We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

+11
chris63
Mirabella
odo banks
Orwell
malickfan
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
David H
azriel
halfwise
Amarië
15 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 25 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by azriel Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:56 pm

I love this guy ! Hes spot on & speaks for so many of us.

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 25 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 25 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 25 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by halfwise Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 pm

I sort of wonder what exactly the supercomputer is modelling.  Do we now have such complex models of the human body that only a super computer can handle it?  if so, that's pretty incredible.  And it bodes well for future medicine, just like weather models have become more and more accurate with observational feedback.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-symptoms-supercomputer-theory-bradykinin-storm-2020-9

Last edited by halfwise on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:34 pm

There are incredibly complex models of the human body, however the human body is substantially more complex than they can yet model.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:38 pm

The fact that the models have reached this point fascinates me.  Weather modelling took 20 years from the first attempted forecast (~1950) to the routine issuing of forecasts that had any validity, and it changed everything.  If the medical models follow the same trajectory, we are on the cusp of a whole new age in medicine... and the pace of medical advance is already staggering.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:57 pm

the next step will be tricorder thingies like in Star Trek.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:31 pm

I think there is an x-prize for that Figgy.

The key will be to really understand the body better. Since getting whatever virus I had in March it looks like it has triggered some form of ME (people seem to be calling in long-covid) which is kicking my arse regularly.

I have been trying to catch up on what is happening in that space and it seems that while there are a number of hypothesis as to what causes it, it seems like there is a very complex set of interactions going on across the body that the limited research has started to pick up.

There are all sorts of new diagnostic tools being developed to understand everything from detecting inflammation in the brain to how blood cells move through capillaries that could open up a huge amount of things for other badly understood conditions.

My point here is that the variables, particularly for both the brain and immune system, are still a mystery but will be key to a lot of modelling.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm

I'm sorry you're still suffering the after affects, Lance. I hope they tail off or a treatment is found.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 pm

I am hopeful that it goes away with time Lance, I think it is your immune system attacking itself because it is so strong, that is probably why young people are getting long covid, they have over-active strong immune systems which may be helpful in the long term as it could get rid of these effects, but I am no scientist. its just a gut feeling. I bet in a couple of months you will feel as right as rain. Like if anyone gets a virus of any description it sometimes takes a while to work through it. What is it they get in the States, Mono? that seems to be a thing with young people in places like universities. Some of my students from the American university got Mono in shed-loads, it made them weak and tired for ages. I never got it, probably too old.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 pm

probably apt at the moment. :facepalm:

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Wait, is mono specifically an American disease?

I never got it, only the hot kids seemed to get it. Kissing disease.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:15 pm

I have always wondered that... I am not sure if mono is just called something different elsewhere or if we are all immune to it.

Figgy - my current diagnosis is fibromyalgia. From the research I have been doing myself it seems that there are things in the body that can get caught in an active state with no way of getting themselves back to normal without some kind of intervention (look up the current research on the IDO1 and IDO2 DNA proteins and the metabolic trap that seem to be a common feature in ME). People get well from all of this so it is possible, just understanding what each person needs to do that is hard.

I know some people who have shaken it off in months and others who have it 30 or 40 years later.

I haven't done everything in life that I intend to do so I will get rid of this somehow and some point because I'll be damned if I am missing out on it all!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:55 pm

@ Halfy dunno if it is specifically American, in England it is called glandular fever, I have heard of that.

@ Lance get whatever treatment is available, but it looks like fibrowhatsit is also linked to a traumatic stressful life event, and getting covid is high up on that list, so it is psychological as well. If I were you I would look to have some acupuncture, that may help with some of your symptoms. It is powerful stuff, didn't you go to have some? we were talking about acupuncture a while back? cant remember who it was with.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:32 pm

I had 6 rounds of acupuncture and have stopped as not sure if it is working or if it is just a way to spend money.

ME and Fibromyalgia can both have a psychological effect (because it fucking sucks being in pain most of the time), but they are both very much biological in their nature. A lot are triggered through the immune response to a virus or something similar that can't self correct itself.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 pm

hmmm it sounds like you need to try a different acupuncturist then, are they Chinese or English? I always find English acupuncturists are shit. You need the real deal. Mine was Chinese and it nearly blew the top of my head off it was so strong. He used Moxa as well.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:38 pm

I am trying all sorts Figgy. I actually got much more relief from a full body massage so going back for that over a few sessions and see how it goes.

Also started with CBD oil as I know people that have used that in conjunction with things for pain relief and apparently has been used successfully for some Fibromyalgia patients.

Could really do with a lottery win so I dont have anything work wise to worry about and could hire a cook to make sure I eat healthily every day!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:17 pm

try to stick at the acupuncture, its not an instant fix, its a long term thing, so don't give up on it just yet. Have you tried an anti-inflammatory diet? keeping away from foods that could make you flare up, I don't know much about these things but I bet a more veggie diet helps.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 am

Hang in there Lance!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 pm

{{ Well Uk is effectively back in lockdown. Across UK pubs and clubs, restraunts have 10pm curfew, in Scotland (not sure baout England) you cant go to anyone elses house but you can meet up with people form a max of two other households outdoors. Life is scary again, but hopefully we can beat this damn thing back down again till the boffins save us with a working vaccine, hopefully early next year sometime. We got the little bugger under control once before, we can do it again! Stay safe Forumshire.

Oh and incidentally, I just realised the Doctor summed up Donald Trump long ago-

"The very stupid and the very powerful have one thing in common. They dont chage their views to fit the facts, they change the facts to fit their views."- 4th Doctor. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Very apt quote. The restriction of meeting 2 other households outdoors is not too bad, though not being allowed to have anyone to your house is pretty strong.

Over here numbers are going up as students in some places go back to school. New York has managed to keep things flat, but most places haven't. I think it's because New York city came close to the abyss of not enough hospital beds, and folks got scared and have been acting accordingly.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm

{{ Appently the evidence is showing that the main driver of the increase is households mingling. So idea is do this for a bit and break the transmission route. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:58 pm

If aerosol vs droplets is the main transmission route then outdoor ventilation is needed. I think this explains why some tropical countries have not been hit so hard - but it has to be poorer ones without air conditioning that leave windows wide all the time.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Well Uk is effectively back in lockdown. Across UK pubs and clubs, restraunts have 10pm curfew, in Scotland (not sure baout England) you cant go to anyone elses house but you can meet up with people form a max of two other households outdoors. Life is scary again, but hopefully we can beat this damn thing back down again till the boffins save us with a working vaccine, hopefully early next year sometime. We got the little bugger under control once before, we can do it again! Stay safe Forumshire.

Oh and incidentally, I just realised the Doctor summed up Donald Trump long ago-

"The very stupid and the very powerful have one thing in common. They dont chage their views to fit the facts, they change the facts to fit their views."- 4th Doctor. }}

Crying or Very sad

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:39 pm

At least Ally's here so things won't be quite so bad. Wave

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:50 pm

I've been with 'Ally' for twenty six years and I can tell you that's simply not true!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:08 am

Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next