who appear to be anywhere on the black -> white spectrum.

As he gets to be about 3 years old, snowy hairs start becoming noticeable in his sable coat, which takes on a dappled or mottled appearance, fading gradually towards the appearance of alabaster as the years pass. By the time he gets to be 20 he'd theoretically disappear in a snow storm if you were foolish enough to let him run free in one, as would any of his kin of the same age if given half a chance.

Does that paint a picture for you?
Smile

Last edited by David H on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:56 am

{{Hold on- are you trying to say snow is grey? scratch drunken }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Horsemaster? Lt. Kendrick ordered the colour red, didn't he? Because that's what you told Lt. Kendrick to do!

And when it went bad, you cut these quadrapeds loose! You had Markinson sign off on a phony grey transfer order, and you doctored the log book!

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:52 pm

David H wrote:Rather than a theoretical horse race (...) Does that paint a picture for you?

It does. But let's try another one  Very Happy

"... and after them came the Lady Galadriel and Celeborn, Lord of Lothlorien, riding upon white steeds and with them many fair folk of their land, grey-cloaked with white gems in their hair; and last came Master Elrond, mighty among Elves and Men, bearing the scepter of Annuminas, and beside him upon a grey palfrey rode Arwen his daughter, Evenstar of her people."

Tolkien's already painted a nice description here, but from this, what colour does Arwen's grey horse appear to be?

If an "is grey" horse doesn't necessarily appear grey to the eye...

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Elthir wrote:Horsemaster? Lt. Kendrick ordered the colour red, didn't he? Because that's what you told Lt. Kendrick to do!

And when it went bad, you cut these quadrapeds loose! You had Markinson sign off on a phony grey transfer order, and you doctored the log book!

Suspect
Son, we live in a world of shadows, and those shadows have to be guarded by men who measure the world in shades of grey. Who's gonna do it? You??

I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Finwë and you curse Morgoth. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; that  Finwë's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives!!!.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall!

We use words like Black, Grey, White. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline!

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you are entitled to!!! Mad

{{{I always wanted to say that! Smile Nod }}}

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 pm

Very Happy

Thumbs Up

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:37 am

Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 pm

According to someone on the Tolkien Society's Facebook page the exhibition that will be shown at the Bodleian Library in Oxford this year will be coming to the Morgan Library & Museum in NYC next year, tentatively scheduled for between January and May. It hasn't been officially announced yet but the person who posted about it apparently called both institutions to get confirmation. Would definitely be cool to get to see it. Smile

http://www.themorgan.org/
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 pm

that looks lovely inside Very Happy

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 26 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 26 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 pm

{{I like this guys Tolkien channel }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 pm

I'd go to the Morgan library just to be in that space.  In fact I see some very interesting concerts coming up.  At the moment I need to figure out if I really want to plonk down 45 smackers for a recorder concert.  Probably not.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 38 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32 ... 38  Next