Orwell
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Norc
php111
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What movies will come after The Hobbit? - Page 2 Empty Re: What movies will come after The Hobbit?

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:09 pm

malickfan wrote:
Lancebloke wrote:I would imagine that while christopher Tolkien is alive, no new rights will be sold. He isnt exactly enamoured with what pj and co have done so far!

And just four years later all it took was his resignation and a quick £250 million...

It does still feel a bit like bizarro-world.

I'm still surprised that the TV rights and the film rights were separated like we've found out. I had assumed they were sold together for so long. Did the Rankin/Bass movies just deliberately ignore that portion of the contract, or maybe since they weren't serialized it didn't matter?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

What movies will come after The Hobbit? - Page 2 Empty Re: What movies will come after The Hobbit?

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Eldorion wrote:
malickfan wrote:
Lancebloke wrote:I would imagine that while christopher Tolkien is alive, no new rights will be sold. He isnt exactly enamoured with what pj and co have done so far!

And just four years later all it took was his resignation and a quick £250 million...

It does still feel a bit like bizarro-world.

Indeed, though my lack of interest in this TV series is almost as surprising as the news itself, three or four years ago I would be bouncing off the walls with excitement/intrigue, now I just feel vague curious skepticism...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:43 pm

I was never exactly chomping at the bit to see The Hobbit adapted insofar as I was happy with my own mental images when reading the book and didn't feel that it would make a very good prequel to PJ's films. But I was really keen to be involved in the whole anticipation and release cycle of a Middle-earth movie trilogy since I had missed out on LOTR. Razz And I am of course very grateful for the boost it gave to the fan community and particularly Forumshire. So while I don't see a particularly compelling artistic reason for the series to exist, I think it will have at least some positive side-effects, even if it turns out to be trash.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm

I hope the Hobbit gets remade before LotR. More damage to undo.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:57 pm

I hope that when they're remade (which I think is an inevitability) they're made separately. The Hobbit is a distinct work and I don't think it benefits from having its unique qualities bulldozed over in favor of strict(er) continuity with LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Well... as much as I like swearing and tits let's hope they haven't found inspiration in more recent TV for this one.

Could be great if they just treat it with respect... whatever 'it' turns out to be.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Eldorion wrote:I hope that when they're remade (which I think is an inevitability) they're made separately. The Hobbit is a distinct work and I don't think it benefits from having its unique qualities bulldozed over in favor of strict(er) continuity with LOTR.

I still hold out hope the Talking Purse (my forum Avatar, taken from the graphic novel adaptation) makes his(?) glorious onscreen cameo one day...

Wouldn't be any more ludicrous than the Bolg vs Legolas fight...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 pm

#shirefoxorbust
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Well... as much as I like swearing and tits let's hope they haven't found inspiration in more recent TV for this one.

Could be great if they just treat it with respect... whatever 'it' turns out to be.

I'm hoping that Bezos' orders to find "the next GOT" are more just about popularity than tone and content, though that may be wishful thinking. Razz I'm sure there will be a good deal of violence but I'm hoping it's not too gory. And LOTR has a much higher profile than ASOIAF did seven or eight years ago so they shouldn't have to rely on sexual pandering to attract attention, though of course they might throw some in anyway.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2