halfwise
David H
Norc
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
23 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Empty Re: Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2]

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Dumbfucks in training?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Empty Re: Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2]

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:07 pm

A couple of pictures that weren't of home, so I thought they might fit better in here.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 1500796d1320082428-me-piacciono-le-foto-quindi-partecipate-skye2_1504585c

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Quiraing,_Isle_of_Skye

They are both from the isle of Skye. I think the first one won some sort of competition.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:22 pm

I was going to say soon as I saw the first pic, thats Scotland! Ah beautiful Scotland- if only youd stop raining on me an trying to blow me into the sea!  Evil or Very Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Yeah, I get where your coming from.

I might have told this story before but.. I remember hearing a story of a dutch businessman buying one of those chalet style places in the Highlands and moving there with his family. It then proceded to rain for 90 days straight at which point he sold up. Apparently his wife had told him it was her or Scotland. Laughing

The west coast of Scotland is beautifull though. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:49 pm

It is indeed- when you can see it through the rain, mist, fog, gale force wind.  Evil or Very Mad 

It is however not usual for it to rain 90 days straight- ninety days worth of rain in a day, that I could believe!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Yeah.  Laughing  Still, I'm guessing the Highlands can be even more extreme with regards to the weather than your parts.

Oh, and Skye is of course famous for Talisker as well.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Talisker-long-shot

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:24 am

My garden

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 1265444_10200995066992706_734944245_o

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:38 am

Lovely Chris, but it should be winter you know, you lot and your weird backwards, upside down world  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:19 am

Sure I posted this somewhere but cant find it so am gonna post it again.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 20131211_104300_zps229dd9d9
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

What a lovely colour those flowers are Chris ! Unluckily for you, youre missing out on....gale force wind, not just once but several times, Torrential rain, not just once but,many times, flooding, cold, fog,the dark, gloom. Nah, I wouldnt want all that warmth & sunshine,sweet smells, fresh aroma of plants & flowers, longer daylight hours, uh huh.................

Yes I would !!!!!!!!!! I want it !!!!!!! And I want it NOW !!!!!!!

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:00 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Middle-earth renderings.

https://imgur.com/a/IgE68

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 TOtlIpCl

Click for full size.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:09 am

Just found this... Middle Earth recreated on a 1:1 scale. The Middle Earth Project is looking to rebuild all of Middle Earth in the virtual space. All of it. Not some curated highlights package, not a small slice of it, but the whole damn thing, from Hobbiton to Mordor and everything in between.

It’s still a work in progress, so some areas like Mordor (which needs custom terrain the standard engine can’t create) and Moria are unfinished, but even what’s there is breathtaking to behold.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 1391031470223

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/30013348/middle-earth-recreated-on-a-11-scale

Just watched the short youtube, haven't looked at site yet.

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:35 am

The Yard looks nice Chris, I like the statue in the rear. Very cool. It is winter here in the midwest of the USA and we have gotten 7" of snow since yesterday. Here is a macro I took of a Zinnia in the back yard. The center is so detailed and cool looking, I had no idea they looked like this till I took this macro image. This photo will enlarge quite large.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 <a href=Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 _mg_2210" />

A link to a much larger version of this...

Zinnia Macro of mine

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:33 pm

beautiful flower MusicOTA  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:32 pm

I tried to get that program, Music, for creating the landscapes but its only a demo version so far- still has a lot of potential.

What I dont get is how they claim their ME map is based on DEMS.
DEMS are Digital Elevation Models- basically you scan the surface with radar and feed the numbers in.
There is an obvious problem therefore in making a DEM of a fictional place.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 am

the website doesn't say they are basing it on a DEM, but they are making a DEM.  A DEM refers to the set of numbers, not the method used to generate it.

But that youtube video didn't show me a single shot that made me realize it was middle earth.  I saw what could have been the White Mountains, but without the distinctive shape of Morder next to it, it could be any mountain range.

they should have waited until they had something recognizable before unveiling it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:37 am

A DEM refers to the set of numbers, not the method used to generate it.- Halfwise

Is that not a Heightmap?

When I import terrains into terragen the DEM's are of real world locations. Made up landscapes are usually Heighfield maps or some other format, I dont think Ive ever seen a DEM of a made up place.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:45 am

The phrase Digital Elevation Model comes from cartography, land hydrology, etc. They would only make DEMs of real places so the differentiation between real and made up would never occur to them. I doubt any of them would complain about the use of the phrase DEM, but would modify it by 'imaginary-DEM' or something if they wanted to make it clear it didn't come from a real place. Those who generate landscapes of course would have to differentiate.

MoA - Your shot of a zinnia reminds me of when I got to play around with an electron microscope for a few years.  It's amazing how beautiful things are that we never see.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:51 am

digging a little deeper, I see an implication that a DEM has continuous surface information, which would come from a method of interpolation between points. I suppose a heightmap would just be the collection of point values. The distinction doesn't seem to be between real and imaginary.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:18 am

Thanks for the info Halfy- Id still like to get hold of a made up DEM however and bung it terragen and see what it makes of it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:54 am

halfwise wrote:MoA - Your shot of a zinnia reminds me of when I got to play around with an electron microscope for a few years.  It's amazing how beautiful things are that we never see.

You got to play on an electron microscope? How totally cool!  I love those shots from them. That is something I have always wanted to play with. I have a few microscopes that I have explored the micro world with a bit, have enjoyed that since I was a kid.

The lens used in my macro is a fairly good one (100mm 2.8 Canon) and I am re-discovering many things that I thought I knew what they look like. I have dug Zinnias for years but had no idea the center was so detailed until this macro shot.

Glad you enjoyed that Zinnia too Ms Figg. Smile 

I am going to start searching for alternative images to replant in my mind to attempt to purge the Jackson ones... I suppose I should start by looking back at the thread here at forum shire and maybe at one ring...

but if anyone has any good direction to point me I would appreciate it. I have looked at deviant art, I don't care for the simple line drawing things I have found. This image may have already been posted here I don't know.It does look like Ian a bit, but not as much as most I have seen.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Gandal10

Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 am

In case anyone cares to browse...I just created a Set of images at Flickr called Public images of mine which have a mix of some of my photos. I don't usually post public things but use flickr as a way of sharing with friends and family, but I thought I would share with the forum folks. I don't know how long I will leave this set available to the public.  I tried to link a photo on this page but I don't think it is working so I will make a link too that will take you to Flickr for mywebmules photos... I also have a set of optical illusions and one of just interesting patterns and fractals there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95136031@N03/sets/

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 11492176823_fc2852d973_c

Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 am

That is an amazing shot MOTA, striking colour ! I love photo's like yours !  Nod

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 23 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:27 am

I thought I might just make one more post before I went to bed.  Very Happy 

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next