Seen any good films lately? [3]

Page 41 of 41 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 39, 40, 41

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 41 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:26 pm

I liked this film. A twist at the end I didn't see coming.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 41 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:43 am

Tried watching the Color out of Space, the Lovecraftian adaptation with Nicholas Cage.  At first I sort of enjoyed the modern updates, especially with Tommy Chong as an eccentric electronics hermit living near the farm.  But then it became clear it was going to turn into more of a monster horror film.

There are no monsters in the original.  What makes it so compelling is the slow subtlety of the changes, so that the characters are caught like the archetypical frogs being slowly boiled.  And though the film does have a slow build it was eventually going for boojums jumping out of the closets and I wanted no more of it.

It's a shame, everyone's hearts were clearly in it.  But they wanted to include the whole slew of Lovecraftian monsters in the one place they didn't belong.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:14 pm

Watched The Ipcress file yeterday. Its great to see a classic Michael Caine film.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Never heard of it before, but reading up it was deliberately low key to contrast with the Bond films. Same composer!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:59 pm

Watched Coming 2 America yesterday.

Tried to recapture what made the original good but didn't really get there. Some moments were just OTT for me. I probably wouldn't leave it on if I found it channel hopping like I would the original.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Under covid agent

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:54 pm

{{ Watched David Tennant and Catherine Tates version of Much Ado About Nothing, not a fan of all they do with it in terms of 'modernising' but the two central performances, particualrly Tennant are brilliant (Tate is generally excellent too and their camardrie from working together on Who shines through, but she does at times veer into her tv comedy sketch show type delivery). Always preferred the first half of this play over the second anyway but still found this hugely enjoyable watch overall, and I liked they managed to even play Don Jon for some laughs. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:39 pm

I saw that a few years ago myself and thought that Tate hit a few too many high screeches.

and a thousand tongues had told
that I would sink to these ways
that I would fall on these days--
the days I have fallen on
the ways I have sunk into.

-Instructions and a Warning, The Kalevala
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:45 pm

has anyone seen Tenet yet? I heard they all mumbled their lines, but I will be watching it in Italian so as to avoid that. but is it any good?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Ehhh it's kind of a head-ache inducer. I saw it in theaters when it came out and just like Interstellar its audio was... dynamic, to say the least. I could understand the cast's lines, en anglais, however.

Half of my headache came from that, and the other half from flipping my brain through the convolutions of its plot. If you really loved Interstellar and Inception* and get off on the clean-lines and cool action of Nolan's big budget work then I can recommend it as ticking off the "Nolan movie" boxes. But overall, as a work of film? It is hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of juuust-above mediocre.

One more thing, do you remember how your mind kind of had to skip over the part of Inception where hooking people together to a machine and involving drugs somehow made lucid, shared dreaming possible? Well, Tenet demands a considerably higher level of buy-in to its achingly-high-brow-concept.

*or if Robert Pattinson shooting stuff and being all noble really does it for you.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:05 pm

*not really

I did like Interstellar a lot specially the music and the bits on weird planets. It was very atmospheric. Although the bits on Earth sitting around on porches was bum-achingly boring.
I thought that Matthew McConaughey was right up there with Karl Urban (Eomer) in his portrayal of desperate heartbroken anguish.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:41 pm

Mm yeah that was a powerful scene. It's great for reaction memes too Very Happy

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:17 pm

yay, Jane Austin
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Great trailer.

Is that Charles Dance playing a comedic role?  Who whuda thunk it? (no, Bill Nighy, more in character).

And of course it has Anya Taylor-Joy from Queen's Gambit who would be stealing every scene if she wasn't already the titular star.

Wasn't really planning to see it until that trailer: one doesn't normally think of Jane Austen as being so funny.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:37 pm

Actually on rewatching it I have to admit Bill Nighy is more of a scene stealer than she is. I have to look up earlier work by him, I only know him as an old man.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:01 pm

she would have made a better Tauriel or any female Elven character. her face is perfect.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:17 pm

{{Bill Nighy played Sam in the BBC radio Lotr's adaptation. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldorion.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:32 pm

I think he can play anything, though looking at him you wouldn't cast him as Sam.  Magic of radio.

she would have made a better Tauriel or any female Elven character. her face is perfect.

Actually by her own admission her eyes are freakishly far apart (it's endearing).  She tells a cute story about how her friends know they have to toss things to her from the side: anything coming straight at her will thunk her between the eyes (imitates looking increasingly confused as her eyes go more cross, then jolts and shakes out the stars circling her head).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:02 am

I saw The Ritual (2017) the other night, and hot damn it is a great little horror film. The first two acts are very reminiscent of The Descent, with a final third that goes into Hereditary territory in a satisfying and effective manner, complete with twists and an absolutely delicious reveal. Highly recommended!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Re-watched The Equaliser, I have never seen a bad Denzel Washington film. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm

I wouldn't have thought that to be your cup of tea, though Denzel does bring a certain poetry to violent characters. Gotta love Christopher Walken's description of his character in Man on Fire: "Creasey's art is death, and he's about to paint his masterpiece."

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:39 pm

I actually love that kind of stuff as long as there is some mystery and it doesn't go Tarantino for no reason. I like macho men doing their stuff and I prefer a Bruce Willis or Vin Diesel film to the romantic girlie stuff, I cant stand those romantic drama films...yuck!

unless its a classic Austin or a Bronte, or anything with a bustle. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Yep, romantic drama films should not be confused with chick flicks, of which they are a mere subset. Chick flicks written by Tina Fey or produced by Drew Barrymore are where it's at.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 41 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 39, 40, 41