Television programmes [2]

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Television programmes [2] - Page 9 Empty Re: Television programmes [2]

Post by Mrs Figg on Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:19 pm

cool thanks I will try that.

I am currently reading all the John Buchan books, lots of derring-do and adventures. Its great stuff. I read the 39 Steps and now Greenmantle. Considering they were written 100 years ago in 1915 or there abouts and the language is slightly old fashioned they are still classics of adventure.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:51 am

{{ Lovecraft is a massive inspiration on so many diverse works these days itd be impossible to list them, but to give an idea in film, not including direct adaptations of his books we have Alien, The Thing, Event Horizon, The Mist, The Cabin in the Wood, Evil Dead, True Detective and a ton of others. There also a pile of videogames that are Lovecraft inspired, from Dark Souls to The Sunken City and literally hundreds of books which either use Lovecraft, expand on his mythos, or pay tribute to his ideas.
And of course Doctor Who has dipped its toes into Lovecraftian terroritory a few times, especially in classic-

Television programmes [2] - Page 9 Doctor-who-the-curse-of-fenric-creature-monstr-review

Television programmes [2] - Page 9 Seedsofdoom-krynoid-ravaging-house

Television programmes [2] - Page 9 Vlcsnap-2012-11-24-10h39m32s225

He's one of the most used authors in terms of inspiring new works to this day.

He did however have some views of his time (late 1800's) that would not be shared today, though in fairness to him he was capable of change and the views he held were not at all uncommon for that period. For example he is often said to be an anti-semitic due to things he said about Jews in his younger days, this is often cast up against him, ignoring the fact he not only changed his views in later life and had jewish friends, he had a jewish wife too. He was certianly racist towards blacks in his younger years too, and some of that sadly makes it way into his work with ugly unflattering descriptions of 'negroids', and Lovecrafts belief whites were naturally superior, but when in later life science started to disprove this he went with the facts,  believing instead that cultures could be superior, regardless of the colour of the people whose culture it was. But again folk only cast up the racist comments he made in his life, not his introspection on them later in life. And to top it all off he had a horrible hard life for a lot of it, his views were not born in a void but in the circumstances of his upbringing and of their time. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:20 pm

Bit like Buchan then, I have been reading some pretty off descriptions of Black people, the lead character Richard Hannay is supposed to have been working as a mining engineer in South Africa and while his descriptions of the Highveld is atmospheric, he uses the N word a couple of times. This is obviously written shortly after the Boer War and it is just a different world. In 1915 there was no racial equality and hardly any sexual equality either.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:21 pm

{{ I havent read Buchanan since school, the 39 Steps was on the prescribed reading list for english. Seem to remember it had a very unique atmosphere and flavour. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:13 pm

yes it is a real page turner, really exciting. I have always loved the various film adaptations as well, and I must say that the Robert Powell version seems to be the most similar to the book, but all of them are different from the book in that the book doesn't have any female characters. Its a boys own adventure and Greenmantle is also incredibly adventurous. It really grabs you, the dangerous travels through First World War landscapes, spies and adventure.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:00 am

{{ Now Figg, easy there, you know fine well in the modern world as a modern woman you are simply not allowed to enjoy or speak well of a book thats doesnt have full female representation throughout! Writing a story with no women in it, he may as well be out sexually assualting them the msyoginist! }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:33 pm

Rolling Eyes Laughing well there is one female character in Greenmantle but she is a baddie Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:43 pm

{{ Ah a true to life tale then! Twisted Evil }}

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:24 am

No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:55 am

This Buchanan sounds quite interesting!

I'm reading Susanna Clarke's* new novel, Piranesi. It's about this character who lives in an endless house made up of giant halls peopled with statues. The sun and moon and stars shine down through cracks in the upper halls, when cloud-wrack and fog aren't obscuring them, and a tidal sea ebbs and surges through the lower halls. I'm a third of the way through it, and the only other living person in this world, "The Other", seems to be gaslighting the main character into doubting their own memory. It is rather dastardly of him.

*author of Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell.

and a thousand tongues had told
that I would sink to these ways
that I would fall on these days--
the days I have fallen on
the ways I have sunk into.

-Instructions and a Warning, The Kalevala
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Got to say that the second season of His Dark Materials is much better than the first. I am really enjoying The Subtle Knife.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:41 am

Ah so the show is breaking it down into a season per book? I read them of course, way back when, but I've only seen the first episode of this new show.

I did watch some actual tv recently, actually. It was on Hulu, but it's this show called The First, with Sean Penn. The season dragged a bit with family drama and too much backstory for a story about astronauts working towards a manned mission to Mars, but overall I thought it had enough sincerity and quality to make it. Apparently the execs didn't, however, as they cancelled it after the first season: a fact I did not discover until I had made it all the way through to the last episode. The show had finally left earth behind--it's pace tense and exciting again--and that's it. Blammo. Lame.

Shrugging

(The pilot is watchable on its own though: best episode of the season. I recommend it!)

and a thousand tongues had told
that I would sink to these ways
that I would fall on these days--
the days I have fallen on
the ways I have sunk into.

-Instructions and a Warning, The Kalevala
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:24 pm

I hate it when they do that. Suspect  cancel a show just as you are getting into it.  They did that with Sanditon and there was a backlash from the fans. ladies with bustles can be a bit violent. Smile
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 pm

The Expanse as well will continue for two (one unfilmed) more seasons. A very interesting sci-fi story, grounded in science (and fiction) and a fictional future. They are up to about book 5 of 9 in the next (already filmed) season, I think. And after being a slow burn for the first few seasons (and being cancelled by Sci-fi and picked up by Amazon), it was just starting to get really good. Shame it won't play out until the end of the story (last book coming out in the spring).

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I hate it when they do that. Suspect  cancel a show just as you are getting into it.  They did that with Sanditon and there was a backlash from the fans. ladies with bustles can be a bit violent. Smile

Television programmes [2] - Page 9 Tenor

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:34 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:52 pm

btw Blue, are you on some kind of break? You disappear for a long time then come in on short bursts and disappear again. Just when we've lost hope...you're back!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9