David H
halfwise
Orwell
the truth
Lorient Avandi
24 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by David H Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:14 am

If you're still viewing Fox News, you're as much to blame as anyone. They live on ratings, including international ratings.  Suspect 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 am

Fair point Dave!

Although in fairness to myself I probably would not click on such a story as it would not interest me- I go to Fox to get the right wing side of US politics (I have four US news networks on my bookmarks, alongside a lot of other global news media like Al Jazeera).
I try at least once a week to catch up on news media from every continent.
Russian and Chinese news is hard to get though or at least had to get real news from.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 pm

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Dumb-blonde1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Is she related to Boris Johnson ??

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Some people just have to kiss their lucky stars they happen to be cute.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Wish I had that excuse!  Evil or Very Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:12 am

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Bd315c6034a85edfff62e24b4b540923dc5475ef

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:45 am

lol!

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 23 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:45 pm

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/comcast-cash-spread-wide-on-capitol-hill-104469.html?hp=f2

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Corrupt seems a good word to use here, yes, definitely corrupt.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:39 pm

F You telecoms

So much for competition in the free market.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Another good example of why a society awash with guns is an extremely shit idea-

"the father, who was only identified as a 55-year-old in reports, was awaken by one of his other children at about 2:20 a.m. He was told someone was in his 16-year-old daughter's bedroom and he grabbed his gun.
He reportedly found the teen in bed with his daughter and confronted him.
The father said he told the teen not to move, but reportedly saw the teen reach for something, at which point police say the father opened fire. The teen did not have a gun. His daughter later confessed that she snuck her boyfriend, 17, into the house, the report said."

But apparently this is all fine in the good ole US where you can shoot dead unarmed children if you like as the father "will likely not be charged".

I am sure thats a huge relief to the family of the 17 year boy who is dead.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:07 pm

huh? not charged. You would get charged for shooting someones dog because it barked too much so why not a kid obviously not threatening anyone?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:11 pm

That really sucks, for everybody. But doesn't everybody know that you always sneak OUT of the house for a midnight rendezvous , you NEVER EVER sneak INTO somebody else's house???? That's illegal entry, and it can get you killed as easily with a baseball bat or a fireplace poker as with a gun, and not always by accident.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Lad was only 17- lots of hormones, not a lot of common sense- he doesn't deserve shot to death for being normal and horny.
This is the problem with guns.
The father has a gun, as soon as the kid makes a move the father assumes he too has a gun.
Take the gun and the assumption of guns out of the question and that boy is still alive today.

When your society has reached a point where adults shoot children dead based only on the fear the child might have a gun something has gone horribly wrong.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm

what about the poor girl having someone killed in front of her.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm

My father is a member of the NRA, and they send him these magazines in the mail. There's a section of the magazine that's devoted to stories of citizens shooting people or subduing situations with guns (think penthouse forum, but for crazed right-wingers). My father was reading this section one night, laughing aloud at these horrendous stories. No I'm sure they'd get a kick out of the one Petty posted.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:41 pm

The girl is the one I have the most sympathy for. Imagine all the guilt for having arranged the whole thing, and then having your lover, maybe your first, killed in your arms. That's the kind of thing that can screw you up for life.

I recognize that the young man (17 isn't a child, at least around here) may have had hormones that were out of control. But there are powerful hormones that make fathers protective of daughters too, and in the heat of the moment he may not have been thinking rationally.

This is not a new story, folks. It's a lot older than guns.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Here you are not legally an adult until 18.
If a 17 year old commits a crime they are still tried as a juvenile.

And whilst it may have got violent regardless, take the option of just shooting out of it and its much more likely a more sane outcome would prevail.
If such a thing happened here its unlikely the lad would end up dead.

Guns lead to assumptions (nearly always false it seems). The father has a gun so he assumes the 17 year old does too. If it was a gun free society that assumption would never have occurred and the immediate response to that assumption- lethal force - would not therefore follow either.

That assumption- that the other person will also have a gun- seems most dangerous to me and leads to pre-emptive force that is not at all appropriate or necessary to the circumstances.

The father is a murderer, and should be tried as such. He shot dead an unarmed person who was not a threat to him.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:16 pm

From what I can read, people are making lots of assumptions here. Without the detail of the situation that led to the shooting it is difficult to say if he should be tried for murder, man slaughter or at all.

For example, it's night, boy and girl are playing kinky tie up like Figgy does. Dad walks in, can't see much but can see outline of his daughter tied and gagged with a man in the bed. Man reaches over to the bed side table and you cannot see what for.

How many people in that situation would make a possible life or death judgement? Is his daughter being raped and the rapist is armed and likely to attack either you or the girl with a weapon?

On the other hand, if dad walks in and the light is on, asks boy what he thinks he is doing, daughter replies 'fucking my arse' and boy laughs and leans toward table to get a cigarette in a contemptuous fashion, how many dad's would get the red mist and want to do some lesson teaching?

If someone broke in to my house, as far as I am concerned they aren't there for tea and biscuits. I should be able to use whatever force at my disposal to deal with the situation (which may or may not result in use of a weapon).

On the other hand, just because someone I don't like is on my property doesn't mean I automatically have the right to do what I want.

Devil is in the detail.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

The father is a murderer, and should be tried as such. He shot dead an unarmed person who was not a threat to him.

Not here.   He'd never be charged with murder, and if he were, he'd surely be found innocent by a jury in 10 minutes.  

I do recognize your point that the assumption that everybody potentially carries a gun changes the equations on all sides.  That's exactly what keeps people from breaking into houses more often. It also means that if anybody IS bold enough to break into your house, you can fairly assume that they have taken precautions for you having a gun. It's something a young man should have thought about.

We'll never know what everybody was thinking, but unless there is more background,  it's reasonable to assume that if a father is waking up to sounds of an intruder, and finding a man in his little girl's bedroom (and most fathers still think of their 16 year old daughters as "my little girl"),  he's going to think "Rapist!" and be ready to fight, and to kill if necessary.  If it had been a rapist, that would have been reasonable use of force.

Edit: crosspost with Lance
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:23 pm

But you have to establish that fact first, not after youve shot him dead.

"That's exactly what keeps people from breaking into houses more often"

I dont buy that. There is little to no evidence that there is less housebreaking, or less violent crime in the US over countries with strict guns laws. If guns and death penalties are such a deterrent how come you have such a high percentage of your population in prison?

Lance- I dont disagree with your premise- but I know my first thought would not have been 'he's got a gun' and to shoot him myself because guns just arent in the equation here.
If I thought it was an intruder Id tool up, bat, kitchen knife, whatever is to hand- but I wouldn't attack first on the assumption the person in my daughters room is a threat.
Especially if its your daughter you have to establish what the situation is before you go crazy at them.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Our prisons are full of nonviolent drug offenders due to misguided "War on Drugs" and mentally ill inmates due to no longer having institutions other than prisons for them. Those are huge issues, but not for this topic.

Let me ask you this, Petty: What do you think are the deterrents to burglary when there is little chance of police showing up until the next day to make a quick report? Yet we have almost none. Door locks are optional, but it's not really a problem. Why do you think that is?
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Well large chunks of the rest of the world seem to manage such things without resorting to shooting people.

Perhaps if your police dont turn up till the next day better public funding of your police forces is required?
Here you have the right to 'appropriate force' if there is an intruder. This means you can say whack them with a baseball bat- but you cant capture them first, tie them up then start whacking them with a bat- that would be 'inappropriate force'.
As in the case of a farmer who was prosecuted because he shot the burglar in the back as the burglar fled- meaning his use of force was found by the Court not to be 'appropriate' to the danger.

In this case the shooting of this young lad does not seem at all appropriate use of force in the circumstances.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:58 pm

The rules here are very similar to yours, Petty.  The sheriff's department has made it very clear that those are the rules if somebody is behaving inappropriately in your barn, in your yard, on your porch. But if he enters your house without your permission he is automatically assumed to pose a real threat, and lethal force is considered appropriate.  (It's also been mentioned that there's less paperwork that way).  I think the take-away message is "Don't shoot people. But if you do, drag them into your kitchen and save everybody a lot of trouble. "

Personally,  I remember a time when I was 16 or 17 when a certain young lady offered to leave her bedroom window open.  I completely understand the temptation.  But the thought of her father with a shotgun was enough to overcome the hormones.  pale
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next