Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (total conversion mod for Skyrim)

+13
Ringdrotten
chris63
Norc
Owen Yulefield
Mrs Figg
Garek the Guard
Ally
azriel
Eldorion
CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
David H
RA
17 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (total conversion mod for Skyrim) - Page 3 Empty Re: Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (total conversion mod for Skyrim)

Post by Eldorion Thu May 09, 2013 2:48 am

Hi Owen, welcome to Forumshire! I'm afraid I've never played MERP or Skyrim, though we have a couple of Skyrim players on here. I'm glad to hear that RA is still getting his message out; I admire his determination. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (total conversion mod for Skyrim) - Page 3 Empty Re: Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (total conversion mod for Skyrim)

Post by RA Thu May 09, 2013 2:51 am

Owen Yulefield wrote:RA, when should I expect to see yours?
As soon as I learn how youtube works Laughing
A few weeks probably.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Thu May 09, 2013 3:52 am

skyrim is so overrated

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Owen Yulefield Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
Owen Yulefield wrote:RA, when should I expect to see yours?
As soon as I learn how youtube works Laughing
A few weeks probably.

It isn't too hard. As long as you have a basic editing software, just put in some pictures and some fitting music and that's all there is to it Very Happy Lemme know once you do upload it though, I'll want to see it!

Owen Yulefield

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Thu May 09, 2013 11:34 pm

skyrim is ok i guess but it's a little lame compared to morrowind

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (total conversion mod for Skyrim) - Page 3 4UBX7

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat May 11, 2013 1:32 pm

I agree with Caroline.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun May 12, 2013 5:38 pm

shut up bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Owen Yulefield Mon May 13, 2013 12:14 am

This Caroline character is..... Different.

Can we please just keep this thread MERP oriented? I'm sure RA would appreciate it. Thanks.

Owen Yulefield

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 13, 2013 1:18 am

I'll pass that suggestion along to the Admin. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 am

sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 am

so

Owen

LOTR is fairly linear, while Skyrim is open. They are very different things , but Skyrim's sidequests certainly give it longevity. As is the norm in the Elder Scrolls series the sidequests make the game. So is most of the mod going to be poorly written fanficion? And surely LOTRO proved that a mix of a structural narrative with side missions fail when it comes to compelling gaming?

Back to top Go down

Post by Owen Yulefield Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 am

Good question, but I'm not a part of the MERP team so I can't really say. I believe they're going to use the movies as a sort of basis to how everything is going to be structured but they will use the literature as ideas for everything.

But like I said, I'm not a part of the MERP team. You'll have to ask one of them over at Moddb for more reliable info.

Owen Yulefield

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 am

A politicians answer

two paragraphs to say i don't know lol

stick around owen you seem cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 13, 2013 4:04 am

I believe they're going to use the movies as a sort of basis to how everything is going to be structured- Owen

This is the bit I dont understand. And the best reason they might fail at Court.
Why copy the film look for stuff? PJ got most of it wrong anyway so it doesnt even make sense and surely weakens their case that the mod draws from the source material not the films.

ps Owen in case you find it amusing- (you never know!)

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t426-canthiss-and-lydia-a-tale-of-skyrim?highlight=canthiss

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 am

doesn't LOTRO have the rights to the books though

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 am

Yeah, the game adaptation rights for both the books and the movies were consolidated a few years ago.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 am

Yeah but its one thing to make a fan mod based on a book, and another to also use all the visuals from a film to do it. Thats got to make things worse.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote: This is the bit I dont understand. And the best reason they might fail at Court.
Why copy the film look for stuff? PJ got most of it wrong anyway so it doesnt even make sense and surely weakens their case that the mod draws from the source material not the films.
I think it's important to note that Merp will cover areas of Middle Earth that the films never conveyed and sure the iconic locations bear similarities, but I think that's mainly because it's based on Alan Lee's design.

They never reached Minas Tirith, but they would have kept the Rammas and homesteads. They were going to make the mountains tall enough to force the player to use a mountain pass to clear it.
There was going to be a fidelity to the text when creating the various landscapes the films didn't touch.
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Yeah but its one thing to make a fan mod based on a book, and another to also use all the visuals from a film to do it. Thats got to make things worse.
The films only cover a small portion of Middle Earth though and there are visual differences.
CC12 35 wrote: LOTR is fairly linear, while Skyrim is open. They are very different things , but Skyrim's sidequests certainly give it longevity. As is the norm in the Elder Scrolls series the sidequests make the game. So is most of the mod going to be poorly written fanficion? And surely LOTRO proved that a mix of a structural narrative with side missions fail when it comes to compelling gaming?
The White Council story line will probably be the fanfiction stuff. The Ringbearer's storyline would've been relatively true to the book (if played right) and structured. The free roam mode would exist for those who want to explore Middle Earth and play it similar to Skyrim.

As for compelling gaming, that's yet to be seen. I believe Merp certainly had the potential, but it's too hard to make a case for or against it this early.

All in all, the work would've been different enough from both the films and the book to be considered transformative. It's my understanding that mod team doesn't wish to go to court, though I must stress that lies soley with them and I do not know how they plan to handle that.
Not that they'd have to go to court if the Estate wins against Zaentz and Warner Brothers anyways.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 am

It'll still be the best LotRs comp game- not thats there is much competion- last decent one I played was a text adventure on my zx spectrum.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Owen Yulefield Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 pm

So RA, does this mean the things that WERE in the film would look totally different? For example, what about certain armors? I saw that they are using Gondorian armor and Rohirrim Armor (from the Oblivion MERP) which both looked the same as the film. That's my main question.

Owen Yulefield

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon May 13, 2013 4:08 pm

MERP will fail; it will burn.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon May 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Owen Yulefield wrote:So RA, does this mean the things that WERE in the film would look totally different? For example, what about certain armors? I saw that they are using Gondorian armor and Rohirrim Armor (from the Oblivion MERP) which both looked the same as the film. That's my main question.
You'd have to ask the team that. I'm not sure.
I remember them catching a lot of flak from people for not wanting to put the elves at Helm's Deep; it seems like they have a genuine interest in making a departure from the films. It's refreshing.
Ally wrote: MERP will fail; it will burn.
If everyone had that attitude, it would have months ago.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm

shut up ally

Back to top Go down

Post by Owen Yulefield Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 am

Hmmm. Well I really do enjoy the films. I think they should make the events in the films the same (Battle of Hornbug, various armors, etc.) because people might get confused and/or disappointed if it's different. I, for one, do appreciate the fact that they want to use Tolkien's works as an inspiration but I really want to see the armors and weapons look the same as the film.

But I don't know. Whatever the MERP team thinks is best Razz

Owen Yulefield

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next