We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

+11
chris63
Mirabella
odo banks
Orwell
malickfan
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
David H
azriel
halfwise
Amarië
15 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 23 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:54 pm

With inactivated vaccines the side effects should be mild. The bigger danger is people thinking they are protected when they aren't. Flu vaccines are often only 40% effective (though perhaps they reduce the symptoms?). Still, any reduction would be helpful.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 23 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:56 pm

That isn't entirely true.

Covid-19 is more similar to SARS for which there has never been a vaccine or treatment developed.

The coronavirus' that causes colds or flu work in different ways and you could argue whether there is a vaccine or not given hiw fast they mutate
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm

They did do research on SARS but it disappeared and so they stopped.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Which type did you fall into, Lance?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-types/symptom-tracker-app-reveals-six-distinct-types-of-covid-19-infection-idUSKCN24I1YI

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 am

My closest is 1.

Never had a fever but also no loss of smell or taste.

Lots of headaches, chest pain and tightness, fatigue and general body aches (especially where I have an old injury!). My list also includes tinnitus!!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:16 pm

I suffer from tinnitus Lance, and it sucks, but hopefully yours will ease off and disappear.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Oh that's annoying!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Figgy - I do get a bit if tinnitus for time to time but this is almost constant. It eased off before I had a bit of a relapse last week so I imagine it will disappear as my body gets more control of itself again.

Going for an acupuncture treatment of Saturday. I know a lot of people who have had it for other issues and they swear by it! On the brink of mainstream and alternative medicine now since the docs can't tell me anything useful right now.

It is amazing how little we still know about the body even though there have been so many advances over the years. How can nobody even see something going on to explain what I and hundreds of thousands of others are feeling!?!?!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:49 pm

I've seen a video of someone wide awake while surgeons cut into the stomach using nothing but acupuncture for pain control. The patient was perfectly alert and talking with the surgeons. There was a low curtain blocking her view of the operation and maybe it was faked but I don't think so. But acupuncture works if you have a trained professional doing it. I'd only trust a chinese doctor.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Acupuncture is powerful stuff, and I have first-hand experience of just how much. I once had a session where the woman said that I would feel a wee bit tired afterwards, but she said that it was totally normal as the body got rid of toxins. But Holy Crap! I slept for 3 days, (in a good way, it was relaxing), but it was odd. it was as if someone had slipped me elephant dope. I got to the carpark and started to wooze in the seat, I made it home and sunk into the duvet. 3 days later I emerged feeling great. It really helped a lot. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Well, I will let you know how it goes. Hoping that it doesn't knock me out for 3 days! I have had enough of being in bed over tha last 4 months.

Halfy - Chinese doctor to cure the "Chinese flu".... sounds like a hustle to me!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:14 pm

I don't think it will lance, it depends on what treatment you are going for. The woman I saw was a healer as well as an acupuncturist, it was mind as well as body.
But at the moment I am taking anti-depressants, I needed some drugs. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:17 pm

My daughter has the virus now. Bit of a double wammie really. She went into hospital because she couldnt breath, had xrays, bloods etc. They found out she has a heart problem & was born with it tho how it wasnt picked up by now I dont know ? She is 35 afterall & been in hospital lots of times because of asthma & having the children. Anyhoo, she also has the virus & cant work out how. She works in BOOTS, ( chemist ) masked, gloved, visa's, sanitizers etc yet she got it from somewhere. Thats her, husband & 5 boys all in the grip of it.

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 23 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 23 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Well, the good thing is she had people at home with her. The key thing to reinforce is that she might feel like shit but not to panic.

Does she have a pulse oximeter? It is worth having one around because there may well be times that she feels like she is going through something that her body may well not actually be going through. It is the low oxygen levels that need to be kept an eye on.

I assume she is at home? That is a good sign if so.

The virus is a cheeky bastard. If she is taking lots of precautions at work it might have just been getting something at a shop or petrol for the car. Not worth dwelling on all of that though... of she has tested positive then it has happened somehow.

I hope that they all shrug it of like most people do. If she feels like shit longer term feel free to DM me of she has any concerns.

And you stay safe! I am sure you just want to go and make her better but that isn't going to be worth the risk to you. They will all probably be virus free in 2-3 weeks time.

Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm

oh I am really sorry to hear that Az. My thoughts are with you and your family. and yes it will be very hard not seeing her but its too risky. keep in contact by Skype instead.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 am

You said her whole family got it? That's where SHE got it from, most likely. Perhaps she showed symptoms before her kids or something, even if they had it first.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm

{{ Sorry to hear that Az, hope they make full recoveries soon. Thinking of you and your family. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Thank you so much guys. Thank you Lance ! Im definately staying at home even tho first instinct is too help I know darn well I cant. All her sisters & brother are messaging her & we'll find out what the Dr intends to do. The hospital here seems to get people in, say oh yeah youve got the virus now bugger off home. But now weve found out she has a heart problem, ( blocked bundle branches ) we just want her on the mend. For us fighting fit cabbage munchers its horrible knowing the people you love are suffering. They say children ( being made of rubber & penny sweets ) seem to bounce it off ? Her hubby will be over the moon to clean out 4 rabbits Smile & shes got a dog. One of the rabbits I swear is a sabre toothed Ice age bunny, it goes for everyone ! I did phone her up but all I got was gasps & sobs, she hasnt even got the strength to text. The only thing hospital did for her was dose her up on morphine as she was in so much pain. I hope you all keep safe & I hope you feel better as soon as possible Lance, seems like youve suffered long enough !!

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 23 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 23 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:34 pm

Wow, she's on morphine! That's some nasty bug. Best wishes Az! How's the rest of the family doing?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:46 pm

All of us are ok thank you Halfy. Im still upright Smile All my daughters are ok & their families too, The lot of us are staying firmly in. I walk the dog & get back home sharply & thats it

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Az - the good thing is the hospitals have had a good few months of dealing with this now and so know more what to look for and how to treat anyone with an active virus.

With all of the news and doom and gloom it is hard for people to not be anxious about it and that doesn't help (particularly if the person not feeling well is anxious).

The liklihood is the virus will be out if their systems soon enough and it will just then be about recovery (if required).

Just make sure that they have a pulse oximeter. They are cheap enough to get hold of and can be a life saver if anything were to go wrong as it is the oxygen levels that can creep down in some people.

Again, DM me if that helps. Will keep an eye out.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 am

Thank you Lance, your so kind :hug:

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 pm

I found out recently someone I worked with last year (my deputy manager at a shop I worked out) passed away a few months ago...she had a pre existing medical condition which had affected her immune system and from what I've found out unfortunately contracted the virus and passed away in hospital, I'm not sure exactly how much of a contributing factor Covid was, but she was less than a year older than I am and was due to be married this summer.

It's been rather terrible to find out this had happened-my parents were shopping in another store of the company and came across a notice/memorial jar collecting money for charity in her memory Sad Sad Sad

I couldn't claim to know her that well-I only worked with her for about four months, but she was a wonderful person with a bright smile, great sense of humour, and a brilliant manager-great with customers, very supportive of all the staff (even temp workers like me) and she never let her existing health problems get her down, remaining bubbly hardworking and generous throughout the brief time I knew her. As I say, I really didn't know her all that well, or for that long but it was clear from even that, that she was loved by her family and friends and taken far too early, and for me at the very least it's been a reminder of how serious and saddening this pandemic has been, my thoughts are with her family and friends.

Please stay safe and cautious everyone, even if you aren't at risk yourself remember some of your loved ones may be, and spare a thought for the many who have already sadly lost friends, family and co-workers to this already...

Last edited by malickfan on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:57 pm

I haven't been touched in a personal way by the virus, and I can understand why so many people think it's overblown. Hearing about things going on in hospitals can feel remote if you don't know anybody connected to it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 pm

halfwise wrote:I haven't been touched in a personal way by the virus, and I can understand why so many people think it's overblown.  Hearing about things going on in hospitals can feel remote if you don't know anybody connected to it.  

One of our neighbours is a ward nurse at a major city hospital, she hasn't really talked about her experience in any detail (she works the night shift usually and we've never talked much anyway) but even so its clear the first couple of months of the outbreak were a pretty horrific and hectic experience for her and all her colleagues, she has indicated the numbers round are way are falling quite a bit which is something to be glad of at least...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next