halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33

Go down

Books! - Page 33 Empty Re: Books!

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:21 pm

{{ As a kid among the book series I read were the very British (well very English really) Just William books. Which follow a mischievous boy and his gang as they get into trouble and scrapes with catapults and cricket balls through windows and spend a lot of time imagining they are fighting 'red indians' (they were written in the 40's) or being soldiers or knights or some such and avoiding the attention of horrible 'girls' especially Violet Elizabeth and her catch phrase that she uses whenever the boys won't let her join in their games, that she will "scream and scream till I'm sick!" .
Anyhow today for no reason I could discern as I've never looked up anything Just William related, youtube presented me with a 1947 film called Just Williams Luck. Which rang a bell.
And I think it's probably unique as a film for one reason. You see its not an adaptation of any of the actual books, it just takes the characters and setting and makes up entirely its own story. It was one I read as a child with no idea there ever was a film version till today. But what's unique about is that the Just William author Richmal Crompton was so impressed with the film he wrote the book version a year later.
I can't think of any other film, taken from a book that so impressed the author of the books that he wrote the film into the book series.
It's such an odd thing. Anyhow here's the film if you fancy some gentle, nostalgia for a long gone era, and you can be sure at least it captures the spirit of the books well with the authors glowing seal of approval (though I could do without how the film is scored myself)- }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:12 pm

Ive began reading LOTRs again. Ive got a lovely book that has illustrations by Alan Lee. The films are enticing to look at but, the thrill and excitement I felt from reading about Helms Deep, the anticipation of will anyone else come to help was so much more better than any film Smile

Books! - Page 33 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 33 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:38 am

azriel wrote:Ive began reading LOTRs again. Ive got a lovely book that has illustrations by Alan Lee. The films are enticing to look at but, the thrill and excitement I felt from reading about Helms Deep, the anticipation of will anyone else come to help was so much more better than any film Smile
Excellent. Smile

I was reading a little LotR the other night myself. My ex was spending the night (again, oops!) and she requested I pick up where she had left off, just when the hobbits arrive at Tom's house. It was absolutely delightful. I really must re-read the LotR now that I've finished my reread of the Silmarillion.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:39 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ As a kid among the book series I read were the very British (well very English really) Just William books. Which follow a mischievous boy and his gang as they get into trouble and scrapes with catapults and cricket balls through windows and spend a lot of time imagining they are fighting 'red indians' (they were written in the 40's) or being soldiers or knights or some such and avoiding the attention of horrible 'girls' especially Violet Elizabeth and her catch phrase that she uses whenever the boys won't let her join in their games, that she will "scream and scream till I'm sick!" .
Anyhow today for no reason I could discern as I've never looked up anything Just William related, youtube presented me with a 1947 film called Just Williams Luck. Which rang a bell.
And I think it's probably unique as a film for one reason. You see its not an adaptation of any of the actual books, it just takes the characters and setting and makes up entirely its own story. It was one I read as a child with no idea there ever was a film version till today. But what's unique about is that the Just William author Richmal Crompton was so impressed with the film he wrote the book version a year later.
I can't think of any other film, taken from a book that so impressed the author of the books that he wrote the film into the book series.
It's such an odd thing. Anyhow here's the film if you fancy some gentle, nostalgia for a long gone era, and you can be sure at least it captures the spirit of the books well with the authors glowing seal of approval (though I could do without how the film is scored myself)- }}

Mm... No that doesn't seem very good. Just read Harry Potter instead!

( Pokey Tongue )

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:53 am

After finishing The Silmarillion and a brief affair with Moorcock's (mediocre) Fortress of the Pearl, I thought to mysef, "Forest, you need a little treat after that Moorcock swill." And so I've just begun Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brien.

Ahhh, truly a delight, this series. The humour: so subtle, but outrageous. The pacing: so thoughtful, yet concise. The time-skips between books: just right, with the sojourn on shore elided elegantly, and Aubrey and Maturin ready for their next foray upon the open seas!

Perhaps these books are just the perfect match for me, and that is why I enjoy them so. But I think there must be general appeal in these pages too.

Looking forward to more. There has been mention of rescuing Captain Bligh of Bounty fame. Apparently he has suffered a second revolt against his command: this time upon shore, and he now lies imprisoned? captured? destitute? and in need of assistance. A new command for Aubrey (that is to say, a new ship), and soon I believe the story shall go towards New Holland!*

*do you know where this is? I did not, or I had forgotten that this place once possessed this name.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:04 pm

so here's a short set of interviews with science fiction writers: Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Kurt Vonnegut.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/may/14/science-fiction-authors-interviews

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33