Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Forest Shepherd
azriel
14 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 12 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:58 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Reading the guardian I saw some iconic bookshops have being asking for online custom because they are struggling so I bought a book from Shakespeare and Company in Paris and am currently looking to buy something from The Strand Bookstore in New York. These guys in Paris have been open since the 1900s. I hate to see bookshops in trouble.

Amazon is crushing them. There really is nothing that compares to spending part of an afternoon in a bookstore, finding hidden treasures. Even the streetside booksellers who lay out their wares on folding tables are a gem - I remember a couple of them looking over my selections fondly with the bittersweet feeling of giving away puppies to a good home. These people really care about books.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 12 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:14 pm

Do you know The Strand Bookstore Halfy?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:52 pm

yes, pretty large used book store. Passionate young people clerking the place. If you want passionate old people, go to Argosy bookstore, where you can find them restoring books of maps that you read about in history.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:02 pm

wherever I travel to the first thing I do is find book shops, I love em.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:39 pm

{{ Few things I learned watching a Lucy Worsley documentary that I didnt know.

The title Chairman of the Board comes not from business as such but from medieval farmhouses, which were large and usually had many of the farm workers living in the same large building as the farmer and family. The main large room was communial but divided by status in half, there would be a large 'table' at one end exclusively for the owner, it was constructed from a huge long board of wood placed on tressles, and at its centre would be a chair where the head of the farm sat to eat with is family, making him the Chairman of the Board.

Halls in modern houses are likewise derived from a similar space in old buidlings, they were the first thing you entered upon going in and were in fact hall sized, not hallways as they tend to be in modern houses. But despite no longer being an actual hall the name stuck for the first area you enter a house.

The term for a room where you may go to sit and relax in a modern home, called several things; living room, parlour and drawing room. That last one is the original name, almost, its been shortened from Withdrawing room, as after feeding your guests thats where youd all go for conversation and entertainment, you would withdraw from the main part of the house to the withdrawing room.

I love language and how it works over time. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:49 pm

Kevin the Carrot made me cry.

Sad Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:30 pm

{{ Carved from a 40ft tree stump in Wales after a storm destroyed the tree. }}

Just...................whatever - Page 12 124956376-2843992595926155-2530879350813401770-n

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:33 pm

somewhat disturbing to come across that during a traipse through the woods, I'd think.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Its brilliant. Its like the Earth reaching up. It would be scary seeing it in the dark tho !

Just...................whatever - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:14 am

I've been listening to a History of the English Language podcast Petty. There is something delightful about uncovering the roots of a word or phrase. I always assumed that "drawing room" was a reference to an area in which fine English ladies practiced their arts.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 am

{{ You got a link to the podcast Forest? }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm

just got my new book from Shakespeare and Company in Paris, they even put a nice stamp on it. Very Happy  
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:46 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Carved from a 40ft tree stump in Wales after a storm destroyed the tree. }}

Just...................whatever - Page 12 124956376-2843992595926155-2530879350813401770-n

Oh I like that! would be a bit disconcerting to see leering out of the trees on a foggy morning though...

Reminds of something they did at the country park near me last year:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17572588.royal-victoria-country-park-unveils-new-fairy-garden-easter-weekend/

I actually volunteer at The Chapel in the country park sometimes (well, I did before the lockdown anyway) and it's worth a visit if any of you ever find yourselves in my corner of the world for some reason Nod maybe you'll get lucky and bump into the resident ghost who supposedly haunts the building affraid

https://www.hants.gov.uk/thingstodo/countryparks/rvcp/explore/chapel

https://www.visit-hampshire.co.uk/things-to-do/royal-victoria-country-park-p46473

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:17 pm

Looks a lovely place Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Just had the two jabs for flu and pneumonia. My arm hurts a bit but no other reactions. My doctor says the pnuemo jab lasts a lifetime, he also says the immuno-protection is important this year, so I advise all of you to get them done if possible in a safe environment. I actually had mine done outside his front door, it was a freezing day but the paranoia was running hot. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:35 pm

There's a lifetime vax for pneumonia? I'd think that would be required. I either haven't heard of it or possibly got it ages ago and it didn't register.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:53 pm

yep, he said it wasn't a yearly jab like the flu and it lasts a long time. It is normally given to old folk in homes or people with asthma but this year they are giving it out to everyone who asks for it because they need to reduce normal respiratory diseases as much as possible over Winter.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:39 pm

We know news voices are different. Her voice isn't as huge a difference as may be expected but the shift to "professional voice" still catches you by surprise.

https://www.tiktok.com/@msnewslady/video/6894368286264397061

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:00 pm

{{ Something similar here- we have the Scottish News accent- which is a sort of neutral scottish accent that doesnt actually exist anywhere in the country. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:40 pm

I hope Norc is ok, I was just thinking of her today. its ages since she was here.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:50 pm

wow, you're right! It was way back in May but it feels more recent than 6 months ago.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Inside the Tomb of King Seti I (KV17), is often regarded as one of the most beautiful Tombs in the Valley of the Kings. The tomb was discovered in October 1817 by Giovanni Battista Belzoni and is often called "the Tomb of Apis". Belzoni considered it the tomb of Psamtik I, but in 1828 it was recognized by Jean-François Champollion as that of Seti I. The mummy of Seti I was found in 1881 in the cache in Deir el-Bahari.

Just...................whatever - Page 12 Tomb_o10

I was not aware how colourful these tombs could be !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Looks digitally manipulated, like an increased contrast perhaps.

The podcast, Petty, is called "The History of English". https://historyofenglishpodcast.com/

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:05 am

{{ Cheers Forest Thumbs Up }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:36 pm

Yay!

Just got final confirmations for my Africa trip next October. Can't wait to get back there!!!

Also just noticed how bad the quality of my South America video is on YouTube. Checked the original footage and it was good so must have been the file type is used to upload when I was there and WiFi sucked. Redoing with the original quality video so people can actually see things!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum