Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Forest Shepherd
azriel
14 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 29 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by halfwise Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:10 pm

I don't do the kind of work that allows my mind to be at all diverted. And when I want to be diverted, it's multimedia. When I'm on the occasional long drive I may put on a podcast, but otherwise the pure audio stuff isn't for me.

If I can figure out how to get this on podcast or perhaps just run it off the website from my phone, I may look at these for the long drives. Some interesting stuff there.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 29 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by azriel Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:07 pm

This Is A 392-Year-Old Greenland Shark That Was Recently Discovered In The Arctic Ocean. He's Been Wandering The Ocean Since The Early 1600s!

Just...................whatever - Page 29 400_ye10

This is the discussion about this idea..............

Researchers used radiocarbon dating to determine the ages of 28 of the animals, and estimated that one female was about 400 years old. 392 was the average of the 28 sharks.And while they are the same species it had nothing to do with the image being used here. The sharks dated had all died after being caught in fishing nets. This shark was photographed during a different study.since most carbon in a living animal is replaced as it lives, scientists did not think they could use radiocarbon dating. Once they discovered that there are proteins in the eyes of sharks that are not replaced, they realized they could use those proteins to determine age. The dating is still not very precise, but they have discovered that these sharks probably live longer than people thought.

This could be correct ? Ive heard of other creatures living longer than was first thought, who knows ? There is still so much we dont know, yet.

Just...................whatever - Page 29 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever - Page 29 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:26 pm

If you live that long it must help to be dimwitted. I'd think boredom would catch up to you.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:23 pm

That literally boggles my mind. Think of what has happened to us. Its an Elizabethan shark. Shocked seriously wow!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:40 am

halfwise wrote:If you live that long it must help to be dimwitted.  I'd think boredom would catch up to you.

Haven't you heard? That's why sharks always have to keep swimming. Laughing

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:24 pm

New lands and constant exercise keep you young forever. That should be my retirement strategy.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:19 pm

Found a new London tour guide dude. I love his channel.  Razz

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:01 am

He definitely knows his stuff and it rolls right off his tongue like gossip.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:25 am

{{ yeah his stuff is really fun, he did a recent one on songs from London with place names in them, so they went along to the actual places, complete with piano and sung each one on location along with giving the history of it. Was mainly Music Hall stuff, but very entertaining. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:45 am

I'll have to look that one up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:47 am

{{ Should be his latest vid Halfy, just go to his channel and will be right there. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:20 pm

Pip Pip Tally Ho! Very Happy His videos have lightened my mood during the pandemic, he has really sincerely helped my state of mind. I think I must have watched nearly all of his vids.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:25 pm

{{ First Londoner Ive seen that is a decent human being, I hated London when I visited, unfriendly miserable bunch of bastards. Only nice people I met there were all immigrants, they were excellent. The natives we met? sour faced arseholes. Mad I very nearly punched one bus driver square in the kisser for being such a rude obnoxious git.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:40 pm

Most cockneys I have met were ok, I used to work in Bermondsey near Tower Bridge, I found them perfectly friendly in a cool way, but there was a real hostile atmosphere in places like Camden where I once did a paper conservation course. I was sexually abused on a bus by a Black dude, and I once asked another young Black kid some directions when I was lost. I have never experienced true deadly hatred until I looked into his eyes. He looked at me like a cold blooded murderer would. I was astounded and just nervously smiled and did the English thing of saying "sorry" and legged it into a shop. I never went back to Camden.
I have lived in many places in the UK, London, Kingston On Thames, Oxford, Newcastle, Manchester, York, Scarborough, Leeds. The change in personality and outlook is quite astounding from South to North. The Geordies were friendly when I lived in Newcastle, but the people in Yorkshire are some of the most friendly I have met, apart from Mancunians who top the lot. The people of Yorkshire well you can talk to anyone and they will give you the time of day and a friendly smile. Its easy and pleasant and making friends is easier the more North you go, in Oxford it was ok to make friends, but in London forget it, its a lonely place.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:28 pm

{{ When it comes to cities Im most used to Glasgow, and you cant wait on a bus or sit in a cafe there without someone coming up to you and starting a conversation. I used to love it, when I finished my shift doing carework I used to go to a cafe next to the subway station just for that- sit down with a cuppa and give it a minute or two and some old Glasgow biddy would park down and give you her life story. You hear some great tales that way. London was exact opposite, I wouldnt willingly go back there I found it so negative an atmosphere.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:10 pm

yep, London can be a hostile and lonely place, in certain areas or villages I suppose it could be relatively ok, but I found Londoners cold, uninterested and snobby. My accent didn't help. I found myself judged, nothing overt but you could tell they were being snobs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:58 pm

{{ Being Scottish has its advantages there. With the bus driver we were just wanting to ask him directions to the bus station. I was with my Italian partner at the time, her sister and the sisters boyfriend. And Id been content to let him do the asking, but the driver was super rude, and then got on his phone while being asked, ignored the boyfriend, then said to the person on the phone he was dealing with 'fucking foreigners', at which point I stepped out the shadows, put on my most menacing Glasgow accent and said, "Scottish actually pal" at which point his face fell, he retreated onto his bus and shut and locked the door! Laughing }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:59 pm

the French say the same about Paris. Though some say similar things about New York people usually discover there's no snobbishness, just people in a rush. If you bump into a New Yorker who's NOT rushing off somewhere you'll get treated plenty friendly.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:32 pm

{{ I'd agree with Figg about England from my experiences there, its quite odd really. London- miserable bunch who dont have time of day for human pleasantries. Midlands, friendly but bit stand offish and somewhat suspicious of folk not from the Midlands, north of England, very like Glasgow, maybe not quite as willing to open dialogue with a complete stranger as Glasgow folk are, but generally friendly and helpful if asked, take an obvious pride in their roots and happy to talk about their home town. Further south you are worse it gets, further north ever more friendly. There are of course exceptions, we have two here in Forumshire in Lance and Azriel of course. But as a general thing it seems to hold true in my experience of England.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:38 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Being Scottish has its advantages there. With the bus driver we were just wanting to ask him directions to the bus station. I was with my Italian partner at the time, her sister and the sisters boyfriend. And Id been content to let him do the asking, but the driver was super rude, and then got on his phone while being asked, ignored the boyfriend, then said to the person on the phone he was dealing with 'fucking foreigners', at which point I stepped out the shadows, put on my most menacing Glasgow accent and said, "Scottish actually pal" at which point his face fell, he retreated onto his bus and shut and locked the door!  Laughing  }}

OOOOOOh! I would have loved to have seen the crabbit unleashed Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:44 pm

halfwise wrote:the French say the same about Paris.  Though some say similar things about New York people usually discover there's no snobbishness, just people in a rush.  If you bump into a New Yorker who's NOT rushing off somewhere you'll get treated plenty friendly.

I once had a student friend from New York and she tried to explain the rushing/pushing past/bumping thing. She said that she had a stock set of verbal putdowns ready for use in various 'bumping into people' situations after years of experience, and that she went into aggressive combat NY mode as soon as back home. I seem to remember something about the words "hey buddy!.....something insulting.......stick it where the sun don't shine...something insulting....." being used. But sarcastically, really sarcastically. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:48 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ I'd agree with Figg about England from my experiences there, its quite odd really. London- miserable bunch who dont have time of day for human pleasantries. Midlands, friendly but bit stand offish and somewhat suspicious of folk not from the Midlands, north of England, very like Glasgow, maybe not quite as willing to open dialogue with a complete stranger as Glasgow folk are, but generally friendly and helpful if asked, take an obvious pride in their roots and happy to talk about their home town. Further south you are worse it gets, further north ever more friendly. There are of course exceptions, we have two here in Forumshire in Lance and Azriel of course. But as a general thing it seems to hold true in my experience of England.}}

yep further South worse it gets, I have heard Cornish are the very worst. Almost mediaeval. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:56 pm

I once had a student friend from New York and she tried to explain the rushing/pushing past/bumping thing. She said that she had a stock set of verbal putdowns ready for use in various 'bumping into people' situations after years of experience, and that she went into aggressive combat NY mode as soon as back home. I seem to remember something about the words "hey buddy!.....something insulting.......stick it where the sun don't shine...something insulting....." being used. But sarcastically, really sarcastically. Laughing

That's mainly among the native New Yorkers, especially the ethnic population.  You just take it, maybe sling it back, but nobody takes it personally.  And it's not so common these days - a lot of the local color has seeped out of NYC over the years.

Last edited by halfwise on Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:16 pm

yep she was a native New Yorker had the accent and everything. loved it when she said " I need a 'corfee'. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:51 pm

"How long I got to wait here for my cohfee?"
"Eh! can' yu see we're busy 'round heah?"
"Jus tryin' to give you lugs some money..."
"Whateveh. You wan som milk wit dat cohfee?"
" Milk?  Fuhgetaboutit. Jus shuga."
"Yeah, somebody could use some sweetness."
"Stick it in your ear...keep the change."
"See ya tomorrah, sweetheart."
"Same to you, jackass."

But the influx of out of towners has whittled away the street poetry.

Last edited by halfwise on Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum