chris63
halfwise
Forest Shepherd
18 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Tales of Home [9] - Page 36 Empty Re: Tales of Home [9]

Post by David H Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{the lesson learned is that the less the Feds are involved in our heath care, the better it seems to work!- Dave

I wonder if thats more not because of any inherent difficulties in doing so, but a lack of wanting to do so at fed level.
Which is no excuse to not push to get them to want to do something.}}

I'd say the difficulties to passing any comprehensive national healthcare legislation are huge and have largely to do with the partisan divides in both houses of Congress. To take just one example, I'm sure you're aware of the battle lines over abortion rights. That's been a litmus test for party loyalty for decades, and it's guaranteed to be a part of any healthcare discussion. Until that changes I can't see any comprehensive healthcare legislation passing both houses of Congress.
On the other hand, compromises and alliances can still be made at the State level which can start to function something like the NHS.

I notice you've got a devolved healthcare system in the UK too. So if you look at Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California and Nevada you've got 5 very similar healthcare systems covering about 60 million people that are pretty well aligned with each other and getting better. That's not too different from NHS Scotland, England, Wales and NI is it?
{{...and if we just keep quietly adding western states to the block one at a time, maybe DC won't notice...Twisted Evil }}

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:29 pm

{{ Health care is devolvoed to a point. You couldnt just say in any of those areas right we arent covering that anymore for example. Everyone is entitled to a base standard if you like- devolved admins can move the money about, prioritse different things, invest where they choose or cut-back where they choose, and thats all good allowing flexibility for local needs. But it all only exists because there is a national UK wide NHS in the first place. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ But it all only exists because there is a national UK wide NHS in the first place. }}

So it would all fall apart in the event of Scottish independence?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:51 pm

{{ No but only because the basis is all there preexisting. If there had never been an NHS in the Uk as a whole we wouldnt have one if we became independent, we'd have to create it from scratch. And at the time it was created there was no Scottish devolution, so the NHS is one of the things we have Westminster to thank for (though how its been treated in England since devolution is another matter). }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:09 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ (though how its been treated in England since devolution is another matter). }}

I think this gets to the heart of the matter. Your NHS was founded in a different time with very different leadership. I wonder if it would be possible if you were starting from scratch today?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:50 pm

I wonder if it would be possible if you were starting from scratch today?- Dave

{{ Id say yes. On the basis many countries who have become industrialised or first world countries since have done so from scratch. The US is the outlier in not having some form of single payer/ singlepayer-insurance health care guaranteed for all. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:08 pm

{ Well the hotel I work at has closed it doors for at least 2 months and laid off all staff, myself included- these are going to be very difficult times. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm

I just heard Britain is giving up on the herd immunity model, so things will be shutting down.

Sorry to hear about the job loss, Petty. I hope you managed to save up a bit, and can buy supplies before there's a run on the markets. We're starting to get that now.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Petty. I wish you the best of luck in these are strange and difficult times. (and when luck isn't enough, at least you can always fall back on crabbit! Mad )

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm

{{ Sadly on my wages I largely live month to month- savings are a wishful dream. I honestly have no idea what happens next- and thats scarier and more worrying right now than the bloody virus is. As to stocking up frankly thats an issue as the supermarkets are bare- I was at my local corner shop earlier when a woman came in trying to find a loaf of bread- had been all over town and none. Panic buying has taken full hold now.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:41 pm

A bit of stocking up is wise in case you catch the bug and have to lay low for a couple weeks; panic buying is not. Goods will continue to flow in.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:54 pm

{{ As I said on my wages I live month to month, that includes enough budget for a monthly shop- what it doesnt include is enough spare cash on top to buy 3 months worth in a go.
Fortunately I tend to buy cheap and bulk when I do a shopping, so Ive a massive sack of porridge- if my ancetors could survive on the stuff sure I can for a few months. But there is no denying however I cut it thats this is going be hard and difficult.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{ Well the hotel I work at has closed it doors for at least 2 months and laid off all staff, myself included- these are going to be very difficult times. }}

Very sorry to hear that Petty Sad I have been through lengthy periods of unemployment myself so know very well how stressful and tough things can get, all the best.

I started a new part time job only six weeks ago, but have just been signed off work sick for a month with severe depression/anxiety. I'm not at all happy in that job, very stressed, extremely depressed and all over the place mentally at the moment (it's not been a pleasant experience to have such a severe relapse for the first time in 18 months) other than Eldy I'm not sure if anyone here was aware of my long term mental health struggles, but it's probably going to be a tough few months ahead for me as well (albeit for different reasons, though I am researching my future options and receiving medical treatment), very likely going to hand in my notice and take some time out to work through some issues. I'm not entirely sure whether the job itself triggered my relapse or whether this was coming anyway, but either way I hated that job and need to get some additional help, I've had similar rough patches before...kinda wish my brain had chosen a different time to do this, but that's depression for you...

Sorry for venting...I certainly don't want to give the impression I'm treating my circumstances as any worse than yours, it looks like the immediate future is going to be a very stressful one for us all Sad No

At least we have Doctor Who to enjoy... Razz No Trollface

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm

{ Malick one of the reasons this has been my fav place online for ten years is I think most of us regulars here (and in truth most people) have such issues to one degree or another, we just dont talk about them enough. And those here who are fortunate enough not to suffer such anxities are always keen to understand, help if possible and never, ever judge. Its what makes it special - our members. We might be few, but this is a good place.
And you certaintly arent alone. As for your job- I have always lived by a rule, that has granted left me often skint, but I think saner- never take a job you cant afford to walk away from.
One of the problems I observe with people who have well paid jobs is they often hate them and over the years accumulate a range of mental health issues from mild to evere depending on person, whose root is in their work, but by then they are so invested in morgatges, credit cards etc that they cant get out the job- so they are trapped and the stress will always be there, building day to day.
But one of the few advantages to working min wage is you can just say no, I cant take this, its damaging me- and walk out the door, as the difference between your min wage and your benefits is not huge so its not such a damaging shock. Its whats going to be my saving grace during this period of no work. Ive got less, but only by a couple hundred a month- I can keep the roof over my head and enough food in my belly (if theres any to buy!).
So look after yourself first Malick, and dont worry about feeling your triviliasing anyone elses problems, were all in the same crabbit inducing boat on the same shitty sea called life Mad - the trick is to make the best out of it and look for the best bits to paddle towards - Forumshire is one of them. cheers
Small, insiginificant in the grand scheme of the universe and life, but somehow its members over the years, all of them, have made it shine bright for those who find comfort in it. I love you (even when fighting with Figg Handbag Very Happy who in doing so has given me things about myself to consider I would never have even have seen, and that hopefully have made me better for it. Thanks Figg {{{{ Kissing }}}}.
Youre in good comapny here Malick, not necessarily normal company Very Happy , but maybe thats what makes it good. Nod }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:28 pm

Well said Petty, I haven't been posting here that often of late, but usually check in once or twice a day to see how everyone is doing, you guys/girls/hobbits are never far from my thoughts, and I'm always glad to return and chat/argue and occasionally even get a good bit of advice, long live forumshire and all the best to everyone here Smile cheers pub :hug: I certainly value our friendship/conversations over the years Nod

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 pm

malickfan wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:{ Well the hotel I work at has closed it doors for at least 2 months and laid off all staff, myself included- these are going to be very difficult times. }}

Very sorry to hear that Petty Sad I have been through lengthy periods of unemployment myself so know very well how stressful and tough things can get, all the best.

I started a new part time job only six weeks ago, but have just been signed off work sick for a month with severe depression/anxiety. I'm not at all happy in that job, very stressed, extremely depressed and all over the place mentally at the moment (it's not been a pleasant experience to have such a severe relapse for the first time in 18 months) other than Eldy I'm not sure if anyone here was aware of my long term mental health struggles, but it's probably going to be a tough few months ahead for me as well (albeit for different reasons, though I am researching my future options and receiving medical treatment), very likely going to hand in my notice and take some time out to work through some issues. I'm not entirely sure whether the job itself triggered my relapse or whether this was coming anyway, but either way I hated that job and need to get some additional help, I've had similar rough patches before...kinda wish my brain had chosen a different time to do this, but that's depression for you...

Sorry for venting...I certainly don't want to give the impression I'm treating my circumstances as any worse than yours, it looks like the immediate future is going to be a very stressful one for us all Sad No

At least we have Doctor Who to enjoy... Razz No Trollface

I am so glad you have shared your experiences Malick. I have had a relapse in my own mental health struggles since the outbreak of the virus as well. My anxiety is through the roof and I spent all last week in bed with the shakes and panic attacks. I have OCD and hypochondria which is about as ridiculous as it gets in a world wide pandemic. I try to deflect my attentions by reading and watching Peter Kay vids to make me laugh. Maybe the combination of the epidemic and your job has combined to trigger your current situation. I think a lot of peoples mental health is going to take a battering for the next few weeks. its a shit time to have these problems I know, the important thing is to do what you are doing, seeking help and talking about it. We are always here for you no matter what.
I love you
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:32 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{ Malick one of the  reasons this has been my fav place online for ten years is I think most of us regulars here (and in truth most people) have such issues to one degree or another, we just dont talk about them enough. And those here who are fortunate enough not to suffer such anxities are always keen to understand, help if possible and never, ever judge. Its what makes it special - our members. We might be few, but this is a good place.
And you certaintly arent alone. As for your job- I have always lived by a rule, that has granted left me often skint, but I think saner- never take a job you cant afford to walk away from.
One of the problems I observe with people who have well paid jobs is they often hate them and over the years accumulate a range of mental health issues from mild to evere depending on person, whose root is in their work, but by then they are so invested in morgatges, credit cards etc that they cant get out the job- so they are trapped and the stress will always be there, building day to day.
But one of the few advantages to working min wage is you can just say no, I cant take this, its damaging me- and walk out the door, as the difference between your min wage and your benefits is not huge so its not such a damaging shock. Its whats going to be my saving grace during this period of no work. Ive got less, but only by a couple hundred a month- I can keep the roof over my head and enough food in my belly (if theres any to buy!).
So look after yourself first Malick, and dont worry about feeling your triviliasing anyone elses problems, were all in the same crabbit inducing boat on the same shitty sea called life  Mad - the trick is to make the best out of it and look for the best bits to paddle towards - Forumshire is one of them.  cheers
Small, insiginificant in the grand scheme of the universe and life, but somehow its members over the years, all of them, have made it shine bright for those who find comfort in it.  I love you  (even when fighting with Figg  Handbag  Very Happy  who in doing so has given me things about myself to consider I would never have even have seen, and that hopefully have made me better for it. Thanks Figg {{{{  Kissing }}}}.
Youre in good comapny here Malick, not necessarily normal company  Very Happy , but maybe thats what makes it good.  Nod  }}

Thanks Petty, you have helped me too. Your kindness and humanity has always shone out here like you are the heart of Forumshire. I love you I am sorry to hear about your hotel, wont they give you paid leave? its hardly your fault or choice is it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:50 pm

3rd that ! Every man Jack of us in my family have what we call "quirks". Don't bottle things up, speak as you want to & be the person you want to be. The strength you attain from a little ickle bit of confidence feels mountainous. The solidarity here is uplifting & warm & cosy. My toe often dips into the paranoia pond & trust is a big issue for me but here, with these lovable rogues, you just drift along on a warm sea

Tales of Home [9] - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tales of Home [9] - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Im wondering for how long Government expect this country to tick along if a big chunk of workers are told, "bugger orrrrf, stay home & don't reappear till Christmas" ? Im so sorry you've fallen on a difficult patch Petty. Im wondering if we could help in any way ? Ive had my neighbours offer me help especially as people have gone into savage zombie mode & cleared every shop of every item, edible or not ! This virus has caused so much fear & more distress than I thought would happen. Im staggered people will not receive pay during all this if they have to stay at home ! And will we see massive shop lifting & ransacking if there are no security guards, store detectives etc ?? Will there be fewer police ? ambulance ? this could trickle into every department going.

Tales of Home [9] - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tales of Home [9] - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Well, the schools across the UK will be shutting for the foreseeable future, meaning millions of parents will now have to try and find childcare and juggle that with work (if they still have a job or adequate hours) and reduced public transport.

If this gets even more serious we are heading for a recession and millions out of work.

As crappy as my mental health issues have been of late...im comparison to many I'm lucky...

A few weeks down the line and I wouldn't be surprised if their are discussions about bringing in a universal basic income for a few months just to help the most vulnerable pay rent/buy food, with millions out of work all at once the economic impact could be catastrophic.

At least people have stopped arguing about brexit...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 pm

The pound has tanked to an all time low of 1.08 it was 1.20 euro to pound last week. something tells me the markets think Johnson is a fool.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:12 pm

Malick - I have to say I'm very impressed by the perspective you have on your mental health. Sort of like someone with a bum knee who says that sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad, but it is what it is. That anyone can take such an objective view of their own brain is a wondrous thing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:26 pm

As much as my other half and I have worked hard to get where we are, I do feel slightly fortunate that we went along the career paths that we have these have allowed for lots of flexibility when it comes to the current challenge.

We both work with teams around the world and have to deal with not doing things face to face every day and often work from home to accommodate conversations with people in the garden east all the way over to the west coast if the US/Canada.

We also do jobs that are not really dependent on a customer coming "through the door" to ensure that income is consistent.

So while this whole situation is super inconvenient (dogs to get out, kids to entertain, food to buy) it is nothing compared to what some people have to go through so I am not going to be online complaining about where my life is right now! I will leave that to people who actually have things to complain about and try to help them where I can!

Sure we will all get through it and come out more resilient!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:49 pm

malickfan wrote:very likely going to hand in my notice and take some time out to work through some issues.

Just posted my letter of notice just now Smile feels weird to say I'm happier now I'm unemployed again, but that job/environment and my mental health/personality were not a good fit at all, I clearly need some additional support/help with my issues and I've contacted some relevant organisations, assuming I don't come down with this virus hopefully now I can get the support/time to figure out a bit more about my triggers/coping techniques.

It's going to be tough looking for work again (not that I had any intention of staying there long term anyway) but in a weird way I'm proud of myself? Isn't it a good thing I have enough confidence/trust in myself to recognise my own limits and when to call it a day? Had this been three or four years ago I either would have botched the interview and never got hired anyway or just continued on in misery until I completed broke down...

...On a more cheerful note it's very nice weather today, nice and sunny.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Isn't it a good thing I have enough confidence/trust in myself to recognise my own limits and when to call it a day?

I certainly think it's a good thing! Nod

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next