Ringdrotten
Ally
Pettytyrant101
17 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Games of any sort - Page 6 Empty Re: Games of any sort

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:38 pm

I only watched the first couple of minutes then had to switch off out of crabbit. Evil or Very Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:29 pm

I stuck it out & thoroughly liked the head chopping ! not only one but two heads rolled off ! Laughing

Games of any sort - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Games of any sort - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:26 pm

The emphasis on badass violent action heroes (both in the movies but especially in the video games) is really ironic considering that a bit part of what sets LOTR apart in its genre is that it follows its humblest and least warlike characters.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:14 am

I have disliked all of the Lord of the Ring's films inspired shorts that have been made over the years. And watching a production like this merely serves to tip the balance of my dislike over to hatred.
The subject matter is always violence. There are always stupid-looking orcs running around. There is no practically no charm of any kind. I don't think I quite finished the short that had to do with Aragorn's ancestry, but in my experience the characters are cliched and unlikeable.

The violence in this Wraith of Mordor thingummy made me mad. Stupid, superviolent gore used for cheap cinematic effect is as far from what Tolkien himself would ever want associated with his legacy as you can go.

(This production was technically good, in my opinion, but what does that matter ultimately?)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 pm

I just wanted to mention a game I like called SET. Old style low tech card game that now is available for apple devices. There's similar knock off versions for android but I don't like them nearly as much.

Very simple rules but it uses parts of the brain most people don't use much. In fact older kids can compete quite well with adults.

A great family game I think anyway. I highly recommend it. Here is a link to a web version where it allows you to play several games and has links to purchase if so desired... peace and prosperity in this new year to all.

http://www.setgame.com/set/puzzle

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

Games of any sort - Page 6 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Cheers Music- and good to see you again! pub

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Cheers and all the best to you and yours Petty!

Play this game a few times, it appears simple but I've seen very intelligent people struggle with it.

It is similar to those gibberish patern pictures that only some folks can see in how it makes my brain feel when you solve sometimes... peace to all

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Did anyone ever try the quizup lord of the rings games? LotR, middle earth characters, silmarillion, TH...

They may be old hat to you all but they are kind of fun until you play too much.

Available for apple and android devices.
My user name is solar puff if anyone wants to friend me there.

https://www.quizup.com/

Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:45 am

Nice to see you again, MotA! I remember playing SET when I was a kid. Blast from the past there. Very Happy

I haven't tried the LOTR quiz games myself.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 am

Set is fun, I'm decent at it. Some people are wired up to be super players. I like that kids can compete with intelligent adults since the skill required to do well is not a normal everyday part of the brain we use for most of us and therefore doesn't give adults an advantage.

The wife plays games on the pad and found quizup. It is the most popular trivia app I believe. Trivia categories galore and when searching found several Tolkien games there.

Of course there's a limited amount of questions and it's not a true test of Knowledge but it's given us some amusement. It was cool to see Tolkien based games.

I think it could prove entertaining for some folks here at forumshire to check out.
Happy trails to all.

Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:57 am

Hello Music ! Wave Hope you are well. Im fond of games like that myself so I shall certainly give it a go Very Happy

Games of any sort - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Games of any sort - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:48 pm

I have only just found this thread and haven't gone back to read anything as too much!

Anyone played cards against humanity?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:52 pm

Yeah, I got CAH for my birthday a year or two ago and it's always fun at parties. Had previously been introduced to it when the game was still being sold as a PDF that you printed out and cut your own individual cards from printer paper. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:34 am

I received Small World from my sister for Christmas, and had the opportunity to try it out today. It was great fun so far, and I'm really looking forward to digging into the subtleties of the game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40692/small-world

My best friend growing up introduced me to a chess add-on card game called Knightmare Chess way back in 2003 or so. I've looked for it on and off over the years, but it's been out of print and selling for over $100 on ebay and such. Imagine my surprise therefore, when I stopped by my Friendly Local Gaming Store with my sister to pick out a present and saw a copy on the shelf! I didn't grab it, because the choice was down to Small World or that, and it's hard enough to find someone to play chess with, much less something ominous like "Knightmare".

However, lucky me, my brother and sister-in-law heard about it, and somehow found a copy online.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/227/knightmare-chess

So, I'm quite spoiled this year. Smile

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:47 am

Ha! Speaking of games on Boardgamegeek, I was curious as to what the most complicated or "dense" game on the website was. At least one of the main contenders is this beast from 1985.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243/advanced-squad-leader

It's quite endearing reading some of the reviews from the game's hard-core fans.

This review is titled simply, "Majestic". https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1004347/majestic

"...the system provides more text describing Belgian armoured vehicles than the entire rules set of some other tactical wargames."

Laughing

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:12 am

{{Some interesting ideas in that Small World Forest. I havent played a board game for years- think the last one I played was actually a LotR's themed one}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:33 pm

I recommend it as a lighter game that you can play with kids or adults. The game contains a mechanic that combines a base race like elves or giants, with modifiers like Flying, Underground, Diplomatic, or Dragon-raising for delightful combinations like "Diplomatic Skeletons" or "Wealthy Trolls". You play as multiple of these races every game, so the replay-ability is quite high with 280 different race-modifier combinations (14 races, 20 modifiers).

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 am

A rather dense-looking American Civil War hex-based strategy game arrived today: "Battle Above the Clouds", which recreates the Chickamauga and Chattanooga campaigns of August/September and October/November of 1863 that ranged from Nashville, Tennessee to Atlanta, Georgia.

The scale of it is at the Regiment/Division level, so nicely medium-scale, with one-turn equal to 1 day, and each hex equal to 1.15 miles (2,000 yards/1.83 kilometers).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33665/battle-above-clouds

Now to find someone to play it with...

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 am

I did find someone to play that American Civil War game with last month. It's a dense game, and I had trouble having fun just because my brain was too busy trying to learn all the darn rules!  pale

Anyway, this is arriving tomorrow.  bounce 

Games of any sort - Page 6 Pic1886964_lg

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/135219/battle-five-armies

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:57 am

Is this the same board war-game group that has a 'zone of control' around every piece? The games are challenging and interesting, but a bit slow.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:47 am

The ACR game is, yes. Hex-based large-scale maps on which you move little cardboard squares around. 

Like so:

Games of any sort - Page 6 Scn3_mid6

They are some beautiful maps that come with this game though.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6