The Positive Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Positive Thread

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 pm

We really need rules about Admin  Suspect 

{{I may need to organise another coup with Odo at this rate}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I wasnt bitching about DOS, since I love that film so much I want to fellate it, I was bitching about the length of the thread. I had Angmar and Sons check my legal coverage first  Twisted Evil
Do you want to have its babies? Or does it want to have yours?  Razz

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

The Positive Thread - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Tricky thing that- getting babies from fellatio!  Shocked 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Eldorion wrote:Related to that, Raddy, I was really pleased with the color grading in DOS being so much better.  I wish that PJ had gone back and changed that for the AUJ-EE, though.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Im amazed its two pages long.  Mad 

You have literally every other thread in this forum to bitch about DOS in.  Cut it out.

agree, at least fuck off in this thread, Petty. this is a positive thread.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Tricky thing that- getting babies from fellatio!  Shocked 
I meant apart from the fellatio Laughing
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Oh untwist your Fjordian knickers Norc (and Eldos while your at it) was only a bit of humour   Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Thranduil is a forgiving character to play as he plays such a minor role in the books. Slap some Elrond on him, some Legolas and some Galadriel and you've got a character. Not saying he was bad, Thranduil was ok - it was the silly scar thing that ruined him for me (not Pace's fault, of course, but it's not always easy not to shoot the messenger).

Norc wrote:yeah, i agree the scar was silly, but i still think overall Thranduil was pretty solid. and i disagree, i don't think he is easier than any other character.

I think a common complaint has been that he was underused.

To use complaint in a positive sense.  Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:15 pm

The Positive Thread - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Oh untwist your Fjordian knickers Norc (and Eldos while your at it) was only a bit of humour   Mad

this is dead serious matter, you nitwit! it's the hobbit!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Oh untwist your Fjordian knickers Norc (and Eldos while your at it) was only a bit of humour   Mad

So was my edit. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:I worded that post a little poorly, I think. I didn't mean to say he is easy to play - it's just there's so little material in the book that even the purest purists can't really bash movie Thranduil since there's so little to compare with in the book.

I see where you're coming from on this, Ringo.  I can't say I ever had a particularly distinctive mental image of Thranduil, at least not until he shows up at Lake-town.  And despite imprisoning the Dwarves he never seemed like a major douche in the book, being willing to help the people of Lake-town rebuild and all, so I'm curious to see how that plays out in third film.

And even if I don't have much strictly film-related to contribute with, there is one big positive thing about it: it's 00:02 am here, and we have 13 people online, and there were more earlier today Smile

Last month was our biggest ever, and we're on track to surpass that record this month.  I'm excited. Very Happy

in the book though King Thranduil tells his guards who are imprisoning the dwarfs to make sure they are fed and well cared for until they decide to tell their reasoning for being in Mirkwood forest. He shows no animosity towards them and says they should be well taken care of . In the film Thranduil knows all about their quest and wants in on it, he is never hospitable to them. and basically says unless they deal with him they can rot. Two scenarios that a completely different I thought Thranduil was well acted but didn't understand the necessity of the scar and found it pointless and worthless. It seemed like they were determined to have some CGI shot in every aspect of this film.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Okay, another thing: Legolas. Is it just me or was he not actually as dickish as the reviews made him out to be? His father's isolationism had clearly rubbed off on him and he is pretty racist in his introductory scene, but apart from being threatening I'm not sure he's any more racist than Gandalf was in the first movie (he was pretty obnoxious there).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 pm

yeah alright alright, that's script! at least it added some tention and didn't feel like they just went to a hotel Shrugging
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Sinister71 wrote:in the book though King Thranduil tells his guards who are imprisoning the dwarfs to make sure they are fed and well cared for until they decide to tell their reasoning for being in Mirkwood forest. He shows no animosity towards them and says they should be well taken care of . In the film Thranduil knows all about their quest and wants in on it, he is never hospitable to them. and basically says unless they deal with him they can rot. Two scenarios that a completely different I thought Thranduil was well acted but didn't understand the necessity of the scar and found it pointless and worthless. It seemed like they were determined to have some CGI shot in every aspect of this film.

The weird thing is, Thranduil still totally offers to help Thorin. Now I don't know if this was intended to be a fake offer and the filmmakers wanted the audience to suspect Thranduil, but as a book-reader I just sort of assumed the offer was genuine. But it takes place after the Dwarves are imprisoned, which is either evidence of the former interpretation or just a strange editing choice resulting from the decision to have all the Dwarves captured at the same time, instead of Thorin being captured alone as in the book.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Eldorion wrote:Okay, another thing: Legolas.  Is it just me or was he not actually as dickish as the reviews made him out to be?  His father's isolationism had clearly rubbed off on him and he is pretty racist in his introductory scene, but apart from being threatening I'm not sure he's any more racist than Gandalf was in the first movie (he was pretty obnoxious there).

legolas is just as he was in the beginning of fotr. and IN the lotr books he's pretty hateful towards the dwarves.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:19 pm

Pace kinda reminded me of Feanor (a fave character of mine) with his arrogance, proudness and the regal feel that radiates off him, I think Tolkien might have actually liked him, much more close to the books (IMO) than grumpy eyebrows Elrond and Exposition Ninja Plank Legolas...

Gandalf vs The Necromnacer was visually quite interesting but looked like something out of a star wars video game on crack, did not gel at all with Middle Earth, weirdly abstract for Jackson and not in a good way.

I did wonder at first if The Necromancer kept any pets in those cages.

(I like how we have only one dedicated thread for the good bits  Twisted Evil )

I haven't watched the trilogy in years, but Legolas certainly seemed more full of him self than my memory suggests, I think they were going for the arrogant prince angle, in the ten years (!) since ROTK he's kind of become a byword for crazy stunts so I guess he has a reputation.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:19 pm

He makes some racist comments but I dunno if that's enough to qualify him as hateful, especially when our presented-as-sympathetic characters do the same exact thing (in the movies at least).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Norc wrote:

legolas is just as he was in the beginning of fotr. and IN the lotr books he's pretty hateful towards the dwarves.

That's a good point. And he's the King's son, he'll be arrogant.

The Positive Thread - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 pm

malickfan wrote:I did wonder at first if The Necromancer kept any pets in those cages.

They looked like torture devices to me. Shrugging As in "may you hang from a gibbet, for the sport of your own crows!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbeting

(I like how we have only one dedicated thread for the good bits  Twisted Evil )

Technically we don't have any threads dedicated to the bad parts, but most of them are dominated by negativity. Probably deservedly so, but it's nice to have a change of pace IMO. Smile

I haven't watched the trilogy in years, but Legolas certainly seemed more full of him self than my memory suggests, I think they were going for the arrogant prince angle, in the ten years (!) since ROTK he's kind of become a byword for crazy stunts so I guess he has a reputation.

I think they want him to have an arc of sorts in The Hobbit, but of course that has to end at or before the place where he was in FOTR. So it makes sense for him to be more of an asshole at the start of TH. I'm not thrilled by the decision but it's what you have to deal with when making prequels. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:27 pm

All good points Eldo.  Nod 

Legolas and Gimli's arc in the films happened pretty quickly as far as I can remember, so maybe his appearance in The Hobbit is a good thing? i.e he has a chance to develop as more than a stunt boy, and perhaps even strike up an accord of sorts with one of the other dwarves, I never really warmed to comic relief Gimli.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Besides all the dumb "oh look it's Sauron" moments during Gandalf's battle with him, I thought they visualized the fight pretty well. It's a tough thing to visualize. What would Gandalf fighting Sauron look like? I thought the blackness engulfing Gandalf and Gandalf pushing back with the white light was pretty cool.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 am

Eldorion wrote:There have been a few brief flashes of positivity in the members' reviews thread, but I thought it might be nice to have one thread dedicated to things that actually worked in PJ's Hobbit movies.  Having just seen DOS, I'll start with...

Thorin waiting for Bilbo in the barrels.  While the mechanics of the barrel scene didn't make a lot of sense in general, Thorin holding everyone back and waiting for Bilbo beneath the trap door was a really nice touch IMO.  It showed that their moment of reconciliation at the end of AUJ hadn't been forgotten, and despite the dragon sickness later on Thorin did carry a respect for Bilbo that he had not initially had.  It was a very short snippet of a scene, but it made me smile and considerably lightened my view on movie!Thorin as a character.

NB Posts saying "nothing" will be met with vicious mockery! Wink

That's one thing I hadn't considered: Thorin waiting for Bilbo.

There's also that nice moment when Thorin tells the other dwarves to listen to Bilbo right before they get in the barrels.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 am

Wait, didn't Bilbo take off the ring and then hear the spider say, "It stings!"

How would that work if he could only hear them with the ring on?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 am

Perhaps it was a lingering side effect?  Shrugging 

I really liked all the elves, I thought their characters were the most static, making it more interesting when they will (eventually) change. Thranduil and Legolas at least had the most defined and distinct characterization out of all of them, which to me was refreshing. And nag at me all you want, but I'm a sucker for ninja Legolas. I thought he did some really cool stuff this time around, and even though I knew it was CGI, I still enjoyed it.

I also thought Bilbo looked adorable in his huge hat when they were leaving Laketown! (Though I feel like they should have put something from the celebration in the movie because it felt like I missed something).

The Positive Thread - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 am

And I also really liked Bombur. Sure he didn't talk, but his actions spoke louder than words! There were a lot of fat jokes in the book about him, so playing on that in the films felt natural and I think that's why we all laughed when he ran faster than the rest of the group.

The bit with Fili and all his knives was kind of funny too.

The Positive Thread - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next