Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much?

+9
CC12 35
RA
David H
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Mrs Figg
azriel
Norc
Eldorion
13 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much? Empty Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much?

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:30 am

So I was watching the Half in the Bag review of Star Trek Into Darkness (whom I stole this thread title's misspelling from) and they made an interesting point: that a year ago no one really knew who Cumberbatch was and now he has legions of fans and people want to cast him in all sorts of stuff. I wouldn't call myself a Cummerbund fan, at least not to the extent that Norc is, but I liked him in Sherlock a lot. But I have to wonder what else he's done to earn the fandom he has.

I checked Wikipedia (where else) to see what all movies Cucumbersnatch has actually appeared in. His early filmography is mostly supporting roles in obscure films. For example:

2004: Hawking, a TV movie that no one cares about
2006: Amazing Grace, a real movie that (unfortunately) no one cares about
2007: Atonement, a movie that's only popular with people who like really serious British dramas

His big break came in 2010 when the first series of Sherlock aired, and after that he started getting higher profile roles. But if you actually look at each of them, they are:

2011: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: a novel adaptation that even the actors said was too convoluted
2011: War Horse, Steven Spielberg's recent historical film that isn't about Abraham Lincoln
2012: The Hobbit, in which Carouseratch has exactly no screentime whatsoever
2013: Star Trek Into Darkness, which was a steaming pile of horsehit

So is it really entirely down to Sherlock that Benedict Timothy Carlton "My Name Is So White That it Burns After 30 Seconds Outdoors" Cumberbatch became an internationally-known movie star? And if so, why doesn't Martin Freeman get as much attention, considering he's the best actor on the show. Trollface
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much? Empty Re: Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much?

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 am

To be fair I sometimes wonder the same thing about Brad Pitt, but at least he had more than one critically acclaimed role as a young-ish actor in the '90s, and he doesn't have a face like a horse. Moon
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much? Empty Re: Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much?

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 am

Maybe Will Smith is a better analogue. I mean, I like what I've seen/heard of the guy's work, but how'd he go from washed-up rapper cum sitcom star to the biggest name in Hollywood? All I can figure out is that it was Independence Day. Was that really such a big thing when it came out?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:36 am

At least Will Smith immediately followed up ID4 with other roles that would be well-remembered in the future (and also Wild Wild West lololol).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 am

I wanted to mention Ryan Gosling in this thread as well because 90% of the attention he gets seems to be exclusively from Drive (which full disclosure I fucking loved), but he at least had a number of other roles that received attention both before and during the period when Drive became popular so I dunno if he fits.

My real point here is check out this video because it makes me laugh every fucking time I see it. Laughing

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:43 am

I'm coming close to exhausting my knowledge of contemporary popular actors (not that Will Smith is that contemporary anymore but fuck you I had space to fill).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:45 am

At least we can be grateful that the following one-hit wonders have quickly faded away.

Zac Efron
Taylor Lautner
The Jonas Brothers
Robert Pattinson
Daniel Radcliffe

In the mean time we can all wait for Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, and Drake to disappear (OH I FUCKING WENT THERE).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am

Since this thread is quickly degenerating into incoherent nonsense I'd like to take this opportunity to

Actually on second thought I'm not going to take this opportunity

Good night everyone
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am

You've been a wonderful audience, thank you. Thank you. No really, you're too kind. I take PayPal and money order.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:17 am

u little... i don't have words.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:17 am

Eldo.....I love these small moments of madness, some may call sheer brilliance, who am I to judge ? You let that side of you down & Il woop your ass boy ! Loved the RG mickey take ! so true ! "Drive" was a great film, the music supported it perfectly. I first saw RG in "The Notebook", cried my fooking eyes out, not cos RG & Co were acting so well, but cos of the subject matter.
As for Scrumpybum Laddersnatch, hes British Goddam it ! Hes been here, there, & over there, behind there, nearly there, & oh,let me see....everywhere ! Very Happy

Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Why do people like Humberto Cabbagepatch so much? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:18 am

jesus guys, just wait some hours and i'll tell you why!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 am

Sorry Norc, I was bored ! Ive only got the cat to talk to at the mo & even HE has pissed off ! Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:33 pm

erm dunno exactly why, (only Norc knows exactly 100% why) I think he has charisma, I think its his voice, or the part of Sherlock fitting him so well, and that with the combo with cuddly Martin as Watson and its a heady mix of coolnez, wit, charm, quirk, zappy one liners, moving man love, derring do, long flappy coats with the collar up, wanting to squeeze them cos they are so cute, oh a million things.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm

I was reading this thread down the page just waiting for the moment Norc would wake up...Razz   Too bad she was too bleary-eyed for a proper response.

I think it comes down to two things.  For some actors they just have to find the right role to showcase their talents, and then they get noticed.  This indeed is what happened to Will Smith in Independence day: suddenly a comedian had action-hero ability.  He was then smart enough to stick with science fiction - he had noticed that since Star Wars ALL the big money makers were sci-fi; he was openly following the money.

The other thing you have to look at is indefinable magnetism.  Men are universally attracted to about 1 woman out of 10; for women it's more like 1 out of 100.  Probably because men are less intrinsically sexy so it all has to be compensated by character and personality.  So that one guy in 100 who can bring it all together becomes a superstar.

Benglebert Humperdinck brings it together so well that even men can't help but like him (he's not the type of guy you want to beat up out of jealousy).  So he rockets to the top as soon as he's noticed.

Edit: plus, who can resist that name?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Embarassed  After writing that I've come up with the naughtiest name variation. Embarassed

No, I can't.  I shall resist.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:29 pm

he is not annoyingly pretty, he seems to have a sense of humour about showbiz, he is weird looking but attractive, its like he is Alan Rickman for the 21st century. he has THE voice as well.

Will Smith has charisma, he is likeable to both sexes and is unthreatening but masculine, guys think he would be a laugh down the pub, and women think he is cute. It also helps he is the first Black action hero, he has carved out a niche for himself, he actually transcends race, which is unusual. But most of all he is actually a good actor.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:29 pm

I am not 100% sure but I think Cumberbum has a stage acting background.
As is often the case when someone appears out of nowhere and is flavour of the month what you dont see is the years of hard graft for little reward that went to getting to that point.
Often happens particularly with stand up comics, suddenly a new one comes along and seems to be on every comedy show, when in fact theyve spent a decade or two learning their craft in small comedy stores and clubs all over the world before they get the break through.
Just becuase we haent heard of them until a particular role makes them famous doesnt mean they havent been learning their trade for years in obscurity.
And usually by the time it happens the person has put in the hard work and is actually now good at their job by the time the lucky break comes along and so they get noticed and offered more roles.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Oh yeah, like I said I think Cumbarbarian is a talented actor and I don't resent his success one bit, but I'm not sure where his fandom materialized from.  It feels like he's become bigger than Sherlock now, but I could be wrong.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:38 pm

I appreciate the explanations, Halfy and Figgy.  You guys are probably on to something with the charisma part.  Plus Cumberbatch is quite atypical in many ways.  I do wish him success, but I wonder if he'll really be remembered for any classic roles other than Sherlock in say 10 years.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Norc wrote:u little... i don't have words.

:carrot:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 pm

azriel wrote:Eldo.....I love these small moments of madness, some may call sheer brilliance, who am I to judge ? You let that side of you down & Il woop your ass boy !
I'm not sure if this is a compliment or a threat.  You want me to keep being mad? Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Yes, Eldo old boy ! You be as stark raving bonkers as you like ! Its very therapeutic, you feel miles better for it ! Ive been practising the Art for YEARS & I think I can say Im quite qualified in it now. Laughing
(like the new lay out, with the add ons)

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:17 pm

The recipe has three parts: talent, "star power" and a "star vehicle".  Talent is easy to spot, and there's a lot of it out there. A star vehicle is relatively easy to write. Star power is harder to quantify.  What was it about Arnold that made Conan more than just another summer B movie, and that made a stock villain outshine the hero in Terminator? 

The character of Sherlock Holmes is rock star since Doyle first wrote it. Why else do we remember Basil Rathbone, despite his hundreds of other roles? So it makes sense that a hip new interpretation with tight dialog would make an excellent star vehicle for an actor who could play the star game, and BC did it well.

And of course once the STAR light went on over his head, every other casting director started looking at him.  If you can bring the Sherlock fans to your audience it translates to opening week numbers.  It will be interesting to see how far the snowball rolls.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Good point about really needing only one big break to become a star.  I was probably underestimating the impact of a single franchise if it has enough of a fandom.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next