What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now?

+10
Norc
Princessbee123
Eldorion
Orwell
Mrs Figg
David H
Pettytyrant101
Semiramis
chris63
leelee
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now?

Post by Norc Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:51 pm

then why are you here?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now?

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Is that any way to treat a new member Norc? :facepalm: Granted its an interesting choice of first post to make but hey, Free Spirits remember- logically must include those so free they dont even like to read! Shocked They could just be a fan of the films which is why they came here (Eru save their soul). But each to their own.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:19 pm

I think it was the upcoming movie that started this whole forum, not the books.

Anyway, as long as the princess has reinvigorated this thread, I'm mainly reading "Island of Vice" which documents Theodore Roosevelt's attempt in his pre-president days to clean up Manhattan. He was an unbelievable prude, but most Victorians were in public (while doing the most wonderfully scandalous things in private to balance it out). It was estimated that around 1890, 1 in 6 Manhattan men visited a prostitute every night of the week. This was arrived at by multiplying the number of prostitutes by the number of clients they appeared to have each night.

Anyway, the attempt to shut this all down along with drinking on Sundays (the only day off in those days) was of course doomed to fail, and the story of how people inventively evaded the crackdown is massively entertaining. I can't resist one story.

One law that passed regarding drinking on sunday had a loophole for hotels: drinks could be served to hotel guests during meals. Suddenly every bar closet and attic was subdivided with cots thrown in and people registered as guests upon crossing the threshold, at bargain basement prices of course. Then they all had to buy a sandwich to justify the letter of the law. These sandwiches were typically handed to the customer and soon handed back untouched to be reused by the next customer. Here's a quote from a barman:

"Ladies and Gentlemen [one perk of the law was that ladies who were formerly banished from saloons could be hotel guests with their 'husbands'] - I gots to apologize, we have to stop serving drinks for a few minutes because some damn fool ate the sandwich and there's not another one in the whole block that ain't in use."

And every now and then I read a few more pages of an environmental energy policy book just so I feel I'm improving myself.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

lol! Love that quote.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

oh the 1890's what a wonderful time to be alive, La Belle Epoque. The clothes, the trains, the artists, the poets, the music. How i would have loved to see Paris, New York, and London then.

What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now? - Page 2 T1

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Yeah Workhouses, Asylums, mass poverty, rickets, disease, the North of England a smog of Industrial Revolution pollutents and brutal work practices, children in mines and up chimneys and down sewers and the Thames so polluted and stinking they had to close Parliament because the smell was so atrocious. Ah yes, good old 1890's! Ooh, I see, you meant just the really rich people. Wink

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Is that any way to treat a new member Norc? :facepalm: Granted its an interesting choice of first post to make but hey, Free Spirits remember- logically must include those so free they dont even like to read! Shocked They could just be a fan of the films which is why they came here (Eru save their soul). But each to their own.

yeah, but you actually have to read to be on this forum. this forum doesn't exist as an audio-book.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Well.....yes, I concede that it literally true. Not sure thats what she meant though.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm

yes obviously the rich people, if I went back to the 1890's I would be an elegant member of the demi monde, supplying my eel wrangling services to the crowned heads of Europe, what did you think I meant the sans culottes, oh heavens no. I would hob knob with Oscar and Aubrey and Sarah, and I would get in quick, they all kicked the bucket in the 1900's.

What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now? - Page 2 Tumblr_m07tk6jYAN1qegasto1_400

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:18 pm

If you hung about witth that lot you'd be lucky to make it to the 1900's yourself.
"Would Madam like some laundenum and arsenic?" Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Oh Mrs Figg - you look just as I imagined you.

I've had absinthe, does that count?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Norc wrote:yeah, but you actually have to read to be on this forum. this forum doesn't exist as an audio-book.

lol! :facepalm:

Welcome to the forum, Princessbee!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 pm

yeah, sorry, WELCOME PRINCESSBEE! Very Happy

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Halfwise, be wary in your rendervousez here with Mrs Figg... Suspect

Oh yeah, welcome Princessbee...

{{{I'm watching you Halfwise! Suspect }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:13 am

hem! yes Halfwise dear, the Green Fairy is perfectly acceptable pon' lounging in insalubrious Parisian houses of ill repute, whilst Toulouse frolicks amongst the petticoats of buxom apple cheeked country wenches turned high kicking dancing girls from the Moulin Rouge. oh those were the days, I remember them well. Sad mais oui.

What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now? - Page 2 Renoir_moulin-galette
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:56 am

Mrs Figg, I find it frustrating how you promote all the best things of Culture and Civilization, while Petty idealizes his home town in all it's squalorous depravity. Please keep seeking out what is good in the World. Continue offering hope! Very Happy (I'll try to ignore Petty's excesses, henceforth! Rolling Eyes )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:00 am

Just off to the side of that picture there is an ancestor of mine, Marcel LeTyrant, who was waiter there, pissing in their wine barrell. Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:07 am

Gosh I say Henrietta old girl is that a Scotschappie peeing in that bucket down there?
yes Charles dont look, its winking at me.
oooh I feel queet queet faint
Me too, whats he doing now? oooo he's giving it a shake, yuck how frightful.

What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now? - Page 2 TheGalleryofHMSCalcutta1877Tissot
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:16 am

Frightful! They should be bloomin' impressed they can see it from up there.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pseudo-Kafria Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:36 am

How uncouth... Shocked

Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:39 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Gosh I say Henrietta old girl is that a Scotschappie peeing in that bucket down there?
yes Charles dont look, its winking at me.
oooh I feel queet queet faint
Me too, whats he doing now? oooo he's giving it a shake, yuck how frightful.

What did you just finish reading and what are you reading now? - Page 2 TheGalleryofHMSCalcutta1877Tissot

Mrs Figg, by now you will no doubt be more than well aware that I've tumultuously fallen out of love with you --- but... I ABSOLUTELY love that! Laughing Utter gold! cheers

{{{Nonetheless, I HAVE fallen out of love with you! You can only blame yourself! Mad }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:56 am

Myabe uncouth, still impressive though...

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:04 pm

I've been reading Yasunari Kawabata's The Sound of the Mountain. It's a lovely book, and he writes in such a way that it almost borders on poetry at times. Anyone else read it?

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by nevecelvin Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:59 pm

I just finished reading Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and have started reading L.J.Smith's The Secret Circle.

nevecelvin

http://www.3gorillas.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2