Nobody

4 posters

Go down

Nobody Empty Nobody

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:45 pm

The restaurant was packed, it was one of those dreary wet dark Friday nights you get in December, I had managed to get a table near the window, but it was so steamed up I might as well not have bothered. All I could see was a smeary snail trail of passing car lights and the neon lamps from the pub across the road. Pedestrians flashed past, the glass was so thin I caught snatches of hurried conversation, laughs, a sneeze...
My 'date' looked at me quizzically as if sensing my distracted wanderings.
''so how about we get out of here? fancy catching that Hobbit film you keep going on about?..''
I knew he was just as eager as I was, so I just grinned and nodded.
''no no its my treat, you paid last time.... i'll get your coat... wow its freezing, ...I wish they would get a decent heater in here..yeah... the bill please...''
We braced ourselves against the freezing wind, my scarf up to my nose. ''brrrr I HATE Winter'''........
The cinema was packed too, huddled cinema goers filing in as quick as they could against the gale outside. A few trecherous flakes of snow began to fall.
''OH my purse! I forgot my purse''.. you must have left it in the restaurant''.. I must go back.. I'll meet you in there... do you want me to come with?.... no.. thanks I won't be a minute...''
I ran back to the restaurant, it was closing, one of the waiters was clearing up. I skidded on some of the sleet, and colided with a large heavyset man with an impassive moon face.
My bag flew through the air, he stuck out an arm in a lightening quick move, caught it and handed it back to me.
''thanks''.
He stood there like a stone statue his head bent down like a bull about to charge. A wave of fear swept up from my toes, did a fandango in my gut, and rose up to my neck.
''Hey! is everything ok?''
My date was stood behind me looking from me to the man, if man he was, because he was remarkably troll like in the swirling snow and darkness.
''yep, just need my purse I said, trying to sound steady, just pop in before it closes''.
I turned round to edge past the man, but he had melted into the night, large footprints in the snow,
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Nobody Empty Re: Nobody

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Good start! The measure of good writing is if you can make everyday things interesting. Check.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:26 pm

thanks Halfy  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:42 pm

One of the waiters had been watching us from inside the doorway, he  beckoned to me.
''Signorina ecco'', he handed me the small purse.
'thanks'' I said relieved, I hadnt wanted to have to cancel my credit card, it was such a pain when that happened.
Something in the man's voice made me look more closely at him, his eyes were scared, but he was keeping a tight grip on it. he was buttoning up fear, but why? I was too cold to really care, I just wanted to be somewhere warm and safe.....
The film rolled on but my mind was elsewhere, I could hear everyone sitting around me in the comfortable warm seats, but my mind was nagging me, something gnoring away at my subconscious. We left the cinema and ran for the gently steaming taxi on the rank. The driver was cheery and I tried to sound as if I had enjoyed the evening.
It was my stop first, my friend had a villa on the outskirts of town. I said my goodbyes and walked up the stone steps to my flat. My neck hairs prickled, I felt I was being watched by someone in the shadows. As the taxi left i scrabbled for my Keys with my frozen fingers. I dropped the Keys and as I did something shot above my head with a deafening whizz. Bits of plaster exploded as the bullet embedded itself into the wall.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:14 pm

My knees buckled and I had a sudden urge to pee. I scrambled around and found the blasted Keys, reaching up I opened the front door crawled through on all fours, locked the door behind me and stumbled up to my flat on the second floor. I didnt switch on the lights, cursing and muttering, my eyes wide with terror, I crept up to the window and stared down into the road below. Shadowy trees swayed, road lights glowed Yellow, and peoples gardens sparkled in the newly fallen snow. As I watched and waited all was still and quiet, no Bogey Man stepped out of the shadows and I started to think maybe it was just kids messing around, or maybe i had just imagined the Whole thing. I certainly didnt want to ring the police, all that noise waking the neighbours, Yeah. it was probably nothing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:18 pm

I have a fear that something you did in your colourful past is catching up with you, Mrs Figg - or are you truly innocent? Shocked 

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:26 pm

The next morning was sunny and bright, my fears of the night fled as I opened my curtains and looked on the melting snow. Everything dripped and sparkled, there was a fresh tang in the air.
Yawning I turned on the tv and made some toast...
I decided to return some overdue library books and do a spot of theraputic Saturday afternoon shopping. I opened the door of the spare room where I had set up a small study cum library with comfy chair and stopped transfixed to the spot.
A large man lay face up in a widening pool of scarlet blood, he was staring at the ceiling his left hand clutching some papers. He was very dead. Maybe in movies you know not to touch anything before the forensic boys get there, but I had this weird compulsion to take the papers from his hand and look at them. I had never seen a 'stiff' before, I had expected to be screaming blue murder, maybe it was delayed shock, but I felt quite calm.
That didnt last...

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Was it the secret Del Toro Hobbit script?  Shocked 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:55 pm

how did you know? Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Been having strange dreams of late...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:52 pm

I wrote this while I was drunk.  drunken 

I have sobered up.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:01 pm

I have sobered up.- Mrs Figg

You should never do that!  affraid 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum