Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Ally
29 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Television programmes - Page 40 Empty Re: Television programmes

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Does it actually end Eldo? There only were 3 series of the BBC version, and where it finishes, well you couldn't have kept it going lets say, its a definitive ending. So is this? or have they left it open for more with an eye on the bucks?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:12 pm

I think they're going to have an ending eventually, but this clearly wasn't it. There will be at least one more season of this one. I did actually think that the US version would end in three seasons too since the first two seasons followed the structure of the British version reasonably closely, but this one was sloooooooooow as hell.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 pm

I've finished the season, Eldo, so you can go ahead and post your thoughts.

I also did feel something at the end, but at the very end when Claire dropped her bombshell. I had been waiting for it for about 2/3 of this season. But knowing how this show is, they'll probably have her cave and change her mind.

I agree that the show is technically well done. I especially like the music. It doesn't stand out to me, and there are no incessant "themes" or "leitmotifs." It really sets the mood well for what this show wants to be.

I was disappointed with what they did with Stamper's character. I thought they would follow the BBC version.

Spoiler:

I feel like this is an "okay" show, overall. I understand that they would want to try something apart from the original BBC series, but all the charm is lost, which is really unfortunate.

The BBC series moves at a brisk pace, which is great. William Shakesman once wrote, "Brevity is the soul of wit." This means don't waste my time. Stop wasting my time, stop it!

I feel like this show is wasting my time for a majority of the time.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 pm

I wish that the Doug and Rachel story had been resolved sooner.  I assume they wanted to show Doug's long-term obsession but it got old after a while.  Reintroducing Rachel for the first time in the final episode was also a really poor use of screen time when there were much more interesting subplots just reaching a boiling point.

I feel like Claire got beaten with the idiot stick during the break between seasons.  She displays a ridiculous amount of naivete in the whole UN subplot, particularly with her insistence that the must be given the ambassadorship even after the Senate rejects her.  Of course, politics in House of Cards doesn't follow any rules but authorial fiat, so maybe Claire is genre-savvy enough to know that bulldozing over the separation of powers won't have any negative implications for her or Frank in the election, but that just makes it a slightly different kind of stupid.  And Frank, as much of an asshole as he is to everyone around him, has a point that Claire has always known that Frank is public face of their partnership and the one who does the office-holding, while she works more in the background.  I don't think they really established a decent reason for her becoming dissatisfied with this arrangement if she'd been happily going along with it for 30 years.  At least she didn't decide she wanted a baby again like in S1.

I've said my bit about Frank and his actions already.

This was really only the first half of a season.  I'm with Mr Shakesman.  Stop wasting my time, House of Cards!

Nah but seriously, it's still a fun ride, I'm just not sure how much longer I'll be able to say that. I was glad Freddie came back though. I hope Remy and Jackie do something interesting in the next season. It'll be interesting to see how the election plays out but I know I'm going to have to turn my brain off for it, and I don't like the feeling of having to do that to enjoy a story.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:18 pm

In the UK version his wife is very much a Lady Macbeth character- she prods him and encourages him, flatters his ego and draws him on, shores him up when he is doubtful, she sets up challenges for him when he has no more battles to fight, she even introduces Maddie to him as someone she thinks will be useful to him and to sleep with.
But he doesn't have a story of her own as such, we dont spend screen time with her alone, all we see of her life is through him, and the ending of the UK one therefore fits perfectly- if you'd seen her machinations it would spoil it.

I wonder if they still plan to end it the same way in the US version.

I also found her entire invented story in the US incredibly boring, I just wanted to fast forward through them as they seemed contrived and irrelevant and to exist for no more reason than to be politically correct and to give the wife character a story of her own and lots of screen time. But its not her story, or even their story, its his, in which she is merely another character.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:37 am

I used to watch this. See if you recognise Judy Dench ?

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:43 am

I used to watch this also Smile

Television programmes - Page 40 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Television programmes - Page 40 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:20 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:31 pm

End of an era really. It wont be the same without Clarkson. The public would like him back but, I suspect a big chunk of television big wigs wont,

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:49 am

Laughing @ that video

Clarkson was an entertaining host but he brought this on himself.  I'm sure he'll land comfortably at Sky or some other station though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:46 am

Oh yeah ! He'll make sure hes doing ok somewhere along the line Nod
And isnt it proved that 'bad publicity is good publicity ?'

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:28 pm

it will be ok if all three of them go to another station.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:28 pm

I have no sympathy for Clarkson, he brought this entirely upon himself (though I'm inclined to wonder why he decided to punch a producer he'd worked with for years), I thought Top Gear was getting kinda tired the last few years anyway, it became more and more obviously scripted jokes about three middle aged men crashing expensive cars in random fields (and I say that as someone who watched it only for the crashing cars and humour) so I couldn't see it going much longer.

He was an entertaining presenter, but he's probably going to make more money and have more freedom at a different TV network, and I presume the other two will go with him. I doubt the BBC will let Top Gear go so easily, it's their biggest money maker, though I doubt they could replicate the humour or energy Clarkson and co brought to things.

Top Gear with the likes of Clare Balding, Stephen Fry or Chris Evans for instance...just sounds wrong...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Wait so what happened?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Clarkson, who is a co-host of one of the BBC's most successful shows, had been warned after his last racist comment scandal that he was only one more misstep away from being fired.  Then just recently he repeatedly punched a producer on the show during a so-called "fracas", which an internal investigation found to be unprovoked assault.  Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC himself, and the BBC suspended him from the show (meaning he couldn't record the last few episodes of the current season) and then shortly thereafter announced that he wouldn't be returning at all.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:57 am

He was upset over hot food not being served by the caterers at one of the locations.  Punching a producer over that, I would have fired him too, and well done.

----------

Continued here: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t1229-television-programmes-2

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40