Ally
Squach
Kafria
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
27 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? - Page 7 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately?

Post by Amarië Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 pm

We saw the movie Kick Ass not too long ago. I thought it would be a teenage/kid movie since the cast was so young, boy was I wrong! Very Happy

The remake of Karate Kid was also quite good! This too surprised me, I like when movies are better than I expect. Smile

The last airbender was also very good! I do prefer the animated series though (my companion through both rounds of maternity leave and hours of nursing, along with Star Trek TNG, Stargate, NCIS, Bones, House and, Eru help me, Charmed), but it was made with love. PJ 'let's change everything there is to change and then add some random stuff' really should take lessons... Wonder if they will ever film the other 'books' too.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I think sherlock is great, really excellent, but its Martin Freeman that makes it special for me, I doubt if i would like it as much without him, dont get me wrong Cumberbutch is great in the role, but Martin makes it extra special.

yes, to me, he has a dificult character to portray, but really, he is just perfect for it! it would definintely not be the same it he hadn't been in it, though maybe I think this because he is Bilbo xD I just can't wait to see him as Bilbo. I came to think that Bilbo may be dificult because.. well.. I don't know. He can turn out a bit, not childish, but child-amed so to speak, so maybe a dificult character for grown-ups and we who are not grown-ups but not childre to get a hang of. if u know what I mean. I don't know. It is just a little hard for me to see him as a character in a film amed for not only children. Thranduil and Thorin and Beorn and all that is understandable, but Bilbo.. hmm.. I don't know. Though I have no doubt that Martin Freeman will do a terribly good job xD

btw, funny story. My dad isn't very updated in actors and all, he just knows a few names and well.. that's all.
I said to him; "Hey, dad, Martin Freeman is going to play Bilbo" (and I know he has seen "the office")
and he said; "isn't he black?" HAHA! omg.. he was thinking og Morgan Freeman x) well, well.. he'll soon know who everybody in "the Hobbit" is when I talk so much about it x)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

I love the way Martin is a big mix of innocent bewildered and bemused and hard headed ex soldier who is calm in a crisis. I like the way he just follows Sherlock around like he is in a daze because he doesnt realize he needs a friend, although he would never admit it, and I like the way Sherlock assumes John will follow him because he too needs a friend but would never admit it. I like the way Sherlock would never think to buy milk and bread, but John always thinks about little details like that, even though Sherlock can tell what you had for breakfast just by looking at a stain on your collar, he would never bother to organize buying breakfast without John.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:29 pm

so true Mrs Figg! so true! it is a very interesting and unusual relationship/friendship/companionship Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 am

I completely agree Mrs. Figg! I found alot of similarities between Martin's Watson and how I'd act in many of his situations. For example, I definitely would resort to force if I was fed up with someone. (refering to Richard Brooks here cyclops ) and also the whole "Damn my leg!" bit from the first episode, since I myself have a bum leg that gets in my way sometimes. But what I love most is how he deals with Sherlock. When he's being obnoxious and blatantly rude, he let's him know, and if it's directed toward him, he either let's it slide or forgives Sherlock pretty quickly. That makes him such a likeable and relateable character because he's someone who really doesn't like drama at all, so much so that he sucks the possible drama between the two characters out of the scene by either nodding/shaking his head, clenching his fists a couple times, then moving on to the next subject. I think he's a huge part of why the show is so good, because his character is SO developed that he could be someone you see on the street. Just an average Joe. And his contrast with Sherlock is just fantastic too! Nod Eru I love that show!

Seen any good films lately? - Page 7 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:37 pm

yes me too, Its a modern update but in a good way, because Watsons in the past apart from the tv Sherlock holmes with Brett, were a bit bumbling "I say old chaps", with a pipe in the mouth and not much clue. I do love Bretts Watson but Martin freemans Watson is very much a man on a journey into friendship, he has come from the horrors of war and is a fish out of water, aimless and depressed. Sherlock is a shock to the system, a reason to live, completely selfish in some respects, but also seems to need John to ground him. The chemistry is perfect, its light years in advance in complexity and subtlety to the recent travesty in the cinema.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 am

Amarië wrote:We saw the movie Kick Ass not too long ago. I thought it would be a teenage/kid movie since the cast was so young, boy was I wrong! Very Happy

Laughing I convinced my mom to see Kick-Ass with me when it came out since I was too young to go by myself at the time. I don't think she really knew what to expect and was quite taken aback by the movie, but by the end she was able to enjoy it. Smile I thought it was really good, though the ending felt a bit silly and forced (though much better than the comic book's ending from what I've heard). I'm interesting in seeing Super, which has a similar premise but a much more cynical and disturbing tone from what I've seen of it.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 am

I finally got around to seeing Source Code, which I had the chance to see in theatres when it first came out last year but that I passed up. I've been kicking myself for a while but I rented it tonight. I really, really loved this movie. Very Happy The premise is pretty wonky but I thought they explained it well. There are a few questionable elements that surfaced after I had some time to digest the movie, but it's got to be one of my favorites from 2011 (which overall felt like a disappointingly weak year for movies despite a few gems).

Also worth checking out if you haven't is the director's debut film, Moon, which tells a classic sci-fi story in the tradition of Kubrick's 2001 and completely transcends the claustrophobic setting and small number of characters.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? - Page 7 Empty Sherlock

Post by Amarië Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 am

Sherlock was PERFECT! We laughed and grinned and we, well I, aaawww-ed a bit as well. Smile

Watsons in the past apart from the tv Sherlock holmes with Brett, were a bit bumbling "I say old chaps", with a pipe in the mouth and not much clue.

Oh I hate that! That's mainly why I liked the new American Sherlock Holmes movie, Watson had character, he was someone! It never felt like a true Sherlock Holmes movie at all, but it was nice to see Watson like that. I like Freeman's Watson a lot better.

And that pale, porcelain skinned, dark haired, brilliant Cumberbatch reminded me a heck of a lot of pale, porcelain skinned, dark haired, brilliant Colin Morgan just had me smiling some more. Hm, I really do love BBC's buddy companion two sides of the same coin stories, don't I?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Eldorion wrote:I finally got around to seeing Source Code, which I had the chance to see in theatres when it first came out last year but that I passed up. I've been kicking myself for a while but I rented it tonight. I really, really loved this movie. Very Happy The premise is pretty wonky but I thought they explained it well. There are a few questionable elements that surfaced after I had some time to digest the movie, but it's got to be one of my favorites from 2011 (which overall felt like a disappointingly weak year for movies despite a few gems).

Also worth checking out if you haven't is the director's debut film, Moon, which tells a classic sci-fi story in the tradition of Kubrick's 2001 and completely transcends the claustrophobic setting and small number of characters.

I've seen it, it is great Very Happy I had to see it twice so that I was sure I understood it xD
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:35 am

I was feeling down so on a whim I rewatched Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Damn, I forgot just how much I love this movie. Very Happy

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:53 am

I watched Roger Rabbit over xmas when it was on- great film in all levels.

I watched another classic the other day, but a lot older classic- 1956 b-movie classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers- what a great little film- short so you dont have time to get bored and fulll of great ideas, some cracking direction and a lead whose chin is so square you could use it as a carpentery tool. Brilliant stuff- if its a classic youve never got round to seeing do try to. Comes with the Tyrant Seal of Approval!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Soylent green one of the best Sci Fi films of the 1970s with amazing performances from all the actors. Truly thought provoking, thrilling and moving.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:52 pm

A fine choice Mrs Figg! Nod

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:22 pm

I remember seeing this film Lost Horizon by Frank Capra when I was a child and it has stayed in my mind as the adventure to beat all adventures, I wish I could find my Shangri La.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Just rewatched V for Vendetta. Can't believe people think the other Matrix films are better- they dont hold a candle to V in my view. Ok its not as complex as the comic, and it tames down or removes the fascism and the anarchy of V- he really will blow up civilians in terrorist attacks to make his point. But it retains much of the core of the thing and it brilliantly makes a piece about Thatcherism (which the comic was) relevant to the modern world and in a bigger context. And one only needs to look at any anti-captailist- anti-intenet controls march to see how influential it has been in providing a symbol for the common people. The Matrix never did that!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:05 am

Watched The Thing last night. not bad
Watched the old (kurt russel) Thing straight after. Very good.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 am

I couldn't really see the point in the new version- if the original didn't exist it would be a pretty entertaining film- though not more- but as it just retells the same story more or less with different people, and its not as well told as the original its hard to see the point in it.
I would also have preferred it to have been in Norwegan with english subtitles as that way they could have done away with the supposed lead character who has no personality, nothing interesting about her and as far as I could tell no point to being there except to force all the Norwegans to have to speak in english!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Never found out what happened to her at the end either.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I couldn't really see the point in the new version- if the original didn't exist it would be a pretty entertaining film- though not more- but as it just retells the same story more or less with different people, and its not as well told as the original its hard to see the point in it.
I would also have preferred it to have been in Norwegan with english subtitles as that way they could have done away with the supposed lead character who has no personality, nothing interesting about her and as far as I could tell no point to being there except to force all the Norwegans to have to speak in english!

don't they speak norwegian to each other?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Very rarely, only really at the start before the American turns up, then the Norwegans being such a polite race all talk english for her benefit from then on, even to each other.
On reflection I am not sure if the filmmakers are saying Norwegans are uber-polite or American audiences too stupid to read- you decide.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Maybe a mix of both, but I believe mostly that it is because US audience wouldn't like to read subs. too used to everything being in english.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:29 pm

I think it's the sub-title issue. You don't get very many movies released in mainstream theatres in the U.S. that have sub-titles (unless they fill in for a fictional language in only a few scenes, such as in LOTR, Avatar, and the last Harry Potter movie). About the only recent American movies with substantial non-English, sub-titled scenes that I can recall are The Passion of the Christ and Inglourious Basterds, and neither of those are representative of American cinema in general. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:04 pm

So whats going on Eldo?- Im from the UK so arguably english is more my first language than Americans but we get subtilted stuff here and people watch it fine- so whats the problems with reading subtitles for Americans? I was joking when I said Americans weren't bright enough to read them of course, but I do wonder at times if the film studios are joking or if they realy do have such a low opinion of American audiences, and even more worryingly does their market research support this?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:10 pm

I think you are right, Petty. The filmmakers may think it is a bigger issue than most americans, but I think many wouldn't go to or enjoy a subbed movie as much as one like to. There is a reason why e.g LOTR is voicedover in spanish and I believe german too. Frenchmen hate english films. They voiceover LOTR, true blood and so much more. But they love their own language and refuse to learn english, so it is maybe another issue there xD
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next