janesmith
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
8 posters

Go down

The Hobbit as prequel Empty The Hobbit as prequel

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I just saw a link to this article on TORn, which got me thinking:

Dan Brown wrote:But here’s the thing: Tolkien wrote LOTR after The Hobbit, not before. Those three books came out starting in 1954, so The Hobbit is the original work and LOTR the sequel to it, not the other way around.

This means The Hobbit does not fit the definition of a prequel: A story created as a sequel, but set in the past of the original work.

Interestingly, I just made a post about a similar topic on Planet Tolkien earlier today:

Eldorion wrote:My feelings are somewhat similar to Kafria's. I am not at all enthused about the apparent plan to make The Hobbit a typical movie prequel, instead of an adaptation of the original book (which is not a prequel). I am hopeful that LOTR roles such as Frodo will be, as Elijah Wood says, minor, but the fact that they are being added at all suggests to me that the film-makers are just trying to shoehorn in as many familiar faces as they can. As discouraged as I am by all the non-Tolkien material, I'm even more worried that the films will simply repeat the mistakes of so many other movie prequels of recent years.

Now, clearly, Mr. Brown (no idea if he's the same guy who wrote The Da Vinci Code Razz )is correct that Tolkien's book The Hobbit is not a prequel. It doesn't fit most dictionary definitions and it doesn't fit the common usage of the word. However, I think that the way the film-makers appear to be making the two films (based on the various statements they have made over the past few years), I think it appears that they are trying to make a prequel to PJ's film version of LOTR.

The point I'm getting at is that I'm rather worried that The Hobbit will turn out to follow the standard movie prequel MO of including as many old characters as possible and keeping many similarities to the original work. The book is in this case written in a distinct style and tone from LOTR, but the films will include a number of common characters beyond those between the books, as well as bringing back Sauron as a villain. I worry that this will end up making the Hobbit films weaker and more derivative than the book they're based on.

Perhaps I'm just cynical, but movie prequels rarely seem to turn out that well. I'd rather they focused on adapting the book than making connections with the first three films. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit as prequel Empty Re: The Hobbit as prequel

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 pm

This is what I've being saying along Eldo!
I raised fears long ago about the difference in tone, in fear PJ would do exactly what he appears to be doing- altering TH to fit his version of LotR.
Its seems ever more clear that TH story is going to be no more than a skeleton on which they hang their own LoTRised version of TH with the rise of Sauron, the corruption of Saruman, the discovery of the Ring (and somehow I suspect they will make more of that now than in the book) the WC and even a love story with some elves. We have Frodo, Legolas, Radagast, Galadriel- its not shaping up well as an adaptation is it?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by janesmith Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Including Radagast is a severe problem among severe problems. Will they introduce him and then kill him off? He appears only in Tolkien's book (LotR not TH), and he is not even in the films. Unless he will just be a cameo at the WC with no real weight as a character? The stronger his characterization, the more notable his absence will be from the LotR movies:-Jane
janesmith
janesmith
Mother Superior: Our Lady of the Anklelength Frock

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

janesmith wrote:Including Radagast is a severe problem among severe problems. Will they introduce him and then kill him off? He appears only in Tolkien's book (LotR not TH), and he is not even in the films. Unless he will just be a cameo at the WC with no real weight as a character? The stronger a character he turns out to be, the more noticeable his absence from the LotR movies will be:-Jane

Interesting! Had not thought of this. What you say makes much sense and I'm no longer too happy about Radagast in TH. They could end up killing him off, they killed Haldir so they could certainly do it again if they think it is needed.

The Hobbit as prequel Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 pm

That's a good point, Jane, and one I'd not considered myself yet. I think it's reflective of one of the problems facing movie prequels in general, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:34 am

Eldorion wrote:That's a good point, Jane, and one I'd not considered myself yet. I think it's reflective of one of the problems facing movie prequels in general, though.

Well, as we all seem to agree that The Hobbit is clearly NOT a prequel, I don't think it really causes any problems that Radagast isn't in the LotR films. He'll just be a character that appears in the White Council Sequences. No White Council in the LotR films, so no problem at all really.

As to The Hobbit being called a Prequel, that's just silly. Dan Brown's Angels and Demons was written before the Da Vinci Code, and there wasn't all this nonsense about being a "prequel." It's the wrong word entirely.

I like what The Hobbit is termed on the Book's cover: "the enchanting Prelude to LotR." Prelude is grammatically more correct as it is a clear statement that The Hobbit came first.

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

The Hobbit as prequel Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Well I still think there is grounds for calling it a prequal. A dictionary definition of the word is: (Performing Arts) a film or book about an earlier stage of a story or a character's life, released because the later part of it has already been successful

Despite the factor that The Hobbit was written an age before LOTR, it's events come before LOTR, which classify it as prequel surely? To be a prequel it doesn't have to be written before something else in my mind. To me, especially after reading LOTR for the first time, The Hobbit is a sort of a prequel, set in happier times, which make the stark change in LOTR even more vivid. But maybe that's just me... cheers

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Gandalf's Beard wrote:As to The Hobbit being called a Prequel, that's just silly. Dan Brown's Angels and Demons was written before the Da Vinci Code, and there wasn't all this nonsense about being a "prequel." It's the wrong word entirely.

I agree with you about the book, GB, but the idea of this thread was the implications of certain potential changes on the films. I certainly agree that the book is not a prequel, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Ally wrote:Well I still think there is grounds for calling it a prequal. A dictionary definition of the word is: (Performing Arts) a film or book about an earlier stage of a story or a character's life, released because the later part of it has already been successful

Despite the factor that The Hobbit was written an age before LOTR, it's events come before LOTR, which classify it as prequel surely? To be a prequel it doesn't have to be written before something else in my mind. To me, especially after reading LOTR for the first time, The Hobbit is a sort of a prequel, set in happier times, which make the stark change in LOTR even more vivid. But maybe that's just me... cheers

A prequel is a type of sequel, not the opposite of a sequel. I don't think The Hobbit is a prequel to LOTR anymore than the first Harry Potter book is a prequel to the second. The implication when talking about a prequel is that it was made after the original work, but that it goes back to an earlier point in time in the fictional world. Just looking at your definition, it points out that the prequel was released because something else was already successful. The Hobbit was the first book set in Middle-earth to be published. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:56 pm

" prequel was released because something else was already successful."

Surely The Hobbit is being released because of the critical acclaim that the LOTR trilogy received though? Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:57 pm

That is true, and it's why I think the films could be considered a prequel to PJ's films even though the book is not a prequel at all. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Prequel is a made up word that means a sequel which contains events prior to later events that has already been published. The Hobbit was written first, thus it can't be a prequel. LotR is a Sequel of the Hobbit, regardless of which was filmed first. Prelude would be grammatically more correct to describe The Hobbit.

(sorry for being a grammar nazi Embarassed )

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:11 pm

That's entirely true when talking about the books but the film-makers are making their own creation. Their version of The Hobbit is shaping up to be fairly different from the book and to have many more direct connections to the LOTR films, so I don't see the problem in considering that the films might be different from the book when it comes to prequel status as well. If nothing else, the film-makers seem to be approaching this with the attitude of it being a prequel to PJ's LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Eldorion wrote:That's entirely true when talking about the books but the film-makers are making their own creation. Their version of The Hobbit is shaping up to be fairly different from the book and to have many more direct connections to the LOTR films, so I don't see the problem in considering that the films might be different from the book when it comes to prequel status as well. If nothing else, the film-makers seem to be approaching this with the attitude of it being a prequel to PJ's LOTR.

I can't believe that I'm being as Crabbity as Petty about this. Rolling Eyes It doesn't make any difference to me. most of the "new sruff" is stuff that Tolkien SHOULD have put in the Hobbit. Razz

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:23 pm

I am so not going there right now. Razz

Agree to disagree? Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Eldorion wrote:I am so not going there right now. Razz

Agree to disagree? Wink

Of course. Very Happy

I'm probably just being grouchy from lack of sleep (though it's always annoyed me that Tolkien left out what Gandalf was doing with all that coming and going. I mean, being his beard and all, I SHOULD know what Gandalf was doing Razz ).

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Knowing what Gandalf (and his Beard) is doing, where he is and what's happening will alter his character from the book. It will make him more like the Gandalf of the films. Less mysterious, less enigmatic. Gandalf's coming and goings are perfect when you're a kid, adults do it all the time go off somewhere no idea where and come back a bit stressed (turns out it was work they were going to!).
But that feeling when the only person who knows what's going on disappears somewhere and leaves you for periods of time is one all children have an empathy with. We all think as kids our parents must know everything, like Gandalf, and when they are not around life is all the more uncertain for it. As it is for Bilbo.
Showing where Gandalf is and what's going on ruins that completely.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 am

Gandalf being missing - and not knowing where he was - made it all the more tense for me as I walked with the Company through Mirkwood, starving slowly... pale

{{{admittedly, I snuck a cheese and bikkie snack - or two... [and a sandwich - or two] ... I mean, it's not like the dwarves knew I was nibbing away -and it's not as if I could share with them - I did want to... I swear I would have shared if I could have... honest... you do believe me don't you, Petty? Embarassed}}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 am

{{{{ If it will make you feel better Orwell , yes, and thats more important than truth. Reading my above post back its surprising insightful! Must have been at least a six barrel post that one drunken }}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 am

I suspect you were only on a barrel a day back then.. not that you'd remember... what with the lost brain cells and all....

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am

Hey they are not lost, they are very, very drunk somewhere having a good time.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 am

You only 'believe' that. How can you 'know'?

Orwell

Back to top Go down