Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart

+3
Eldorion
Orwell
Mrs Figg
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart - Page 3 Empty Re: Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Laughing and weeping Eldo staggered to his feet, Beregrong gently helping him not wishing perhaps to show how worried he was. Eldo, as they called him in the guards room had always been a steady and serious man, and he could not but think that something was terribly amiss, he seemed to have forgotten who and where he was.
They walked to the house of the Healers, down winding and gently curving streets towards a large door in a cool courtyard. Eldo sat on a stone bench while Bregrond went within, before long a woman walked towards him, she was dressed in a long grey habit and a cream coloured woolen cowl over her grey hair, her face was round and her cheeks were as red as a ripe apple. She looked both motherly and strict at the same time, and Eldo felt a sudden rush of emotion, he wanted to tell this woman everything, to confide in her and seek some kind of foothold in reality. He was still elated but worried too, could he ever return to his home? would he ever see Nora again, suddenly he missed his home.
She beckoned to him to follow, inside she felt his pulse and head, and told Beregrond that Eldo should remain with them until he regained his memory. She asked whether he had injured his head or fallen from his mount. Eldo explained all that had happened, feeling almost embarrased as it seemed so far fetched to talk of Svalfart in this sunny room in the company of this sensible woman.
Eldo could not sit still he wanted to be outside and exploring. He wanted to see, oh the words seemed so shining and joyful in his heart, could it be that he would see, the King? Aragorn? The thought made the hairs on the back of his neck prickle and his stomach did a back flip.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart - Page 3 Empty Re: Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Eldo begged Filiberta to tell him about the city, who was king?, what was the year?, everything, he explained that the more he knew the sooner he would remember. As he did not look physically unwell or feverish, Filiberta agreed that he could leave for a short while to visit his old haunts, she figured that a guard of the citadel could be trusted, she 'reminded' him of the passwords and let him go with the promise that if he should feel unwell to return immediately. Eldo set off with a flask of fresh water and some sweet bread cakes in his pocket. He could hardly believe that he was a free man in the great city, free to wander, free to breath the air, free to dream with eyes wide open.
But where to go first? Eldo had always wanted to see the fabled Tree, the White Tree, he wondered if it could be there before the Great Hall of the king. The guards let him pass, they turned their winged heads, and lifted their spears, he was alone and the wind was strong and smelled of adventure and mountains. The sun beat down on the white marble, a strange white light, not blinding but making the world seem intensely alive every detail etched on the retina. Eldo shivered with pent up tension and wonder, he felt like he would explode with ecstasy, he had never felt like this before, he shook with joy and wanted to shout and sing dance and whirl.
[url=Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart - Page 3 3331975381_b7832723dd_o][IMG]

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:32 pm

I get to explore Minas Tirith! cheers Now I know what you and Petty must have felt like when you first showed up in Nuwest Who. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Eldo walked to the edge of the battlements shaped like the prow of a great white ship and looked down over the expanse of the Pelennor fields. In the haze there were many small farmsteads and fields dotted with cattle, in the distance the purple mountains loomed, their tips capped with snow made pink in the sunlight, below within the city walls some white pigeons fluttered from a garden and settled onto a magnolia tree, someone was burning leaves and the smoke made his eyes water he wiped them with his black sleeve.
"Eldo!! he heard someone shout, "Is it really you?, oh thank goodness", Eldo spun round and saw Ringo running toward him. "Ringo!", he cried, "What the heck is going on? they both blurted out everything that had happened, they laughed and felt relieved and happy to see each other, but a niggling part of them wished that they had been alone in this great adventure, seeing someone from 'home' seemed both truly comforting but at the same time they had wanted it to be truly 'theirs' alone.
Ringo and Eldo had had very different experiences, for one thing Ringo was still in modern clothes. He had woken up in the stables, he said. He had woken up to find a huge white horse snuffling his hair. Ringo said he had hung about the stable for ages not knowing where he had pitched up until a tall man in green had stopped him and demanded his horse. "I told him I was from the frozen North and I was lost", said Ringo ruefully. "luckily these Minas Tirithians are pretty hospitable, he invited me to stay at his lodgings. "He's got this huge mansion thing with stone arches and fountains and stuff, its really cool here isnt it?" Ringo seemed delighted with the turn of events. "yeah" said Eldo "Its pretty cool indeed".
[url=Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart - Page 3 Minas20Tirith][IMG]

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:53 pm

"you will never guess who the fellow in green is?" said Ringo bubbling with excitement, "Its Prince Faramir", he cried, "Can you believe it? we are going to Ithilien, he is taking me too, he says they need goodly men to settle there and he wants me to go with the household. me. wow". "But we musnt get separated", said Eldo suddenly not wanting to lose sight of Ringo, "we have to stick together, we dont know whats going on yet, I think its better if I come with you, do you think he would invite me too?, I am supposed to be a Guard of the citadel, and I dont think its the sort of thing you just walk away from", its getting very complicated". Ringo said they should both go back to the mansion and change their clothes. Maybe nobody would notice if Eldo and Ringo suddenly became ordinary citizens of the city.
As a guest of Faramir and having the passwords of the city, they were both welcome everywhere. They changed into suitable clothes offered to them by the servants in the mansion and waited for Faramirs return. Eldo was very nervous, he walked up and down the loggia waiting for the moment of introduction. Faramir was something of a surprise.
He was a lot older than expected. He had long black hair flecked with grey and a tall but wellbuilt figure, he laughed a lot and seemed a jolly type. Faramir seemed to like his food, and wine, and singing. Eldo was quite shocked and a bit disappointed, he had expected the Faramir of legend, the young and romantic Faramir. This was a contented and pretty angst free chap he saw at the head of the table. Faramir welcomed them both and regaled them with funny tales and court chit chat, he said he was longing to get back to the 'country' and his wife. Eldo asked about the King and Queen, about the young Prince, about Eowyn and The War. Ringo and Eldo could have stayed awake all night listening to those tales, they fed their imaginations with a heady a draught as the strongest wine. But Faramir bade them retire for on the morrow they would depart.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:22 pm

It was a warm and fragrant evening, the stars were shining in the fountains, the trees softly rustled, and only the fronds of jasmin moved in the night breeze. Eldo and Ringo walked as if in a dream, not wanting to sleep in case they would wake to find themselves back in the real world. They were ushered to a small but comfortable set of rooms off the main courtyard there were cool beds and fresh clothes, in front of their lodging was a grassy lawn with little white flowers that glimmered in the dark like stars, tall cyprus trees guarded the white stone path, a little rivulet bubbled silver by its side. There was a hush and a deep sleepy quiet. Eldo yawned.
His eyes felt gritty and they slowly closed, he felt himself drift off into the great unknown that is sleep.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Nora woke with a start and realized that Eldo was no longer there, he had been quietly sleeping since the night of the party, but now he was simply gone. Nora hoped that he had just woken up and gone downstairs for breakfast, but the silence in the house was absolute. She dressed and hurried to Orwells house, as she got there Orwell dashed out and in a panicky voice explained that Mrs Figg had disappeared as had many others from the town. People had woken to empty beds. They ran down to see the chief Inspector, the Artist formerly known as Halfwise, now (weirdly) called Nigel. Ferguson answered the door and looked down on them from his aquiline nose. "The Master aint ere", he sniffed, "I warmed up is nasty brioche (foreign muck whats wrong with kippers like normal folk?) and e werent there", I am gettin a bit worried, he asnt ad his cod liver oil and e doo get ratty when hes bunged up". Nora and Orwell looked at each other, oh no!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Before they left Minas Tirith Eldo thought he should leave some letters of explaination to Beregrond, as he had been kind to him, and Eldo didnt want him to be angry or upset at his disappearance. Eldo and Ringo noticed that the air of Middle Earth made them very hungry, they laughed about the greedy hobbits as they now understood why the hobbits were always moaning about missing lunches. They trotted down to the guard house to leave the letter and returned to the mansion. They were also a bit nonplussed about the fact that everyone seemed to know who they were, Eldo had been a guard of the citadel and Ringo found out he had been chief keeper of Shadowfax the Great white horse of Rohan. They wondered if others from Svalfart had magically found themselves in this delightful pickle, had double lives in Middle Earth?
They dressed and were given places in a covered waggon pulled by great grey cart horses, the road was smooth and bordered by swathes of sweet grass which the horses cheekily tried to nibble as they rode along. Before long they turned and saw the city shining silver in the midday sunlight, fluttering pennants and banners were flying from the roof tops and trumpet calls of farewell for the Prince sounded long and vibrated in the crystal air. Eldo was sad to leave the city and wondered if he would ever return.
[url=Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart - Page 3 Minas_Tirith][IMG]
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:51 pm

They travelled for many days and made camp among the trees and hills. While travelling in the van they became friendly with another soldier, he too was black haired and had a deep scar on his cheek, he would keep apace with them on his palfrey and they exchanged tales and stories. Ringo had nearly fallen off the waggon when the man had given his name. Boromir. "But, but you are dead", spluttered Ringo, "You were killed by orcs, during the war, and and...he stopped seeing the amusement on Boromirs face, the scar stretched tight as he laughed, but he looked younger and more like his jovial brother. "You my friends have been reading too much Lore, ill wager its Master Tol you have read?" Boromir said ruefully, "He took against me, called me high handed, and had his revenge, killed me for good measure, but I miss the old man, he was a great one for tales". Boromir explained that Master Toll had come among them a few months after the Great War of the Ring, and had written the history of it while memories were fresh, he had told the king he had travelled from a far off land called Oxfordshire, and would be pleased to be their Lore Master. He had travelled far and wide, gleaning stories as far away as Bree it was said. "He undoubtedly saw Bilbo, and the Lore Masters from Rivendell, it is said he stayed long in the Shire, reading and writing". said Boromir. "Then as suddenly as he appeared, one day he was no more, we could not find him, the king was distraught as they had become friends. Alas this was long ago, and none have seen him since".

[url]Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart - Page 3 Whiteriderb[/url]
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 pm

I love your writing style, and fascinated by your meandering and unwinding imagination, Mrs Figg. Shocked

One must follow where one's imagination goes, doesn't one! Laughing

Your tale is full of cliches* Mrs Figg - as all Forumshire tales must - but cliches* woven seemlessly into a strange and wondrous new made tapestry! Shocked

I'm amazed ... and pretty fookin' jealous too! Nod

NB * My view is that every idea or experience is a cliche in one sense or another, and it's all up to the skill and the imagination of the Artist to weave the threads in a manner that seems totally fresh... (Did I ever tell you I love you? I love you )

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Embarassed jeepers
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 am

The days rolled on and on the seventh day they entered a verdant valley, it was surrounded by tall hills, the valley floor was full of flowering cherry trees the blooms were rosy pink and filled the air with sweet perfume. This is the vale of Minas Ithil, as before was Minas Morgul. Where once was noisome fumes and deadly white flowers that reeked of the charnel house, now was a place healed and fertile. The lady Galadriel had come after the war and with her help the place had been cleared of lingering wights and things unwholesome. The tower had been repaired and the gardens and orchards planted. This had occured ten years before, and now all was peace and harmony, this was the home of the Prince of Ithilien and his lady.

Eldo and Ringo walked through the gates and into the Great Hall. A lady walked towards them, she had a long gown of grass green. It was Mrs Figg. "What the buggering heck?" she said, her Mancunian accent breaking the atmosphere somewhat. "Eldo? Ringo? its really you?, youll never guess who is here? Its Halfwise and Dave! they are the LoreMasters to the Prince of Ithilien, how long have you been here? by all accounts I live here, weird huh? They all sat and talked until evening, each recounting their amazing adventures. "yes, said Mrs Figg, Tolkers came here, wrote the stories and then somehow found his way back to Oxford, how he did it nobody knows, he was in the Shire one day and the next minute poof he'd gone". Halfwise scratched his goatee, "you know" he said, "maybe if we go to the Shire we can find out what happened surely its worth a try?". "we have to get back sooner or later" said Eldo, "Nora will be wondering whats on earth is going on, I wish Orwell was here, he would know what to do". "oh I nearly forgot", said Mrs Figg, "hold onto your wimples, but we had a company of Elves through here a week ago, and guess what?, Amarie is an elf! I mean pointy ears and glowing in the dark and going to Lothlorien and everything", she cried. "I kind of knew it, but still, I dont think she wants to go home, she was talking about getting on a ship, the very last one to leave Middle Earth". "we have to stop her", said Ringo agitated, "she belongs with the Skandawegians, with me!" he seemed quite upset at the thought of a fellow Svalfartian going off into the Grey Havens never to return.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 am

Being LoreMasters Dave and Halfwise had pretty much say on where and what they did and had the freedom to travel in their capacity as seekers of the truth and tales. So one fine morning Eldo Ringo, Mrs Figg and the Loremasters went in search of the way back home. The road went ever on, and on, until they reached the Shire. On the outskirts of Bree they stopped, they all seemed to realize that this was the point of no return. Either they went back, and would probably forget their old lives, or they could go forward and would probably never return to Middle Earth. It was a hard, a very hard decision. They heard from Butterbur the landlord that the company of Elves had been seen not two nights ago heading for the Havens. "we must hurry", said Ringo, "we must catch up before its too late. "we must head for the place the Elves like to camp whilst in the Shire, the place near Farmer Maggot's, among the trees. They went quietly hoping to find the Elves, they knew that Elves could disappear at will and were not very friendly to strangers. They crept stealthly up the hill towards the catherdral like trees and amongst the clearing they found them. Amarie was there, singing with a rather pale and snooty looking boy elf. There were little lights dancing, and merrymaking. Amarie looked up just as the party moved into the clearing. Ringo walked forward and Amarie stood as if rooted to the ground. "Amarie" said Ringo, "we have come to take you home with us, please dont go to the Havens, you will never come back".

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 am

"I dont want to go back to smelly Svalfart" she said, "the Elves have accepted me as one of them, and I want to go". "But Amarie", said Ringo, "what about your friends, we will miss you, please dont go". "I dont know if you are tecnically an Elf", said Dave helpfully, "I mean we are still us, we havent changed, its just we have kind of slotted in here like a puzzle, I really dont think we belong here". "oh poo" said Mrs Figg, "let her stay if she likes it here, it is really lovely, I hardly want to go back myself, even if I am still married to Orwell". They tried to pursuade Amarie with all kinds of arguments and counter argument until totally irritated and bothered she told them that she would reconsider and leave with them for Hobbiton. It was difficult leaving the Elves. They were merry and told good stories, they also had rather delicious nosh and drinks. Hobbiton was exactly how they had imagined it. full of gardens, orchards, herb and vegtable patches, windy little white roads, round green hills, it was a rural paradise. "Well we're here, what now?", said Halfwise, eyeing the Green Dragon pub with a longing look. "what about a drink first eh?" they all went in and ordered some solid country fayre, large portions, and some old vineyards in pewter tankards. They all sat in the sunshine, each with their own thoughts. They remembered their adventures, they remembered the people they had met, the sights, the smells, the sounds, the feelings. It was warm and drowzy, the chairs were comfy and cushioned, the bees droned, the birds chirped, the breeze played softly....they slept...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

and they awoke in Svalfart.

The End
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:33 am

I really loved this story. Very Happy It was great to see a longer and more developed tale as well as to get to explore some of the side-characters in more depth and to go "on the road" to new settings. Thanks for continuing to write these, Mrs Figg! Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 am

thanks! Great story! A pleasent reading when I've just pulled out some teeth ^^ (not sarcastic btw Razz I needed something to cheer me up!)

Agent Nora and the Pied Piper of Svalfart - Page 3 Tumblr_lzrtgfFakU1r6qsts
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks guys Very Happy ouch! I hope you feel better soon Norc I love you
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3