Ringdrotten
malickfan
David H
Eldorion
Bluebottle
18 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 12 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:58 pm

I had never before felt any temptation to see Hellraiser, but enjoyed those pre-CGI effects so much I may just have to!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 12 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by azriel Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 pm

I watched this tonight, didn't think Id like it, mainly because Matthew McConaughey often talks thru his teeth & I don't always catch what he says but, It was a bloody good film Smile I was seated throughout & it did keep me glued to the tv Smile I liked the pace, the flow, the vibe all the way thru the film. The main character was the young boy in it, Ellis, & his friend,Neckbone & of course the guy with the name being the title of the film, Mud. Yep, it was good. Each actor flowed along like the river it is set against. No one tried to steal the limelight, they all merged together & told a story. I did wonder what the truth was at the beginning of the film, why who did what & did they really do it for the reasons they said Smile It really is worth a look. I'm glad I did now. It felt very natural. I felt as tho I was walking with them, seeing & doing with them, as tho part of the gang Smile And no fooking dark scenes !! well, only a fraction but, it was ok because there were mainly daylight scenes throughout so it didn't get you feeling as tho you've missed something. I enjoyed it from start to finish. A story of love, learning & growing up to feel what the real world is like. A boys romantic idea of love & finding out how it often is. Trust, & standing for what you believe, friendship, pain & hurt emotions, And then there was "Mud's" side of it. Smile

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 pm

{{Chaplin's brilliant pro-democracy speech from the Great Dictator (one of my all time favourites films, meaningful, satirical, and stupidly funny too boot!}

{{For an actor famous for silent films his take the piss of Hitlers speech patterns is fantastic- gets me every time slap laugh }}}

{{Whole film if you've never seen this classic of cinema before}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 am

Just rewatched The Assasination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford again (dunno how many times now) - still my favourite western and one of my favourites of any genre. Recommended even if you don't like westerns - it's more of a movie about two persons and how they and their relationship develop, and it's brilliantly done in my opinion Smile

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 12 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Ive seen that film also & by the end I wanted to strangle Ford myself, so, it did get under my skin & bother me. Shows it was a good film I guess Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Chaplin's brilliant pro-democracy speech from the Great Dictator (one of my all time favourites films, meaningful, satirical, and stupidly funny too boot!}

{{For an actor famous for silent films his take the piss of Hitlers speech patterns is fantastic- gets me every time  slap laugh }}}

{{Whole film if you've never seen this classic of cinema before}}

Great speech! But why the heck is the Inception sound-track being played! Mad

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Just rewatched The Assasination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford again (dunno how many times now) - still my favourite western and one of my favourites of any genre. Recommended even if you don't like westerns - it's more of a movie about two persons and how they and their relationship develop, and it's brilliantly done in my opinion Smile
One of my favourite scenes is when the light of the night-train begins to shine through the dark woods as the robbers lie in wait.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:39 pm

anyone seen this film?

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:37 am

{{Saw Voices tonight- really enjoyed it, funny, dark as hell, ridiculous, inventive and disturbing all at once.

Here's the trailer though not sure if its not one of those films best to go into completely blind as I did, so up to you if you watch!}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:03 am

Mrs Figg wrote:anyone seen this film?

I watched it in theaters a couple months ago. It was great!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:42 pm

azriel wrote:Ive seen that film also & by the end I wanted to strangle Ford myself, so, it did get under my skin & bother me. Shows it was a good film I guess Smile

And it show's how good Casey Affleck's performance in it is.

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 12 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Saw Voices tonight- really enjoyed it, funny, dark as hell, ridiculous, inventive and disturbing all at once.

Here's the trailer though not sure if its not one of those films best to go into completely blind as I did, so up to you if you watch!}}

Love it Smile Love quirky films & I like Ryan Reynolds......a lot Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 pm

{{ I was pleasantly surprised, not having any real clue what it was about. I'd definitely recommend it for a watch. Dark comedy/horror is a tricky balance and most attempts dont get it the balance right- this is pitch perfect. A lot of which is down to the equally pitch perfect performance of Reynolds. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:42 am

Speaking of Dark Comedy...

I just watched Four Lions

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 12 Four-Lions-Poster-21

a satire about a group of muslim young men in England who aspire to become famous jihadists. I had some concerns about the tone of the movie, so I watched it by myself instead of with the family. I thought it was great though! And there was the added fun of seeing Bendydick Cucumberpants himself for a few minutes as a hostage negotiator.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:06 am

{{Thats an excellent film Forest- I loved it though it is pretty black in its humour }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Love it! Very Happy

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 pm

So I went to see The Great Wall.

I went because I thought it was a Chinese movie with some western input. I was wrong, but I'll get back to that.

I thought the English dialogue was written to work well with subtitles: blunt rather than conversational.  But then the story kept falling into the western pattern of monster attacks, love story, ridiculous climax, etc.  There were some cool visuals which are expected from a Chinese movie, but not as many as I expected.

It wasn't until the end credits that I discovered it was almost purely a western movie: western script writers, production crew, only the director was chinese.  Figures - the story didn't have the depth and there was moderate amounts of the visual appeal one would expect from a chinese movie.  This sure as hell wasn't Hero or House of Flying Daggers.  You could tell which parts had the largest chinese influence - those were the cool parts.

All in all, worth seeing but not a Must See movie.  How I long to see another epic Chinese movie cross the water, it's been far too long.

If it comes out on DVD it's worth getting just to rewatch Jing Tian over and over again.  I could do that all day.

Last edited by halfwise on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:13 pm

{{Did you get a chance to watch Downfall Halfy? Interested to hear your thoughts on that one }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Downfall has to burble up to the top of the queue. It will be a while.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 am

{{ Well if your list was based on quality Halfy you'd have spent a better two hours with Downfall I reckon than with The Great Wall! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Curse of the Golden Flower isn't bad ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Great film Smile I know this hasn't subbies but it was the better quality Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:05 pm

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:07 pm

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Those look great - all but the last one seem uncontaminated by direct western involvement.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next