Wisey Banks
Pettytyrant101
Mirabella
Orwell
Lorient Avandi
15 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Shadows in the West Discussion Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Shadows in the West Discussion Thread

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:11 am

Baingil wrote:Hmm... since we aren't doing a Hobbit RP that leaves out Mirkwood for the most part! My usual character doesn't fit... hmm.

Why not? I believe janesmith was contemplating being an elvish maiden, but she's been a bit too polite to ask, she PM'd me to seek my advice. Mmm... Certain people seem to be using me as their Mentor at the moment... (amazing really - others think I'm pompous! Mad )

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Shadows in the West Discussion Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Shadows in the West Discussion Thread

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:11 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Legolas was from Mirkwood he seemed to fit. Sure you could think up a reason why your character needs to leave the woods.

Couldn't they just go and fight against Dol Guldur?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:13 am

Lorient Avandi wrote:I think that we can make minor changes to things that dont really affect the main storyline. I.e.: Citadel guards can serve in the regular military, uruks in moria, survivors of osgililiath, etc.

I don't have my books handy, but I don't think that any of those would actually be changes from the book-lore. The book states that Guards could not leave their posts without orders, but I don't think it's stated or implied that they would never be ordered to fight. Some were held back to protect the citadel itself (like Beregond) but I don't think all would be. It's implied that some of the larger orcs in Moria are Uruks, and I'm pretty sure that there are survivors from the retreat from Osgiliath in the books. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:16 am

Baingil wrote:Hmm... since we aren't doing a Hobbit RP that leaves out Mirkwood for the most part! My usual character doesn't fit... hmm.
You can do your character. I already wrote in that Dol Guldur is going to hit Thranduil.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:17 am

Just a general question: everyone's characters seem to be from different parts of Middle-earth and they all seem to have their own stories being fleshed out. What is the overarching story that unites everyone and provides structure to the game?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:19 am

ermm... quick question before I get some sleep. Would being a hobbit, staying home in the shire and documenting the changes seen there fit in? Or do I need to be some where I can 'interact' with the story?

and what am I trying to achieve? DO I just write me own bit of story or am I trying to get somewhere or do something (like find you all and defeat you in highly skilled riddle battles? Laughing )

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 am

"in the book was also only recently lost, by Faramir."- Lorient

I should have been clearer here. I was thinkin gof the speech Boromir gives in Osgiliath and the wordso fDenethor in the following scene in which it is stated that Faramir let the enemy just walk in and take it on a whim. When in fact the incident in question was when the Black Riders came forth and the attack was to disguise their purpose by making it look like part of the war staretgy- and Bormoir was in fact in charge that day as he reports at the Council. There is also some vagueness in the films for those who have never read the books over whether Denethor is implying Faramir lost an inhabted city or a long lost one that was just an outpost.

I too Kafria would like a bit more clarity on how this works. Is it a game in the tradtional sense? Are their goals of any kind set? Can you 'level up'?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 am

Eldo,
Dunno yet, well figure that out as we go along. lets let everyone get their characters established and begin writing their stories.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:26 am

As I still don't really get how this works I shall delay starting off on my own quest until those of you who are knowledgable have been going a few turns (are there turns in the D&D sense?!!!) and I can begin to see how it is done.
I feel totally lost with the premise at the mo. A buckie or ten and some observation should hopefully shed some light on matters.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
I too Kafria would like a bit more clarity on how this works. Is it a game in the tradtional sense? Are their goals of any kind set? Can you 'level up'?
It is a game in the sense that you will be reacting to what the DM and other players write. i still havent worked out how player vs player encouters and fights will work. The DM might just have to PM the particapants and tell them which side wins and who dies, and the players will write the next part of their story accordingly.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 am

"which side wins and who dies, and the players will write the next part of their story accordingly"- Lorient.

Or at least one of them will! (excluding elves- talking of which do they get infinite goes in a Tolkien based role playing game?)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:35 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:"which side wins and who dies, and the players will write the next part of their story accordingly"- Lorient.

Or at least one of them will! (excluding elves- talking of which do they get infinite goes in a Tolkien based role playing game?)
We're going to go the movie way on that. If an elf dies, they're dead.
i havent read it yet but do elves retain their memories after they "die"
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 am

Lorient Avandi wrote:
You can do your character. I already wrote in that Dol Guldur is going to hit Thranduil.

Nice! I'll try to get a post in at some point soon, can't promise when.

Last edited by Baingil on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 am

Yes. They go to the Undying Lands, not entirely clear in what fashion, presumable something ethreal, but they can get a new body and return if they choose I think- Eldo or Elthir will have the details I am sure. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:52 am

So long as we stay within parameters set down by the book - and at about the "Tom Bombadil" timing (to begin) - can't we just do our own thing and meet up when (and if) we do?

Lorient, I like you're start. It is going to be a long holding fight first, isn't it? You know, give time for Frodo to reach Faramir in the normal story arc?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:01 am

Orwell wrote:
Lorient, I like you're start. It is going to be a long holding fight first, isn't it? You know, give time for Frodo to reach Faramir in the normal story arc?
Yea, nothings going to get overrun quite yet.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:03 am

If you dont want to start then thats fine. just be sure to mention when you do start. I dont remember dates so it would be better if you just mention what the fellowship is doing. i just thought it would be good to give us plenty of time to play with before the ring gets destroyed.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:06 am

On the subject of encounters do you provide them Lorient? My character is heading on a long march north- do you provide random encounters? Or do I just write one in if I feel like it? And same question goes for NPC's.
I want to start Lorient- I just like to know what I am doing before I do and right now I don't get the mechanics of it yet.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:08 am

Filled out the character sheet, with my good old stand-by Baingil Randir. Very Happy Not Chief Guard of Mirkwood, though with permission I'd make her that; it would fit better with what I've RPed elsewhere, but that's just me being picky. Wink
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:13 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:On the subject of encounters do you provide them Lorient? My character is heading on a long march north- do you provide random encounters? Or do I just write one in if I feel like it? And same question goes for NPC's.
I want to start Lorient- I just like to know what I am doing before I do and right now I don't get the mechanics of it yet.
As of right now you will be doing most of it. You will right mostly about your own encounters unless they are with another player. this might change as we get further in, and if it does i will notify you. for right now, when im DMing, i will just write about what is going on in Middle-Earth as a whole. i might throw something random your way once in a while or control the NPCs in one of you encounters, but that wont happen very often. Im just going to let everyone flesh out their characters and get into the flow of things before making it more complicated on myself and other players.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:15 am

Also, Orwell does a good job RPing orcs. Maybe too good a job. Shocked
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:19 am

Baingil wrote:Filled out the character sheet, with my good old stand-by Baingil Randir. Very Happy Not Chief Guard of Mirkwood, though with permission I'd make her that; it would fit better with what I've RPed elsewhere, but that's just me being picky. Wink
if it is just for the title, then its ok. But if you bstart using the power to order troops to make things go to your advantage, especially over other players, then i will engineer some way to have Thranduil demote you.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:19 am

Forgive me Lorient if I am being paticularly dense, but I am struggling to see the difference between what you propose as role playing and just writing a short story set in ME and presenting it by way of small chunks. scratch

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:24 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Forgive me Lorient if I am being paticularly dense, but I am struggling to see the difference between what you propose as role playing and just writing a short story set in ME and presenting it by way of small chunks. scratch
Are you refering to how i wrote mine in third-person? if so, thats just how i prefer to do it. you can write first-person if you want.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:25 am

Nah, I know better than to godmode other players. Laughing Only for the title, to make it fit with the backstory.

Usually there'd be more structure in an RP thread, this feels sorta like a free RP, as in making up your own story within certain bounds. scratch
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next