Ally
Ringdrotten
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Retrieving old posts Empty Retrieving old posts

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm sure we all miss our thousands of posts from the old THM, so we have a few options for what to do.

1. Ask Taz to provide us with the raw data, though he had to hire a developer to make the transition and I'm not sure I could do it myself.
  2. Copy and paste all the posts from specific threads we like. The inestimable Petty has, I believe, made some headway on this already, though it would be a long-term project.
  3. re-start threads we like and maybe copy the OP but otherwise let the threads develop on their own. It might be fun to revisit old topics but on the other hand it might be dull if we already came to a conclusion.

Any other ideas or thoughts, share 'em! Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Retrieving old posts Empty Re: Retrieving old posts

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:48 pm

I say we restart some, like top movies/series (these are nice threads which you could always edit/add a post to whenever your favourite changes) and the BBST (even if that thread, against all odds, make it to the Planet Tolkien forum, it will be way too long to copy) and perhaps copy other threads, though I have no idea which threads to copy. I'll gladly help Petty with copying threads when we decide which threads we want to keep. it will take some time but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end Smile A bit of the old county, so to speak Wink

Oh and - we'll be needing some of your spam sprees, Odo, to get things going! Very Happy

Retrieving old posts Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I'd say option three. I used to have a forumotion board when the service was first launched, and I'm pretty sure they do not let you import or export databases. So then we'd have to set the forum up somewhere else (assuming we got the database, which isn't a certainty by any means) but if we did get the database, a forum could be put up very easily on a free website host, with out any limitations.

I'd say two and three are prably the best options (and the only options if the database isn't given to us, which it praobly won't be!).

Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:03 pm

It would be a shame to lose some of our Mega-posts and best Lore-mastering posts. I suppose I'll just have to try finding them on Planet Tolkien and copy/paste. Crying or Very sad

I can always upload The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril from my WORD program though.

Hey Eldo, how about creating a sub-forum in the Other Fantasy forum for Fan Fiction, then we could contain them in one area for ease of finding.

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Gandalf's Beard wrote:It would be a shame to lose some of our Mega-posts and best Lore-mastering posts. I suppose I'll just have to try finding them on Planet Tolkien and copy/paste. Crying or Very sad

Petty has started on that. I recommend that we create an account called "Old Forum" or something that we can share and use to copy all the old threads. Petty's system involved putting the poster's name in bold followed by the text of the post, which I think is good.

I can always upload The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril from my WORD program though.

Hey Eldo, how about creating a sub-forum in the Other Fantasy forum for Fan Fiction, then we could contain them in one area for ease of finding

Done. Wink I upped the avatar size to 200x200 as you requested. Also, if anyone cares, we should have a gallery of avatars (including LOTR ones) that you can pick from, courtesy of the good people at Forumotion. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh, sweet Jesus, the gallery is ACE Very Happy MacGyver cheers

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:25 pm

ENGLISH MOTHER DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Last edited by Eldorion on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Erm...Eldo...there's no auto censor here, so perhaps we should stick to substituted words (Freakin', Frakking, Effing) or partially censor as in M*****F*****. I think people will get what we are saying then without making the forum TOO unrespectable. Wink

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Fair enough. The offending post has been edited. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Eldorion wrote:Fair enough. The offending post has been edited. Smile

You've almost got it Eldo. It should read like this: Motherf*****, just count the letters as you asterix, but leave in the first letter of the "offending" word.

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:56 pm

I know, I just thought this way would be funny given the original line. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:14 pm

I am going to have a go at restoring the Howdy from Needlehole Thread in the New Members area where it was before. For most threads if we copy and paste, its only feasible to do so for say the last two most current pages- maybe along with the the original introductory post from whoever originally started the topic.
But for Howdy (and any other beloved threads people want to do)- as i love it so much, I am going to copy the lot- it does mean however I will have an unfair post count as I will be posting everyones entries- can you reset my post count when its done Eldo?
Oh and please don't post on the Howdy thread until I get it all copied over to preserve the original flow as much as possible.
Buckie and work!

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 pm

If you worry about unfair post counts, do like Eldo said Petty: Create a new account called Old Forum, and use that to copy posts.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:44 pm

I don't think I can reset your post count, Petty. I've created the Old Forum account we discussed and I'll PM the password to you guys. If you want to leave the Needlehole thread as it is that's fine, but if all those free posts weigh on your conscience you can repost that one using the new account. Wink

If anyone else wants to help in the reposting let me know and I'll PM the password to you too. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:54 pm

I'm quite happy to have a go at something, if you have a suggestion.
Are we going to be able to log in to the old forum account at the same time or not?

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Kafria wrote:
Are we going to be able to log in to the old forum account at the same time or not?

I think that should be possible, Kafria.

I was thinking, we should try to locate all the poems of Wise Odo and put them in one thread. Will take some time, but we don't have to do it all at once. I could do that using the Old Forum account if the rest of you agree. They're simply too good to be left behind Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:01 pm

There was a thread collecting a lot of Wiseys channelling and even some early poetry from other Banks family members. Shocked

It would be great to find it.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:16 pm

The Howdy thread is still being finished- only go the start so far but I've stopped until Eldo turns up or someone can tell me how to use the pass thing Eldo set up for posting the reposts!

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm a little unclear on how this works.

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:50 pm

The idea is for one or more of us to find a thread we like that was copied to PT (the Origin of Hobbits thread, for instance) and then copy each of the posts to a new thread on this site, along with the name of whoever posted it. See Petty's copy of the Needlehole thread in the New Memmbers forum for hoq that works.

The difference is that while Petty used his own account, we were planning to use a separate account shared by all of us to re-make the posts. I'm on my phone right now bit I will send you the PM again later.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Pettytyrant wrote:The Howdy thread is still being finished- only go the start so far but I've stopped until Eldo turns up or someone can tell me how to use the pass thing Eldo set up for posting the reposts!

Did you get the PM with the login info for the account called "Old Forum"? If so, just use that account pretty much the same as you have been, and don't forget to include the name of the person who made each post!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Petty, are we going to juse a common account or our personal accounts? I thought that was the idea but you're still using your account. Razz

BTW, did you get my PM?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 pm

I couldn't get the account to work with the pass you sent me Eldo. So I figured once I've finished moving stuff I'll make a new account with the 101 back at the end of my username and dump this profile, so I'll be starting at zero posts again-. I will change to the group one if I can get it to work! Technology makes me crabbit. Mad

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 am

Got it working! -as you can see. Dunno what i did wrong last time but hey ho!

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 am

The Howdy thread is finished and open for business!!
There's a few of the most recent posts missing- they're not quite up to date on the PT place.

Right I'm off to bed because my eyes have turned to liquid and are dribbling down my face! Shocked
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next