Amarië
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Needlehole Mysteries - Page 11 Empty Re: The Needlehole Mysteries

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 am

So, no carbonite then. Laughing
And yey for the hobbit underground resistance! Now who would look for a Breeland Hobbit under ground?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 am

oooh.. wonder who that could be.. ?

*in a very dramatic voice* Will Srg. Herring ever fully trust Agent Nora? Is Eldo really in love? What next? Who did Agent Nora call! Follow the episode for the epic continuing story of the mystery of the now found Mr Figg! badu baduuuuum!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:17 am

Laughing That reminded me of Calle from Raske Menn's brilliant movie trailer voice:
Clickety here to see what I am talking about.
Nod

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:22 pm

"foppish prattling". genius! cheers Nod
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

cheers Snabbgrabbar!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 am

I knooooow!!

And for no real reason: The Airplain train bus: Again with subs, so Orwell doesn't need to translate it and Petty can enjoy the music of the language. Wink

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm

I did something stupid and my hand is doing worse, so typing is going a bit slower than it would otherwise. However, that's given me plenty of time to plot out what's to come in a fair amount of detail. There should be an update tonight though. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Sad

welll, think of a good plot then, it better be good with us sitting here waiting Razz
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 pm

lol! Indeed. Nod
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:45 pm

#$%! computer crash made me lose almost all of the one of the crucial scenes for the entire story! And Windows Recovery only brought it back to the last save point, which I could have gotten on my own. Plus Windows take ages to reboot. Thanks for reminding me why I should have kept using Linux, Microsoft! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Now to go rewrite that scene before I forget what I had in mind. Sad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Evil or Very Mad Evil Microsoft- I feel for you Eldo, been there, got the t-shirt, smashed the room up in a rage. Save, save and save some more- only solution, do it often and regular.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 am

I only lost a page or so in the word document, but it was a really important scene and one I'd been struggling to get right so it really stings. Nothing for it at this point but try to re-write it as quick as I can but I'm having trouble recalling some of it already. Piece of shit Windows... Evil or Very Mad

I'm saving every paragraph now, believe me. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:20 am

The Mystery of Mister Figg

Part 8

Blinking rapidly, Agent Nora looked around. She had been here before. And then she saw...

“Nana!” she cried out in shock. “What are you doing here?”

“Having a cup of tea in my own kitchen,” the elderly female Hobbit whom Nora had addressed replied calmly. “What are you doing, Nora? I thought you were with the police, not the resistance.”

“It's a long story,” mumbled Agent Nora. Then her eyes widened. “You can't be part of the resistance! It just doesn't make sense?”

“Why not?” replied Nana Herring.

“Because … it doesn't,” Agent Nora finished lamely. She glanced back at her companions. Captain Orwell and Mrs Figg were dusting each other off rather more thoroughly than was necessary. DI Eldo and Sgt. Herring both looked uncertain.

“Julia! Oscar!” said Nana Herring warmly. “I thought we'd never see you here again. When we got the message that an old friend would be retunring, I didn't dare hope it would be the two of you. It's been too long.”

“It really has,” said Orwell wistfully. “But it's so good to be back. Where's David?”

“David is tending to the carrots in his garden next door,” said Nana Herring. “He should be back here in a few minutes.” Turning to the policehobbits, she gestured that they should sit down. “Thank you so much for returning Julia and Oscar to us. I'm Randi Herring, Nora's grandmother. But I see you've already met.”

“Yes, we have, thank you,” said DI Eldo taking a seat and looking around uncomfortably.

Sgt. Herring shook Randi's hand. “A pleasure to meet you, ma'am,” he said.

“And the same to you!” she said. “It's always so nice to meet a polite young man for once. It's good to know that they still raise you boys right back north.”

Sgt. Herring looked politely puzzled. “I beg your pardon?”

“I was born in Skattykatzenfjord,” said Randi. “I moved here before Nora's father was born but I'll never forget my childhood home. I could tell you were Fjordlandian by your accent.”

“It's a hard place to forget,” said Sgt. Herring proudly.

At that moment, a sweaty Hobbit in farm clothes burst in. “It's so good to see you again!” he called to Orwell and Mrs Figg. He embraced them both before turning to the policehobbits and extending a dirt-encrusted hand. “I'm Farmer David Hobbit, but folk just call me David H for short,” he said.

“A pleasure,” said Sgt. Herring with a polite smile, shaking David H's hand.

“Same,” said DI Eldo with a weaker smile, trying to avoid the filthier parts of the farmer's hand.

“What's the plan now?” asked David H.

“We were told simply to return Mrs Figg – Julia – to here. Our bosses don't want uniforms getting more involved than that.”

“We understand completely,” said Randi. “And we thank you for bringing Julia back safely. I must ask though, how did you find Oscar? I didn't know he would be coming with you.”

“We didn't either,” said Sgt. Herring. “But the Detective Inspector here decided to change our plans at the last minute and we ended up finding Orw- … Oscar almost by chance.” Sgt. Herring was nothing if not gracious.

“This works out perfectly!” said Randi delightedly. “I was in touch with Stuart via secure palantir just before you got here. He's our Hobbit on the inside. Everyone is ready to spring into action.”

“That's not the same Stuart who is the Deputy Director of the Intelligence Service, is it?” asked Agent Nora.

“The very same,” said Randi. “Nora, my dear, I didn't want you to find out so abruptly, but you've been surrounded by people fighting for a better Bree-land for quite some time.”

“I've heard a little bit about it already,” said Agent Nora, with a furtive glance at the DI. “It's just so much to take in. Bree-land being secretly controlled by the forces of the Dark Planet! I mean, how could that be kept secret?”

“The Dark Planet is sneaky and duplicitous, but you underestimate them at your peril,” said Mrs Figg gravely. They captured this land from Old Forumshire and it was only resettled at the approval of the Dark Lord. They weren't about to let their new real estate become independent.”

“But we're going to take it for the people of Bree-land!” said David H. “The number of actual Dark Planet forces here are small, and most of Bree-land's forces have no idea about who controls the police and the Intelligence Service. But we're going to put the truth out there and lead the uprising that sweeps away the Dark Planet from here for good.”

I know it's a lot to handle,” said Randi gently. “We can talk more later. But for now we need to move out. I believe you used to spend a lot of time looking for my cave when you were younger.”

Agent Nora smiled despite herself. “You can't be serious!” she laughed. “That cave is some sort of secret base?”

“Better than that,” said Randi with a grin. “It's our way into the heart of Bree City!”

Farmer David spent most of the rest of the afternoon gathering and double-checking all the equipment for the mission. “Most of it has already been taken to the staging point,” explained David, “but we don't want to forget anything by accident.”

Randi offered all of her guests tea and biscuits but was mostly preoccupied by contacting all of the resistance's operatives throughout Bree-land via secure palantir. Orwell and Mrs Figg helped David get ready, but DI Eldo, Sgt. Herring, and Agent Nora all sat quietly munching biscuits and being unsure of what to do next.

“We're going to move as soon as dusk is here,” Randi said as the afternoon wound down. “I understand you two policehobbits aren't supposed to go into the city with us,” she said to DI Eldo and Sgt. Herring.

“That's correct, I'm afraid,” said Sgt. Herring. “We're not supposed to have uniforms get too close to the action.”

“I understand perfectly,” said Randi. “Will you at least accompany us to the cave? You can wait there in relative comfort and it's more secure than in the village.”

“That sounds great,” said DI Eldo, speaking up suddenly.

“Wonderful!” said Randi warmly. “Nora, be a dear and help your grandmother bring in the last few things from the garden.”

Agent Nora shrugged and put down her teacup. She followed Randi down the hall and out the backdoor of the house. “What is there to bring in?” she asked.

“Just those two bags,” said Randi, pointing to a pair of rucksacks. “How are you doing, dear?”

“I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed,” admitted Agent Nora. “This is all so confusing. It doesn't seem possible that I could have been a minion of the Dark Lord.”

“You weren't,” said Randi reassuringly. “You've done nothing but serve the people of Bree-land. All we're going to do is take back our country for those people.”

Nora still looked glum and unconvinced.

“Tell you what,” said Randi. “How about you wait with those two policehobbit friends of yours after we get to the cave. We'll send word when the city is ready and you can see for yourself what we're talking about. I'm sure Stuart would be happy to show you the Dark Planet's secret communications, which will put all your doubts to rest.”

“That would be helpful,” Nora said carefully. She and Randi carried the rucksacks back into the house. The others were all waiting in the kitchen with the equipment they'd need to carry.

“All ready? Great!” said Randi. She and David pulled open the trapdoor and everyone filed down the ladder. David came last, pulling the trapdoor shut with a heavy thud.

“We're going straight through, back the way you came, and then it's up into the hills,” said Randi. The party moved through the pitch-black tunnel cautiously. Nora wondered if anyone had packed torches.

Soon they reached the far end of the tunnel and emerged into the night air. A full moon hung high in the sky. The trees cast strange shadows and patterns over the ground.

“Good visibility, but that goes for the other side as well,” Captain Orwell said gloomily.

“Don't worry, Oscar,” said Randi. “We're going straight up into the hills, away from the village. There won't be anyone to see us.”

The resistance had evidently rehearsed this mission and scouted the area many times, because Randi and David struck out along a hidden deer trail confidently and they passed a safe distance away from even the outlying farms. The trail became steep and the party began to climb the hills. Turning around briefly, DI Eldo caught a glimpse of the lanterns from the village shining through the trees like fairy lights.

After an hour and a half of climbing the increasingly steep hills they were all panting. At last, Randi paused at a rocky outcropping in a meadow. Turning around, she gestured at the panoramic view. “This is Bree-land,” she said.

Near the base of the hills, the party could see the lights of the small villages glistening from amidst the fields and forests like tiny stars. Off in the distance, the mass of Bree City loomed beneath its mountain. The lights of downtown spilled into all the surrounding area.. The smell of the sea surrounded the whole country and when he strained his eyes, DI Eldo could see the salty marshes on the far side of Bree-land.

“It's beautiful, isn't it?” said Agent Nora, sliding close to the DI.

“Yeah, it really is,” said DI Eldo. “We don't have hills and mountains like this in Forumshire.”

Agent Nora smiled but fell quiet. Behind them, Randi clambered down the rocks. “Right this way,” she called.

The entrance to the cave was hidden behind a large boulder set at the base of the outcropping. It was a tight squeeze to get behind the boulder, but once through there was a broad gap in the rock and then a large open space within the hill. Several dozen members of the resistance were waiting for them in the faint glow of shuttered lanterns.

“Are we the last ones to the party?” called out David.

“Fashionably late, as usual,” called back one of the resistance members, who was already wearing a mask to obscure her features. “Who are the newbies?”

“They're some friends who were helping us prepare,” Randi said. “But they aren't coming to the city just yet.” The masked Hobbit nodded in acknowledgment.

“Just how are you going to get to the city?” asked Sgt. Herring curiously.

“There's an underground train track that leads from here to the basement of a certain house in the outskirts,” said Randi proudly. “We have a smoke-free engine that will take us there.”

“That's incredible!” said the Sergeant. “How on earth did you manage it?”

“It's a little gift from some powerful friends in Forumshire,” Randi said with a smile. “It took us a long time to excavate the tunnel but we had help from some fine engineers.”

DI Eldo looked impressed as well, but not quite as enthusiastic. “Are you leaving immediately?”

“Yes, we have a schedule to stick to now that everything has been set in motion,” said Randi. “Make yourselves at home here. The palantir is in the back; we'll let you know when the Dark Planet's forces have turned tail and fled!”

All the resistance members quickly climbed down a set of rough steps carved into the rock until they reached their underground train. Climbing aboard, Mrs Figg waved to the policehobbits. “Thank you for all your help in bringing us here! Even you, Nora. Treat Eldo the way he deserves.”

Agent Nora glared and said nothing, and DI Eldo looked distinctly uncomfortable. It fell to Sgt. Herring to respond as the train pulled away. “Best of luck!” he called.

Once the sound of the train had faded into the distance Sgt. Herring took a seat on a bench in the back of the cave near the palantir. The resistance members had a small library of books and newspaper clippings about Bree-land and the Sergeant leafed through them. DI Eldo flipped through his notebook absentmindedly while Agent Nora sat still and tense, staring at the wall. All of them listened carefully for any notification from the palantir.

After what felt like hours had passed, Agent Nora stood up. “I need some fresh air. I'll be up at the lookout if anyone needs me.” DI Eldo mumbled his recognition and Nora stalked out.

A minute later, Eldo was still turning pages in his notebook without reading them. Sgt. Herring glanced at the DI and rolled his eyes. “Go after her, you idiot!” he said.

“What?”

“You're not fooling anyone by pretending to be absorbed in your work,” said Sgt. Herring. DI Eldo bristled but the Sergeant pushed on. “I don't exactly approve but you need to get out of this funk you've been in. Go talk to her.”

DI Eldo grumbled but he pocketed his notebook and went out by the same path as Agent Nora. He found her standing at the edge of the outcropping. She was staring at Bree City with a lonely look in her eyes.

“What a view, huh?” DI Eldo said lamely.

Agent Nora spun around. “What are you–?!” she broke off, looking regretful. “Hi,” she said after a moment's silence.

“What's on your mind?” asked Eldo.

Nora laughed softly. “Before you showed up I was just thinking how well this place is hidden. I spent so many summers as a girl trying to find the cave from my Nana's stories. I must have been in this meadow, even, but I never found it.”

“Well, they couldn't have stayed anywhere where the white wolves or the wildlings could have found it either,” Eldo said kindly.

Nora looked at him curiously. “I'm surprised you remember that from my story about the cave.”

“I have a good memory.” Eldo walked to the edge of the outcropping and stood next to Nora. Together they stared into the night.

After a moment, Nora took a deep breath and spoke up. “Do you...” she trailed off. “How do you feel about me?”

“You're a great person, and I'm glad to have met you,” Eldo said sincerely.

“Do you say to that everyone you work with?” demanded Nora.

“Of course not. I try not to say things I don't mean.”

“Everybody says things they don't mean.”

“I'm not like everybody.”

Nora sighed loudly in frustration. “If you're so bloody smart, then just answer the question you know I'm trying to ask!” she yelled.

“It's my job to make assumptions about people I investigate,” Eldo said softly. “I try not to make assumptions about people I care for.”

“Do you care for me as a colleague or something else?” Nora pressed on.

Eldo fought the urge to blush and only partially succeeded. “I like you more than usual,” he managed to say.

Nora laughed, but not cruelly. “You! You go from Mr Calm, Cool, and Collected to a blushing boy in seconds. Every time I think I have you figured out I realize I have no idea what makes you tick!”

Eldo gave a wry smile. “That makes two of us.”

“What do you mean?” Nora asked in surprise.

“For so long I had been moving forward without even thinking about it,” Eldo said with a sigh. “Even in this job everything came so naturally to me. Being promoted wasn't a conscious goal, it was just a matter of time.”

“That sounds like a sweet deal,” grumbled Nora enviously.

“I guess it was,” said Eldo. “But then that sonuva– I mean, Elthir scored better on the promotional exam than me and became Superintendent. That had never really happened to me before, you know? It's kind of pathetic but I guess I'd just taken doing the best for granted.”

“I don't think it's pathetic,” Nora said, moving to stand a bit closer. “I think it makes sense if that's all you ever knew.”

“It consumed me for months,” continued Eldo. “But then I got paired with Ringo and we were transferred to Needlehole. Exams and promotions seemed so distant from there. I wasn't thinking about it regularly anymore, much less constantly.”

“That's a good thing,” said Nora. “It's not healthy to obsess over a job too much.”

“I know that,” said Eldo. “But that doesn't mean I believe it. Though I have no idea what to believe now.”

“I think you made a friend when you met Sgt. Herring,” Nora said. “And that's a good thing.”

“I'm grateful for it,” said Eldo. “But relationships of any sort aren't really my area of expertise.”

“What about Mrs Figg?” asked Nora.

Eldo looked nervous for a moment but then he chuckled to himself. “We were both lonely and needed someone to turn to. But neither of us were really able to open up at that point. That's the main reason we eventually stopped seeing each other.”

Nora looked relieved. “You seem able to open up right now,” she pointed out.

“I do, don't I?” Eldo said with a grin. “I wonder what that means.”

Nora grinned back and tentatively leaned forward to give Eldo a hug. Eldo returned the embrace.

“After today a lot will change,” said Nora. “Maybe you can too.”

“That would be nice,” said Eldo. As they held each other with all Bree-land stretched out behind them Eldo seemed more relaxed than he had since Nora met him.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 am

Sorry for the very abrupt stop, everyone! I had to break it off somewhere since this is already the longest installment yet. The next part will pick up right where this one left off and will have less sitting around and more action. I hope this one wasn't boring though. If Orwell is still reading then I'm sure he'll have something to say about the romance factor. That's new ground for me with writing so I'd appreciate you guys' opinions on whether or not it works. I tried to keep it believable and non-cheesy given the characters but I don't know if that's how it ended up.

In any event, thanks again for sticking DI Eldo, Sgt. Herring, and Agent Nora through thick and thin! Everything in this tale is coming to a head very soon. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:05 am

It's nice to wake up to a new chapter. Smile

I don't know why you keep stopping 'cause it's too long, I always think it is far too short. And awww to the cute couple. And by that I mean Eldo and Nora, those other two are a bit nauseating. Laughing I was reading about the excessive dusting and my daugther wondered why I was laughing. I didn't explain too much, she only 4.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Smile I try to keep each installment from getting too long so that they're easier to edit and post. This last one was over 3000 words (the story has a whole is about 19,000 words so far; the first was about 11,500). It feels a lot longer when writing it, though. Laughing

Thanks for your regular reviews and encouragement! Based on what you say the relationships seem to be coming across with the right feel for each one. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 pm

I wish I could find that secret passage when I am travelling over from Bree, the roads a bit scary and deserted at the moment, I think those Rangers are on their hols, nearly got snagged by a Wight the other night, but I stuffed a carrot up his nose and managed to leg it here. phew! pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Oooo, how could I forget!?! Thumbs up for Randi!! cheers

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Coo! poor old Bree land is a bit cold and empty at the moment, everybody seems to have disappeared, I hope its not that wretched cat up to its tricks again. Anyway Romance is in the air, it must be Spring in Forumshire. yay! I want to know if DI Eldo and Agent Nora become an item. and Bree Does have more hills than the Shire, its funny that. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:29 pm

oh, just realized I haven't replied! Well.. I like it!I wonder what all this is going to end Wink But I want more dramaaaa!! Very Happy I wanna have a nasty agrument with Eldo and Ringo.. I mean, I wanna know why Ringo doesn't approve of it.. is there something more than him just not trusting Agent Nora?? You keep up the good work Eldo!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Thank you for the encouragement everyone. Very Happy I hope the conclusion of the romance and the ending satisfies everyone. I'm sorry I haven't updated lately; my brother came home this weekend (he's usually at school all the time) so I've been hanging out with him for most of the past few days. I will make an effort to update soon: there's only one or two more parts left before the current story is over. It will lead directly into the third story, however, and that one will have more of a resolution.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Exciiiiiiiiting!! I'm glad there is still more to come! Nod

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Yes me too cheers There is something very charming about the tale, I like its atmosphere and I always want to know what happens next.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:28 pm

cheers more mysteryyyy!!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm

I agree Mrs. Figg! And I also love the distinctness of all the characters! (Eventhough there is some outside influence.... Wink ) They're so specificly unique, no one is just a filler character, everybody is an integral part of the story. I expect a novel sometime soon Eldo! Nod {{{{{{{{{[[[[ And a cameo Mad ]]]]]]}}}}}}} Have a glass on me Elds drunken It's presidentz day, sooooo I gueesss u kindo count as one, sooo drunken HOORAY!!! cheers drunken

The Needlehole Mysteries - Page 11 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next