Old Forum
Pettytyrant
22 posters

Page 5 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next

Go down

Howdy from Needlehole - Page 5 Empty Re: Howdy from Needlehole

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Odo Banks

I blame the weather --- in Scotland at least. Cold and wet, on the good days, that's what I heard (I may have just dreamed it). So no wonder children stay indoors, eating taters three times and day, and quaffing (and scoffing) crisps and soft drinks (sodas) to stave off boredom. Here to help. :ugeek:

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:25 pm

wish I could say Odo you were far from the truth. On both the weather and the lifestyle. But you're sadly very close to it. And yes Eldo society does play its part on obesity. My little brother is a mere teenager but we grew up in the same town. Yet when I grew up there was cubs, scouts, youth clubs and a choice of football pitches to go for a kick-about as well as the street for a quick game of headers. For my brother there is no longer any cubs, scouts or youth club and there is one football pitch you have to book and pay for and if they play in the street (apart from the hazards of getting run over) they get arrested. On top of that is the distracting of tv, pc's, game consoles and the like. It's on average no more than a maximum of twenty minutes walk from anywhere in this town to countryside. And I often avail myself of a walk in the hills because I always have, ever since I was a kid and played there. But its rare, very rare to meet someone else. And when you do, nine times out of ten its a dog walker. So yes there are many contributing factors to obesity, but aside from the medical it really comes down to how people live. Which in Scotland, by and large, is on a bad diet and little exercise (and I don't see much evidence its any different in America). And no matter the distractions that's still a choice. People here could choose to go for walks in what is frankly a stunningly beautiful bit of the world. If you can find two hours of your life to watch x-factor* every week you can find the time to go for a walk. I have no sympathy with overweight people who don't. They could if they wanted to. *x-factor. I don't believe you have the pleasure of this in the US, yet. It's Simon Cowells' Saturday night spectacle of humiliations, sob stories, melodrama and cash generation dressed up as a singing contest and stretched over two hours of television (not including spin off shows like Xtrafactor) and is mind bogglingly popular. If you thought America's Got Talent was killing your tv and filling your airwaves with manufactured drivel then you ain't seen nothing yet. Be warned its coming your way.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Gandalfs Beard

Petty, you act like you think most people have the time, positive emotional outlook, or energy to get their needed exercise in their busy modern lives when they have to work more than one job to stay afloat, and look after their families. Same goes for eating properly, in this depressing Capitalist environment, and under the bombardment of advertising, and greater costs of healthy and organic foods, people's food choices naturally lead to "comfort foods" and less than healthy choices. Sure, Blame the Victim all you like, after all we do bear some responsibility for our choices; but they are choices made in an environment that increasingly minimizes our ability to make the right choices.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Eldorion

Based on your posts here and some of the pictures you and Noom have posted in other threads you seem to live in a very nice place, but some people live in places where they can't go for a walk without a significant risk of being or murdered. Some people have to work multiple jobs to support their families and at the end of the day simply don't have the time to go out and exercise or take the time to prepare a healthy meal. You can talk till the cows come home about all the opportunities the fat people you encounter have, but it reeks of upper/middle-class bias to think that all or even most overweight people have those same opportunities.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Thing is I don't see myself as a victim and I don't see why other people should see themselves as one either. If you believe you are just a leaf being blown in the wind then you will be a leaf blown in the wind. I'm not claiming its easy only that its possible. But that the possibility will never arise unless first a person makes the decision to do something and then acts on it. The problem to some degree is that we have a society where few people even have the desire to act. Your defence GB is too defeatist for me. Bugger the system, screw societies constraints and to hell with how hard they make it for you to achieve something- do it to spite the buggers if nothing else. p.s good food doesn't have to be expensive- porridge is dirt cheap, rice and pasta is pretty cheap, and potatoes, beans are always good for protein or monkey nuts for a change. Milk, bread- all reasonably cheap, a few cups of tea and the odd Duckie and it might not be too interesting but you'll live (and its non fattening stuff) and shed the pounds. That's the Tyrant dietplan. P.P.S. As you can see from the above dietplan Eldo I am very, very far from being middle classed. Lucky in that I live somewhere nice that is true. Fortunately the sort who mug and harass passersby are far to lazy to go up hills to do it, but like in most towns in the UK I would think long and hard before going anywhere near the town centre at weekends. In that sense nowhere is safe really anymore Eldo- there's just degrees of unpleasantness.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Eldorion

This is reminding me of a conversation I had with a British friend of mine a few days ago about food prices. In the U.S. (at least the parts that I've been to), food like you mention even in a supermarket is far, far more expensive than food from a McDonald's or similar unhealthy place. Unhealthy food also tends to be more convenient for busy people.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Well the porridge I buy, which is basically a small sack costs £2.00 (very roughly I think about $3.60) and would easily see you through at least a month or so of breakfasts. Bags of pasta you can pick up as cheap as £0.60 but if you want better quality your between £1-£3. How does that compare with US prices for similar?

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Eldorion

I honestly can't say off the top of my head for most items, the only one that comes to mind is a gallon of milk being about $4. I do know that for my own family of four we regularly spend $400-$500 a month on food, not counting times we eat out (that might be more than usual though since my mother likes to shop 'organic'). To eat on the campus of my university I pay upwards of $20 a day. I can try to remember to look next time I'm in a supermarket if you really care. Laughing

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Odo Banks

I know times are tough but does every American not walk because of the fear of muggings? :? Is America that Lawless? As to food - yes, Maccas is cheapish - but wholesome fresh food (whether organic or chemical), wisely sourced, is cheaper. Mr Tyrant is on the money there. You're right about the "psychological" factors though, GB - they're not to be sniffed at (and I think Mr Tyrant does!) It is hard for folk nowadays to avoid unhealthy living habits. At the heart of the problem it's not necessarily "poverty" it's "affluence." My Mother ran a budget for two adults and eleven kids, while Dad worked two jobs. She had be careful with limited funds. I'm Commission born and bred. I had few luxuries growing up, but I did have a roof over my head, and wholesome unspectacular food to eat, and never knew poverty. I'm reminded of that conversation about the tenement that was pulled down which Mr Tyrant mentioned. Community was better when we had less cash to splash. Also, I played in the streets (and did not get arrested). ---- Btw my mother's stews were better tasting than the fancy stuff me or my Missus cook nowadays - though don't tell Primadonna I said that! Cheap food it was, but good food - none of your Roman (American?) rubbish, GB.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:30 pm

"I can try to remember to look next time I'm in a supermarket if you really care." -Eldo Care would be a bit strong, curious yes. If you happen to notice when your next in a supermarket it would be interesting to see if your contention that even basic healthy foodstuffs such as those I listed are still to expensive for the average US wallet. I suspect they are relatively cheap but people choose not to buy them in favour of convenience foods and things they've seen advertised. But you can't go wrong living on good plain sensible hobbit food Eldo.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Biffo Banks

eye luv fud doen get fat corss eye laybore dun za minze ya no! :ugeek:

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Odo banks

41 years old ---- and going down. 87.9 kilos! Was in excess of 93 just over three weeks ago (I was 51 years old back then). Very Happy

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Odo Banks

82.2 kilos. Thirty five point two years old... (Primadonna thinks I'm getting slim, trim and terrific. Funny to say, she then told me that she' s invited her friend Bella Buttocks over for dinner next Wednesday night. For "drinks"she said. To "celebrate," she added. They're planning a big surprise for me. "It'll be something you males always dream of," she told me (blushing). Have no idea what she means. But that's the lasses for you! Rolling Eyes ) Very Happy

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Ringdrotten

5,7 kilos in a month, not bad! And good luck with Ms Buttocks Laughing

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Odo Banks

4Bella is a comely friendly young lady-hobbit, though somewhat forward at times. She's a scion of the Took clan, so it's no wonder. Not much of a cook though, so I don't think that the surprise will have anything to do with seed cake. Funny thing to say, but when I said to Primmy that I hoped the surprise might involve a nice freshly baked seed cake, she giggled and asked me if I liked muffins. She knows full well I do, but when I scoffingly reminded her of the fact, she just giggled all the more! Alas! Who of us can read the feminine mind? But bless their simplicity, I say. For all that, I don't expect muffins will be involved -- which is sad, because I am quite fond of the occasinal muffin or two.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:33 pm

There are few pleasures in life equal to diving into a tasty muffin! I'd be careful though Odo, sounds to me like there's a chance of dancing and frivolousness! Bella sounds the sort to break into the Springle-ring after a duckie or two. And we know how vigorous that can be on a poor hobbits heart. Shocked

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Ringdrotten

Now, this isn't very respectable, is it? Laughing

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Odo Banks

Oh no, I'm sure it will be all very respectable, Ringdrotten. Primmy met Bella at the Illuvataran School of the Feminine Mystery (in Needlehole), where the Rituals are full of love and cherishment (or so Primmy tells me). They have all sorts of Secret Intiations and Activities which bring the lady parishioners into a intense state of pleasure (spiritual I presume), initimateness ("girl-gossip" I assume) and extreme feminine closeness --- to a point, Primmy often says, where an untrained eye may have extreme difficulty just knowing where one Lady begins and another ends (a metaphysical state of extreme connectedness, I imagine). Yes, it all sounds quite esoteric, but I know it brings my sweet Primmy great joy. She often comes home flushed and full of vitality, though a little sweaty as well, for the rites are quite energetic at times, even if there also is gentleness, softness and sweetness and the use of a slow-hand as well (whatever that means). Ahh! Sometimes I have expressed the desire to join such a respectable Spiritual school, but alas, I'm a lad and not allowed. But on a brighter note, Primmy tells me that she and Bella plan to bring me as close to being a Lady of the Illuvataran Feminine Mystery as possible. I said, a little sadly, "[i:1diodcfp]Close[/i:1diodcfp] does not sound quite close enough, Sweety Hobbit." Primmy smiled demurely and answered, "You might be surprised." So I trustclose m ight well end up being quite close enough, for I'm sure Primmy won't let me down. As to duckie, Mr Tyrant, Primmy says duckie will be the last thing required, "There are far more stimulating things than duckie in this Shire, Pumpkin," she told me. Opaque as usual, but I must admit the mystery is quite tantalizing.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Dare I ask how your 'surprise' went Odo? :? I am somewhat intrigued as I know that a sensible, respected (and above all wholesome) hobbit such as yourself must (like me) be puzzled as to what sort of 'surprise' could be of any good if it doesn't involve seedcakes or duckie?

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Odo Banks

No... nothing to report... nothing at all.... Embarassed

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Mirabella Banks

You know, I'm not so sure, Uncle Odo. You have been awfully reticent about it all - and very bright eyed lately!

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Odo Banks

"Bright eyes and respect go toe to toe, That's what every child needs to know!" That's an old Rushock Bog nursery rhyme, as you'll be aware, Mirabella. Mad Oh yes, and I suspect my bright eyes are also due to my current health plan: healthy eating, weight-loss, and plenty of very pleasant exercise with Primmy and Bella..., that is.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:38 pm

JIngle Bells! Jingle Bells! Santa drank all the buckie!' hic Rudoplhs pissed and the elves dont think its funny! hic. 'Merry Crimble time Needlebog, sorry, hole, Needle hole hobbits, hic, would you be kind enough to direct me and this large drunken and above all noisy pipe band to the Banks residence? hic' And the hobbits from the NHPD choir were singing Galbladder Bay And the bells were ringing out for christmas day.' hic 'Hey! Odo you upside down hobbit, where are you? hic. I have a bag pipe filled with buckie for you. hic. But if you don't mind I might need to crawl into your hole come morning. :? I'm sure, hic, Mirabe, hic, Mirraaa, hic, Bella won't mind' Hic. Bluuurrrghhh!!!

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:38 pm

You´re a bum you´re a punk You´re an old slut on junk "hic I love a good christmas song brings a tear to the eye. hic. Odo! Is this your hole? Seems dark enough. Oh sorry madam! Didn't mean to- hic- disturb you. Have a buckie. Oh you appear to be standing under the mistletoe. What mistletoe? Why this mistletoe! Give us a kiss! hic! And whose this? Ahh the Master of the house. Big for a hobbit isn't he? hic! What?! Well sir she was under the mistletoe- what do you mean now you're under the mistletoe! Oh no! Shocked Odo!!!" You scumbag you maggot You cheap lousy faggot Happy christmas your arse I pray god it´s our last.

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Ringdrotten

Cheers, Petty Very Happy

Pettytyrant
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next