Wisey Banks
Pettytyrant101
Mirabella
Orwell
Lorient Avandi
15 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Shadows in the West Discussion Thread  - Page 3 Empty Re: Shadows in the West Discussion Thread

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 am

"Usually there'd be more structure in an RP thread, this feels sorta like a free RP, as in making up your own story within certain bounds."- Baingil

Thats pretty much what I am getting at. Roleplaying for me is a structured world with rules and NPC's and encounters controlled by the DM. With aims and plot developments and the like. Whereas this seems more like storytelling- which is fine but Iv'e got more than enough writing on the go to be committing to more. But a role playing game I would happily take part in- I am just not convinced yet this is one, as I am having a hard time recognising it from my own long experciences playing RPG's.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Shadows in the West Discussion Thread  - Page 3 Empty Re: Shadows in the West Discussion Thread

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:29 am

Baingil wrote:Nah, I know better than to godmode other players. Laughing Only for the title, to make it fit with the backstory.

Usually there'd be more structure in an RP thread, this feels sorta like a free RP, as in making up your own story within certain bounds. scratch
This is my first time directing one. I just went with it when everyone started to act like i was going to. When i first made the question, i wasnt expecting to be the one in charrge of it all.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:30 am

Lorient Avandi wrote:
Baingil wrote:Nah, I know better than to godmode other players. Laughing Only for the title, to make it fit with the backstory.

Usually there'd be more structure in an RP thread, this feels sorta like a free RP, as in making up your own story within certain bounds. scratch
This is my first time directing one. I just went with it when everyone started to act like i was going to. When i first made the question, i wasnt expecting to be the one in charrge of it all.
how would you direct it Baingil?
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 am

Baingil wrote:Also, Orwell does a good job RPing orcs. Maybe too good a job. Shocked

Hey! What are you getting at, wench? Suspect

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:34 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Forgive me Lorient if I am being paticularly dense, but I am struggling to see the difference between what you propose as role playing and just writing a short story set in ME and presenting it by way of small chunks. scratch

I suggest you just go with the flow. That's what I plan to do. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:34 am

"I just went with it when everyone started to act like i was going to. When i first made the question, i wasnt expecting to be the one in charrge of it all."- Lorient

Very Happy Welcome to Forumshire! Now get on with it (only joking of course- perhaps before we get to far into things we should sort out the rules and the premise. I've DM'd loads in the traditional style and am -as Odo says- here to help, if you need it on that front doing encounters or NPC's.) Oh it might also be useful to make a new user- DM or GM for posting all DM related stuff. It can be like the OLd Forum user in that it can be shared round, whoever is current DM uses it to post all reactions, NPc's stuff etc. Would make it nice an dclear when its the DM saying something and not the posters usual ID.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:36 am

Lorient Avandi wrote:how would you direct it Baingil?

I'd direct it on a smaller scale - have everyone agree on what location in Middle Earth you'd want - say, Helm's Deep - what event you want - say, a battle - and then have the RPing go from there, giving certain tasks for members to complete throughout. It could be varied, even turned into a game.
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:38 am

So if i make the account will i just DM for a while, then choose someone else to take over, then they do the same thing, etc.?
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:41 am

Baingil that sounds more recognizable to me as an RPG.

Lorient- yeah just make a new account for it and whenever its someone elses turn or you just want to pass the job on to someone else just pm the new person the log in details and they can take over.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:43 am

Baingil wrote:

I'd direct it on a smaller scale - have everyone agree on what location in Middle Earth you'd want - say, Helm's Deep - what event you want - say, a battle - and then have the RPing go from there, giving certain tasks for members to complete throughout. It could be varied, even turned into a game.

That doesn't sound as much fun as what I'm planning... but I could do both. I'm quite flexible, and not just "pompous" - not that that is a sore point anymore, Eldo Very Happy (much Suspect)

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:45 am

Baingil wrote:

How does everyone feel about that?
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:48 am

Lorient Avandi wrote:
Baingil wrote:

How does everyone feel about that?

Maybe... Suspect I'd have to sit back and just watch for awhile, so as to get it, if you know what I mean.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:48 am

From a DM point of view what Baingil proposes is managable. It will be very complicated, not to mention time consuming to DM a game in which all the characetrs are in different locations engaged in different stories with different NPC's- remember the poor DM has to provide the framework for all these stories and every nonplayer character the players meet.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:50 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:From a DM point of view what Baingil proposes is managable. It will be very complicated, not to mention time consuming to DM a game in which all the characetrs are in different locations engaged in different stories with different NPC's- remember the poor DM has to provide the framework for all these stories and every nonplayer character the players meet.

Can't we just mind our own business until characters meet?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:52 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:From a DM point of view what Baingil proposes is managable. It will be very complicated, not to mention time consuming to DM a game in which all the characetrs are in different locations engaged in different stories with different NPC's- remember the poor DM has to provide the framework for all these stories and every nonplayer character the players meet.
Ok, then should we do it?
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:53 am

If they meet Orwell.
And someone has to decdie and work out the consequnces in the RP world of the actions of players- it can all get very complicated and time consuming very quickly without careful planning on the DM's part (at least thats true in traditional RPGing)

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:57 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:If they meet Orwell.
And someone has to decdie and work out the consequnces in the RP world of the actions of players- it can all get very complicated and time consuming very quickly without careful planning on the DM's part (at least thats true in traditional RPGing)
so then what should we do?
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:59 am

Orwell wrote:Can't we just mind our own business until characters meet?

Good thinking, even if I have to quote myself to prove a point! Rolling Eyes

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:01 am

Well if this were traditional D&D and i was DM I would plan a lot first. I would have maps of the area the game take splace in, lists of the npc inthe area and relevant background info on them and a basic one or two word hint of their demenour ie friendly/hostile/neutral. (Usually to save time with NPC I only flesh the personality out for them once a player actually encounters them). Then I would devise the genral outlineo fth eplot - no pint having a plot with begining, middle. end thats cheap DMing as you have to alow the players to create the plot without the setting, but a starting point is alwyas good- sending th eplayers off on a quest or some such, having an aim for them to achieve- like defend Helms Deep as long as you can. And work out samller sub quests which might arise out of this.
How you do this I am not so sure however!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:04 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well if this were traditional D&D and i was DM I would plan a lot first. I would have maps of the area the game take splace in, lists of the npc inthe area and relevant background info on them and a basic one or two word hint of their demenour ie friendly/hostile/neutral. (Usually to save time with NPC I only flesh the personality out for them once a player actually encounters them). Then I would devise the genral outlineo fth eplot - no pint having a plot with begining, middle. end thats cheap DMing as you have to alow the players to create the plot without the setting, but a starting point is alwyas good- sending th eplayers off on a quest or some such, having an aim for them to achieve- like defend Helms Deep as long as you can. And work out samller sub quests which might arise out of this.

We could, also, keep it simple. Have you read Lorient's and mine starting "bits", Petty? Try that. We can do all this quibbling later, can't we?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:06 am

Yes I read them- and with my DM's hat on I can see all sorts of complications arising just from those in terms of long term DMing the stories. Nevermind once everyone who wants to play has got theirs too.
When it becomes hideously complicated and time consuming and nigh on impossible to DM or organise dont come runnning to me! Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:09 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well if this were traditional D&D and i was DM I would plan a lot first. I would have maps of the area the game take splace in, lists of the npc inthe area and relevant background info on them and a basic one or two word hint of their demenour ie friendly/hostile/neutral. (Usually to save time with NPC I only flesh the personality out for them once a player actually encounters them). Then I would devise the genral outlineo fth eplot - no pint having a plot with begining, middle. end thats cheap DMing as you have to alow the players to create the plot without the setting, but a starting point is alwyas good- sending th eplayers off on a quest or some such, having an aim for them to achieve- like defend Helms Deep as long as you can. And work out samller sub quests which might arise out of this.
I think we should just stick to what we are doing for now. we cant meet in person tto do it d&d style and none of us can figure out the best way to do it in a thread, so why dont we just stick to what weve been doing.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:10 am

maybe create a more serious one later
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:11 am

ummm, can I be a ghost of myself that's attached to a living being???? Ooooo! That wouuld be really cool! And I'm completely new to all this, so give me some slack

Shadows in the West Discussion Thread  - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:13 am

No objections from me- but it does put me back to not seeing how it otherwise can work without structure. So I shall step back and merely observe for now till I see if a structure emerges in the playing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next