Amarië
Mrs Figg
Norc
Ringdrotten
halfwise
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Creative corner split out? - Page 2 Empty Re: Creative corner split out?

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Razz 

But if you do snuggle down with someone special, hopefully it's after a swim in one them lakes.  Grubbiness is a fairly common theme whilst camping - that and the skeeters take some of the romance out of it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Shrugging and waking up damp, cramped aching and with a bug in your ear. sounds fantastic. not.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:55 pm

halfwise wrote:Bingo.  Camping gets you right where you want to be at a fraction of a resort cost.

Plus campfires are way cool.  And it's so totally wrong to walk away from a campfire for bed and into the electric lights and inside no. And-natural smells and sounds. Mad

I want crickets and tree frogs when I sleep after a campfire and stars.  Not some damn whatsit buzzing or glowing at me.
All natural sounds , the ones you mentioned and orcs and stone giants and ponys screaming when the ground around you changes; oh and a creeping Gollum
And slime from the giant slugs, and the glorious smell of rancid fungus and the delightful sound of snakes looking for a meal Nope , in the daylight I like to trek up things and down lanes and valleys. Take out the old binoculars and look at the beautiful birds and wolves, not in sniffing distance , and the fox and the rabbit, it is so gorgeous. For some reason the night is bearable in Africa but else where....
At night I like to have a good dinner, shower, manicure and pedicure. And read in a lush bed with my own bed things and blankets, |(after checking for bed bugs) and watch a little teli whilst having my tea.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I vaguely remember something about you being in Africa, Leelee; can you remind us?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Shrugging and waking up damp, cramped aching and with a bug in your ear. sounds fantastic. not.
When you get the campfire going again, coffee ready and something freshly cooked off the fire all those small annoyances are gone Wink

Creative corner split out? - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:16 pm

I will admit to sneaking off to the nearest hot shower if I can, but return immediately. And if the river or lake water is warm enough, that's always the first choice. I want to be outside, I want to be part of it, not just a tourist who wanders around taking pictures then hastily retreats to the 4 star hotel.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:25 pm

halfwise wrote:I will admit to sneaking off to the nearest hot shower if I can, but return immediately.  And if the river or lake water is warm enough, that's always the first choice.  I want to be outside, I want to be part of it, not just a tourist who wanders around taking pictures then hastily retreats to the 4 star hotel.
sounds like my kind of Holiday Laughing  love 4 star hotels
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Was in Cuzco Peru with a group of friends enroute to Machu Piccu. They had gotten one of these 4 star hotels, which is fine if you're in Monaco and everybody's living like that. But that ain't Peru. I rebelled and rented a backpacker's hotel, felt like I was actually in Cuzco, and felt much more comfortable.

Nature feels the same way: sure I'm not sleeping in a bed of leaves, but I like to diminish the dividing line between where I sleep and my surroundings.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:07 pm

halfwise wrote:Razz 

But if you do snuggle down with someone special, hopefully it's after a swim in one them lakes.  Grubbiness is a fairly common theme whilst camping - that and the skeeters take some of the romance out of it.
Grubbiness and skeeters, what are u talking about... Vikings don't mind...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:17 pm

thats more than fair enough if you are in a country like Peru where its easy to feel like 'Us and Them'. I went to Marocco in one of those gated resorts, it felt uncomfortable and like being in a privileged bubble, all the people outside were poor, it was horrible, I didnt enjoy it at all.. I tend to go on Holiday in Europe where you dont get that disparity, and you dont need weird vacines. I dont really do adventure hols because of my back, I like to go gentle walking or to spa towns like Merano.
Creative corner split out? - Page 2 Imagesvvlblblb_zps3524e95d
Creative corner split out? - Page 2 Imagesclblblb_zps4b7b5e7d
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:it is the same for me, only my walls are thicker than a tent and I dont have to sleep with my head two inches from smelly muddy boots. I dont have to shit in the bushes in the middle of the night, with an Owl. Shrugging 
I never knew Owls were mandatory, though I'm not an experienced camper, so what would I know? Shrugging

Give me something like this:

Every scent was in the house
for him and her and no one else. (Heartland)
The kitchen, the dining room,
The faintest taste of finest food. (Heartland)
Between the bedroom's painted walls
of purest ivory - drinking lemon scented tea,
sailing away on the early morning dew
staring out the window as lovers sometimes do

That's the kind of camping trip I'd like to take you on, Mrs Julia Figg... Nod

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Embarassed  golly gosh
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Embarassed  golly gosh
What I like, Mrs Figg, is lots of Romance -- so long as there's none of that tacky stuff going on --- you know, the stuff that brings on my migraines. cyclops 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:03 pm

cheese?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Mad You cant tempt her, not when I can offer her the promise of copious buckie and a night full of all the things that give you a migraine Orwell Twisted Evil 
I'll even let her have first pick of best muddy place to fall over in Dave's fields, because I am a gentlehobbit. Nod 

I mean how could she resist that?! Shrugging

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Mad You cant tempt her, not when I can offer her the promise of copious buckie and a night full of all the things that give you a migraine Orwell Twisted Evil 
I'll even let her have first pick of best muddy place to fall over in Dave's fields, because I am a gentlehobbit. Nod 

I mean how could she resist that?! Shrugging
You overlook a key factor in the successful neterosexual relationship Mrs Figg and I have, Petty... You clearly don't have a romantic bone in your body. No 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Hey I resent that! I am full of romance. The romance of the buckie, the romance of chasing the haggis over the purple heather beneath a stormy grey sky, then smashing its little brains out with a hammer and eating it. With buckie all romance is a magical mystery tour, granted its a tour of pubs, unpleasant toilets, ditches, gutters, cranberry fields and sudden and surprising violence, but that's still a tour. Nod drunken 

Besides I wear a kilt, I win, I should have thought therefore this was obvious; no lass can resist the sway and sashy of a kilt and the promise of no pants below Twisted Evil 

What's not romantic about all that then? Suspect

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:08 am

{{{Damn damn damn... First He endows them with utter depravity - and then He gets all soft and gives 'em the damn fetchin' kilt... What in Valinor was Eru thinkin'.... Banghead }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Evil or Very Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I wish I was the sort of person that bounds out of bed and bounces around doing energetic stuff, but I am not. I like to settle down with a coffee and a paper in a warm cozy bed, for hours. All that chilly, hard, skaggy, bleary eyed camping stuff makes me nervous.
Well fortunately I went camping with a bunch of people, so I was able to stay snuggled in my sleeping bag until someone had got the fire going and started cooking stuff/making coffee and hot chocolate. ^_^

Norc wrote:preferably with someone special.....
Embarassed
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:27 pm

On topic (lol), I've thought about this a number of times over the past two years since the last big forum-realignment.  The main reason I never brought it up is that the Creative Corner tends to go through bursts of activity with sometimes quite long periods of down time in between.  I've never been sure if it can sustain enough activity to merit being a full forum.  On the other hand, it's certainly more active than our Silmarillion forum, though that exists more out of a sense of obligation than anything else. Razz

While we're talking about moving forums around, do people really want the Archive Forum link up there?  It meant something when there were still more posts in the archive than on the active forum, but we now have many times the number of posts here than in the archive.  And the archive link has been down for well over a year without anyone seeming to mind.  I've offered to see about finding a different place to upload the archive data, but no one seemed interested enough for it to be worth the effort. Shrugging

Also, if we take the Archive Forum down and promote the Creative Corner to a full forum, it will create a significant imbalance in the number of forums in the Middle-earth and Other Topics categories.  I don't know if this necessarily bothers anyone else, though, and it does reflect the breakdown of activity across the forum.  And the removal of the Archive Forum would mean that the more active Other Topics forums are closer to the top of the screen, which can be important in order to show visitors with low screen resolutions that we do have active forums here.

Anyway, this is the sort of stuff that I think about when it comes to design and structure for the forum.  If people want to tweak the forum design I'd be happy to make these changes. Smile

Last edited by Eldorion on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Bagginses to the core Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:I wish I was the sort of person that bounds out of bed and bounces around doing energetic stuff, but I am not. I like to settle down with a coffee and a paper in a warm cozy bed, for hours. All that chilly, hard, skaggy, bleary eyed camping stuff makes me nervous.
Well fortunately I went camping with a bunch of people, so I was able to stay snuggled in my sleeping bag until someone had got the fire going and started cooking stuff/making coffee and hot chocolate. ^_^

Norc wrote:preferably with someone special.....
Embarassed
sorry. not thinking of you Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 pm

I can't even think of a witty comeback to that one, you cruel heartbreaker, you. Sad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm

i have no idea what u are talking about when it comes to activeness, but i do want the creative corner to be more available, and i don't think i've ever visited the old forum so idk Shrugging
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next