Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Forest Shepherd
azriel
14 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:07 am

{{ Random thought spurred by reading a comment someone made about fixing their computer. it struck me as an excelent example of how language usuage can change in such a short time frame, easily within a lifetime.

The sentence was at the end after the person had explained how they solved their pc problem and read- "I booted up the pc and thirty seconds later I was in windows.'

Now every single word in that sentence was in general usage 40 years ago, but 40 years ago the sentence is utterly nonsensical. For a brit a pc was a police constable, so the sentence seems to say the person kicked a police officer, the second half is complete gibberish though as unless in the abstract of a reflection you cant physically be 'in' a window, and it appears to have no subject releationship to the opening of the sentence.
So in the space of just 40 years all the non-conjunctive words in this sentence have gained an entirely new, unforseen meaning! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Laughing

Pretty good example.  I can't compete but I remember when somebody had posted once about how useful 'cold fusion' was, and being a physics student at the time that concept bubbled up I laid into how ridiculous it was for people from outside a field to come barrelling in claiming to have discovered something new, and it gets all blown out of proportion in the press.  Then it was pointed out they were talking about a programming language, not energy conversion.

but of course the grand-daddy of the change in language is the famous Girlfriend 2.0:

http://www.jimpoz.com/jokes/girlfriend2.0.html

I've seen some version where Girlfriend 3.2 spawned a child process that constantly requests upgrade to wife 1.0, but not seeing it.  Must have been in comments somewhere.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:01 pm

Just had a binge session of UK telly. Bloody hell, I don't recognise my own species let alone my own country. Zapped through a few of these so-called 'funny' entertainment shows where once there was wit and humour now people seem to be reduced to opening their mouths to the widest extent and just laughing loudly at words. Talking of the shows like Taskmaster and Steph's Packed Lunch. Then there are the 'celebrity' shows like TOWIE, made in Chelsea and all that stuff, the very worst is Ru-Paul's Drag Race where truly nasty objects fight for who is the biggest b****. I don't recognise my own species. Shocked Then the fuqing tv adverts, are they taking the piss or what. I am looking forward to seeing BAME Meercats. ffs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:29 pm

the world could certainly do with more meerkats.

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Meerka10

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Meerka11

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Meerka12

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:07 pm

they are very cute Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 pm

Don't know about anyone else here but I am struggling. It seems like forever until I can get the jab. We are going into a red zone and its all pretty bad.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:56 pm

Thought this would be in the panic thread. I was signed up to get it, then a big honking snow storm hit and it was cancelled. haven't signed up again but will try soon. Honestly though, I'd rather wait for the Johnson and Johnson one, which doesn't require a second dose.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:59 am

Ive had my jab & have to wait 12 weeks till the 2nd one. It seems to be going well here in the uk ? Walked the dog this morning & my friend told me of "Her Maj" giving out a speech encouraging one & all to get the jab. I didnt even know the Queen was actually going to say anything ? Its been very quiet on the Royal side & I havent watched or heard the news in yonks ! Tho we are getting bombarded by poor hard done by Megan & Harry. They apparently gave up their baubles & are going all modern --- until Oprah chips in & the gentle waft on the breeze of a few million pounds drift by.

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:42 pm

{{ NIce one Az, assuming Im still on dole it'll be mid-April for me I think or thereabouts for folk in theior 40's, but job interview end of next week which if I get it means back to Care Work, so no doubt theyll be keen to jab me before I start! }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Best wishes Petty !! fingers crossed all goes well for you ! sunny

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Meet Madam Jeanne Louise Calment, who had the longest confirmed human lifespan: 122 years, 164 days. Apparently, fate strongly approved of the way she lived her life. She was born in Arles, France, on February 21, 1875. The Eiffel Tower was built when she was 14 years old. It was at this time she met Vincent van Gogh. "He was dirty, badly dressed, and disagreeable," she recalled in an interview given in 1988.

When she was 85, she took up fencing, and still rode her bike when she reached 100. At the age of 114, she starred in a film about her life, at age 115 she had an operation on her hip, and at age 117 she gave up smoking, having started at the age of 21 in 1896. She didn't give it up for health reasons; her reason was that she didn't like having to ask someone to help her light a cigarette once she was nearly blind.

In 1965, Jeanne was 90 years old and had no heirs. She signed a deal to sell her apartment to a 47-year-old lawyer called André-François Raffray. He agreed to pay her a monthly sum of 2,500 francs on the condition he would inherit her apartment after she died. However, Raffray not only ended up paying Jeanne for 30 years, but then died before she did at the age of 77. His widow was legally obliged to continue paying Madam Calment until the end of her days.

Jeanne retained sharp mental faculties. When she was asked on her 120th birthday what kind of future she expected to have. Her reply, "A very short one."

Here are the Rules of Life from Jeanne Louise Calment:

"I'm in love with wine."
"All babies are beautiful."
"I think I will die of laughter."
"I've been forgotten by our Good Lord."
"I've got only one wrinkle, and I'm sitting on it."
"I never wear mascara; I laugh until I cry often."
"If you can't change something, don't worry about it."
"Always keep your smile. That's how I explain my long life."
"I see badly, I hear badly, and I feel bad, but everything's fine."
"I have a huge desire to live and a big appetite, especially for sweets."
"I have legs of iron, but to tell you the truth, they're starting to rust and buckle a bit."
"I took pleasure when I could. I acted clearly and morally and without regret. I'm very lucky."
“Being young is a state of mind, it doesn’t depend on one’s body. I’m actually still a young girl, it's just that I haven't looked so good for the past 70 years."

At the end of one interview, the journalist said, "Madame, I hope we will meet again sometime next year." To which Jeanne replied, "Why not? You're not that old; you'll still be here!”

The image with the wings is a piece of art by
L. Lichtenfells

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Old_la10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:04 pm

How sweet.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:05 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ NIce one Az, assuming Im still on dole it'll be mid-April for me I think or thereabouts for folk in theior 40's, but job interview end of next week which if I get it means back to Care Work, so no doubt theyll be keen to jab me before I start! }}

Just seen this. Hope all went well!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pm

{{ Az - love stories like that. Met many an fiesty old lady of that mould in my work.

Lance- thanks. Seemed to go well, Ill find out this week one way or another. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:21 pm

I remember a conspiracy video I watched about that Frenchwoman that posited that she may have assumed the identity of her mother. It was quite interesting!

My girlfriend had the first shot of one of the vaccinations. That's it though in my family, not that they care anyway.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Too far out in the boonies to worry about it? There's validity to that.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Boonies ? I like that word Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Never heard it? it's derived from "out in the boondocks".

I always thought it referred to a plant that grew out in the country (maybe burdock) but now I just looked it up and found that it comes from a Philipino word for mountain - as in most country folk live up in the mountains.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Too far out in the boonies to worry about it? There's validity to that.- Halfy

{{In similar situation to ponder. My bit of Scotland has lowest cases of anywhere in mainland Scotland, and probably the UK (3 in last week and they were at the other end of the consitutency in Helensburgh 52 miles of rural nothing away). Which means if they offer me the astrazeneca vaccine are the potential blood clot risks from it greater than the risk of contracting the virus here in first place? Definently something I have to consider.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:07 pm

They are saying the blood clot thing is just the same as if in general public without the vaccine, so I wouldn't worry about it. its definitely better to have the jab.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:04 am

Better to get it than not, I think the consideration is how much effort you have to put forth to get it.

But small towns that get hit are often hit hard, for just the reason that the people think they've got nothing to worry about so don't take precautions.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:58 pm

Google 'Mount Nemrut Turkey'. its freaking me out. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:29 pm

{{ Yup, them the Olmecs and the Easter Island lot, really, really  liked big ole faces! Very Happy }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:39 pm

None of the pictures has someone standing beside for comparison.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:53 pm

Just...................whatever - Page 15 Ancien10

Will this help ? Mount Rushmore gets me. Imagine doing all that chiselling, you stand back & see one ear is bigger than the other or one eye is Smile or a nostril is tiny & the other is huge Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum