bungobaggins
Mrs Figg
azriel
16 posters

Page 19 of 28 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23 ... 28  Next

Go down

The YouTube thread [2] - Page 19 Empty Re: The YouTube thread [2]

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:16 pm

I call this near useless for any place except a laundromat: 2/3 of the work of folding clothes is doing that first fold. This machine will save most families about 15 minutes per week, if even that.

Granted a TV remote saves about the same amount of time, but it's a greater fraction of the effort.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:20 am

Watch this on your smart TV if you can. Very good.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:02 am

I have a subscription to Curiosity Stream. Don't use it as much as I should.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:22 pm

I call bullshit on that Smack Talk vid. Rolling Eyes it was just one long excuse for not actually addressing the issue of male violence, which is 90% of what makes this world shitty. Nope that vid blames ad agencies, it blames Gillette, it blames the MeToo movement, it blames girls for 'being bullies too' Rolling Eyes  any excuse will do so long as its not the real issue. it was disingenuous codswallop. it seems to be saying this ad emasculates men for calling out bullying, no its calling out bullying, the world has a problem with bullying, so why not just accept it gracefully and lets move on. evolve.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 pm

{{Dunno how you got that from it Figg. Here for example is what he says about the MeToo movement-

'I will say the whole movement is a bit of a clusterfuck with spin doctors and false allegations mixed in with legitimate ones..'

This is factually true,they do have spin doctors there have been some high profile false allegations mixed in with true ones.

"..a big corporation like Gillette is just virtue signalling and jumping on a topical bandwagon for PR. You don't deserve praise for MeToo. MeToo deserves its own praise and you want to ride its coattails."

I dont see how that is in any way an attack on the movement. Its an attack on a corporation for trying to take some credit by association with a successful movement. One he says is deserving of its own praise for what it has done on its own terms. That is not a criticism of it, its a compliment.

That girls can bully is true too- many cases of young girls who are harassed by online bullies are harassed by other girls not boys. Pretending only boys can be bullies doesn't help anyone. There are girl gangs in every city in the world just as violent as their male counterparts.
Nor would I agree with your assessment that 90% of the reason this world is shitty is male violence. Thatcher didn't bring us peace and roses, she got involved in wars, she sunk an entire battleship full of men and woman as they retreated the battlefield, she used the police as army against the mining communities. Look at May, her government is involved in all the same shady weapons deals, and al the same involvements in foreign wars as it was under Cameron- male/female no difference. Do you think if Clinton had won instead of Trump it would have been the end of US involvement in wars and shady black ops and weapons development? Its not male violence, or female violence, its the human tendency towards using violence. We need to accept and address that not keep blaimng each others gender for everything. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 pm

I don't think Gillette was saying "Hey, if we make an ad upholding the MeToo movement and reminding men to do better, we'll make a shit-ton of money!"

You can't call that advert self-serving.  Neither can you call it an unfair attack on men: it was pointing out things men historically do and saying "hey, we can do better."

The Gillette ad did NOT go off the rails.  Where things go off the rails are when individuals are picked out for things they did in the past that were fairly common at the time and hounded out of a living.  If they are STILL doing these things then it's well deserved, but in many cases we don't know if the guy has evolved.

I'm not saying doing it in the past was okay, but since nearly everyone was doing it you need to have Mendela's Truth and Reconciliation policy: if he admits and says he now knows it was wrong, you have to get past it (so long as it wasn't criminal).  Otherwise the whole society is torn apart.  Collectively guys have been guilty as hell, but you can't do reparations, all you can do is demand change in the present.  That's what the Gillette ad says and I think they deserve credit for it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 pm

The YouTube thread [2] - Page 19 Cs_lew10

The YouTube thread [2] - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The YouTube thread [2] - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 pm

The main complaint hinges on the implicit notion that if a video discusses only one problem it must be denying the existence of other related problems., which is so idiotic I don't feel the need to offer a response to it.

With the boardroom section, he seems to believe the problem is only condescension, ignoring the issue of unwelcome physical touch (and no, it's not comparable to handshakes). He also makes the laughable claim that perpetrators "will get [their] ass handed to [them]" (emphasis his), as if this is guaranteed and the idea of a man getting away with sexual harassment is unthinkable.

He mentions that there are female CEOs and board members which is ... yeah? No one is disputing that things have improved since the 1950s, so I'm not sure why he feels the need to make this point. That doesn't mean disparities in promotions and corporate leadership no longer exist and that the glass ceiling has been shattered.

He fixates on the fact that the "boys will be boys" segment includes men standing at their grills and just completely declines to address the actual point (which has nothing to do with food, obviously). And of course, no acknowledgement of the fact that the "boys will be boys" mentality is harmful for a lot boys, especially (but not only) gender-nonconforming ones. Though given his comment about the term "sissy" and certain kinds of socks, I'm not sure if he would actually find that problematic.

He complains that one of the twelve talking heads shown in the next segment is one of the co-hosts of The Young Turks. I'm not a fan of TYT myself, but this is completely incidental to the point of the ad and the vast majority of people watching wouldn't recognize her anyway.

"It [the advertisement] is all part of your marketing strategy"--well fuck me sideways, I never would have guessed--"to make your identity more than just a faceless company." Yes, that's generally a big part of marketing. It's in no way limited to ads that touch on political and social issues.

The problem is because of Hollywood culture ... yeah, no. Anyone who has paid enough attention to the MeToo movement to find it worthy of praise knows the problem is far more widespread than that, even if they've only followed cases involving famous people.

He dismisses and mocks the idea that men telling women to smile matters out of hand. The fact that he finds something he's never experienced to be ridiculous is not a rebuttal. If you want to disagree, okay, but you're gonna need more than uninformed derision. Unsurprisingly, he also neglects to acknowledge that the issue is not so much about receiving a random comment but when it's something that happens continuously.

Alright, that's eight minutes in and I've had enough. This is pretty much what I expected given the fragment of Smack Talk's Black Panther review that I watched when it was shared last year. Disappointing to continue to see his videos posted here.
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:25 pm

{{Id say Eldy rather it hinges on the fact if you did this in reverse it would be considered unacceptable. Which it would be.  His point about getting your asses handed to you is that the modern workplace has come a hell of a long way from casual acceptance to all companies at least having policies in place to deal with harassment complaints. Its not just accepted without a word any more.

I agree with him, boys will be boys- not that boys have to be boys or should be made to be boys, but those who are boys should be allowed to be boys- and they are not- and yes boys to have a greater predilection to get in fights, establish their position in the pack ect thats part of being male for the majority of males- I got in loads of fights  between ages 6-20 and dont regret a single scrap, not one of them. They helped me understand who I was and what it was to me to be male and what I was physically capable of, good and bad. I learned a lot from them and about myself.

As to advertising- his complaint is one I am growing more and more to share- I am getting sick of having this stiff rammed down my throat- now its even infested my life long favourite tv show and turned into a political correct pile of shite. I dont need it from corporations too trying to sell their crap.

And if I didn't sometimes flirt, and yes shock horror compliment her sometimes, a bit at work I'd not be with my current partner seeing as that's how and where we met.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 pm

The issues around bullying by women and girls are not identical to the issues of male bullying, and they have (along with adult abuse) sometimes not been addressed well by people who should know better. I think this is something we've seen improvement on, but it's certainly one of the things where there's a ways to go yet.

There are some workplaces where harassment is not tolerated. There are some where people might turn a blind eye while they can, but take action if it's reported. And there are some that don't care or actively cover up for harassers and abusers. Making sweeping statements as in the video is misguided at best.

I'm glad that you consider your childhood to have been an overall positive experience. Not everyone is like that and the fact that boys who don't enjoy every scrap and feel that they get something out of it are effectively forced to participate in it by adults in authority positions is fucked up. The attitude also has negative consequences for women and girls.

I'm sorry that hearing people talking about issues that cause problems for millions of people is unpleasant for you.

Very few people are trying to ban flirting and there's nothing in the ad to suggest Gillette is in that group.

It's probably in everyone's best interest that I take another break from the forum rather than getting back in the habit of frequent political arguments. Feel free to have the last word.
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 pm

I'm glad that you consider your childhood to have been an overall positive experience.- Eldy

{{I never said that. I said I didn't regret any of the fights I got in. And I dont, they all taught me something, often about my own hubris, temper or trigger points. Those can be handy things to discover and identify about yourself.

And we are at the end of the day however we want to look at it, animals. The human male evolved to strive in a hierarchy largely based on dominance. That takes a fair bit of shaking off. The idea that a father might see their young boy in a scrap with another kid and say, "let them sort it out between them, boys will be boys" is in my view fair enough in that that is the traditional and most common male animal way of establishing where in that dominance line you stand. Its as natural as watching wolf, dog, cat or fox cubs fight- a means to fairly safely test your bounds and capabilities against another male. It doesn't help that natural sees fit to combine the experience with adrenalin and when you are successful endorphins to reward you.
Laws will only ever be able to go so far in governing the animal nature of human beings. It seems much better to me to accept that and work from there, that the human animal is flawed, than this current game of allocating blame according to genders for behaviour that can only ever be modified because its hard coded into us as an animal.

'Very few people are trying to ban flirting and there's nothing in the ad to suggest Gillette is in that group.'

I wasn't thinking of the ad but how I read your own statement-

"He dismisses and mocks the idea that men telling women to smile matters out of hand. The fact that he finds something he's never experienced to be ridiculous is not a rebuttal. If you want to disagree, okay, but you're gonna need more than uninformed derision. Unsurprisingly, he also neglects to acknowledge that the issue is not so much about receiving a random comment but when it's something that happens continuously."

"Feel free to have the last word."

You didnt think I'd fall for that did you?! Smile

No need for a break surely, just take a break from the political threads if you feel the need.

"I'm sorry that hearing people talking about issues that cause problems for millions of people is unpleasant for you."

Anything which ruins Doctor Whoi is never going to sit well with me Mad }}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:17 am

Though it's good to recognize the natural tendencies of the human animal, it's also good to recognize that the modern world we have created is not the one that evolved those tendencies. We've already adjusted to a myriad of unnatural things: television and social media and fast food. We have to recognize the uphill battle we have in some cases due to our genes, but we also have to adapt socially to the new world. Male culture needs to evolve to catch up with the already evolved female culture. As is usual in social situations the men are a little slow.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:29 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Its as natural as watching wolf, dog, cat or fox cubs fight- a means to fairly safely test your bounds and capabilities against another male. It doesn't help that natural sees fit to combine the experience with adrenalin and when you are successful endorphins to reward you.
Laws will only ever be able to go so far in governing the animal nature of human beings. It seems much better to me to accept that and work from there, that the human animal is flawed, than this current game of allocating blame according to genders for behaviour that can only ever be modified because its hard coded into us as an animal.

I don't believe in biological determinism so I can't really respond here without starting a discussion about some of the basic foundations of this viewpoint, which I'm not gonna do.

I wasn't thinking of the ad but how I read your own statement

You quoted the part where I said that the issue was not so much about receiving individual comments so I'm not sure how you got from that to the idea that I disapprove of flirting in all forms and frequencies.

You didnt think I'd fall for that did you?! Smile

No need for a break surely, just take a break from the political threads if you feel the need.

Bluntly, I have increasingly less interest or desire to be in environments where it's common to encounter certain kinds of reactionary views, given that there's a non-negligible portion of the political mainstream that thinks people like my sister and I shouldn't exist. I know people on this forum don't think that--I remain very grateful for the response I received when I came out--but arguments that come from a similar place (like Smack Talk's, even though they don't go the whole nine yards) aren't conducive to a relaxing forum experience either. To be sure, engaging in debate over such issues is part of the forum experience as well, but I have other places where I prefer to do that because I have less of a complicated emotional history with them. Insofar as forums are a venue to just kick back and talk about both positive and negative stuff in your life, I find myself gravitating more towards spaces where discussion of social issues facing women and gender and sexual minorities (of which there are a lot surrounding transition) is not considered political correctness forced down people's throats. I don't want to be continuously watching what I say or consistently engaged in arguments with people I care about. I'd rather not be ~that~ person, y'know?
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:59 am

"the issue of male violence, which is 90% of what makes this world shitty"
-Figgs

scratch

"There are girl gangs in every city in the world just as violent as their male counterparts."
-Petty

Neutral

"Not everyone is like that and the fact that boys who don't enjoy every scrap and feel that they get something out of it are effectively forced to participate in it by adults in authority positions is fucked up"
-Eldy

Shrugging  Parents force kids to fight each other? Or, adults do? Which adults? Gang-leaders? Gym coaches?

" Male culture needs to evolve to catch up with the already evolved female culture"
-Halfwise

:facepalm:

"Inspirational quote"
-Azriel

Ahem, C. S. Lewis, as far as I know, NEVER SAID OR WROTE THAT.
It's a fine thing to say, but should not be misattributed if one can avoid it I think. Smile

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:26 am

I didn't watch the video of course (still on glacially slow metered internet) but it seems to me that social norms are now changing about as fast as during the social revolution(s) of the 1960's, with just as many growing pains but (at least so far) with a lot less violence and needless death (or so it appears.) This is progress! Nod

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:01 pm

I know Forest Smile I just liked the sentiment. How's the erection going ? Has weather called a halt for a while ? It cant be much fun in the snow, tends to make things shrink I find......wood....that is.

The YouTube thread [2] - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The YouTube thread [2] - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Dunno how you got that from it Figg. Here for example is what he says about the MeToo movement-

'I will say the whole movement is a bit of a clusterfuck with spin doctors and false allegations mixed in with legitimate ones..'

This is factually true,they do have spin doctors there have been some high profile false allegations mixed in with true ones.

"..a big corporation like Gillette is just virtue signalling and jumping on a topical bandwagon for PR. You don't deserve praise for MeToo. MeToo deserves its own praise and you want to ride its coattails."

I dont see how that is in any way an attack on the movement. Its an attack on a corporation for trying to take some credit by association with a successful movement. One he says is deserving of its own praise for what it has done on its own terms. That is not a criticism of it, its a compliment.

That girls can bully is true too- many cases of young girls who are harassed by online bullies are harassed by other girls not boys. Pretending only boys can be bullies doesn't help anyone. There are girl gangs in every city in the world just as violent as their male counterparts.
Nor would I agree with your assessment that 90% of the reason this world is shitty is male violence. Thatcher didn't bring us peace and roses, she got involved in wars, she sunk an entire battleship full of men and woman as they retreated the battlefield, she used the police as army against the mining communities. Look at May, her government is involved in all the same shady weapons deals, and al the same involvements in foreign wars as it was under Cameron- male/female no difference. Do you think if Clinton had won instead of Trump it would have been the end of US involvement in wars and shady black ops and weapons development? Its not male violence, or female violence, its the human tendency towards using violence. We need to accept and address that not keep blaimng each others gender for everything. }}

Basically, in a nutshell, you are saying exactly the same thing as that video. You will make any excuse for male bullying. The argument that girls bully too is quite frankly risable and disingenuous. Using Thatcher and May is risable and disingenuous. If you cant admit that the world has a wee bit of a problem with male violence and cant admit it, then its a bit worrying.
The fact is that every single day women and girls are subjected to massive levels of violence of every type, and boys and men are subjected to massive levels of violence mostly perpetrated by men. Calling out male violence does not emasculate men, rather certain types of men who wish to continue the violence use excuses to justify it, they will blame others, they will blame women, they will blame anyone and anything rather than face up to the truth and change. Boys will be boys not because of testosterone but because society allows half of the population to continue the cycle of violence. We have a thing called civilization we have a thing called self control, we are supposedly better than beasts rutting and fighting for power, territory and females. supposedly. Boys being boys should not mean the beginning of a life long spiral into rage and abuse. Theoretically you can be a boy without kicking each others heads in and genocide and shit. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Forest wrote:" Male culture needs to evolve to catch up with the already evolved female culture"
-Halfwise

:facepalm:

I stand by this.  

In the last 50 years, women have started working outside the home, entered fields like math, science and engineering that were formerly thought to be the domains of men, and you even see female 'foremen' of construction crews.

Men have entered the ranks of flight crews and nurses, but not secretaries.  Stay at home dad is no longer laughed at but is still a bit unusual.  The tendency towards sexual harassment has decreased mainly I think in the last 20 years (but was largely unchecked as late as the 1990s).  I think it's fair to say that men around the age of 30 and younger HAVE evolved (hence Forest's reaction), but those older are still working to catch up.  It will age out, but women in their 40s right now are definitely ahead of men in their 40s in the gender bias curve.  50 somethings are straddling the fence leaning in the right direction.  60s on up are nodding their heads saying it's a good idea (though there's an inflection point: those that were part of the counter-culture of the 70s have long been where modern youth is now).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:57 pm

You will make any excuse for male bullying- Figg

{{No I haven't- nowhere have I excused bullying, I hate bullying. But its not a human male issue, its a human species issue- boys and girls bully. That's a simple fact. You can call it risible but tell that to the families all of the girls who have taken their lives from being bullied by their female peers, or been killed due to getting caught up in female gangs the world over. I dont call those risible.

'In surveys of youth in a wide range of cities, for example, the proportion of self-identified gang members who were female ranged from 8 to 38 percent, and the proportion of females surveyed who claimed gang membership ranged from 9 to 22 percent' - US Department of Justice

The point about May is there seems no obvious link between female or male leaders and violence in society- when Thatcher was in power there was far more street violence than when Major was in power, today figures were released showing a marked increase in violent crime in England and Wales since May came to power- so does that mean life is more violent under the female May than it was under the male Cameron because she is female? Of course not. More likely what it means is that it makes no odds which gender is in charge the same problems persists because they are still people governing people. Gender is not the important factor here, species is.

'Calling out male violence does not emasculate men'

No but tarring all men with the same brush as all being complicit in treating women terribly, regardless of how individually we may have acted our entire lives is not right either. The issue is the blanket blaming of all men as equally guilty purely on the premise we are male and so automatically must be guilty.
And this viewpoint, this agenda all men are guilty is being pushed in our media aggressively- so far its killed Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Star Trek and now even Doctor Who. (where you have Jodie accusing all previous Who of having been a part of the 'male gaze'- insulting not just to those of us who fell in love with the show at such a young age the idea it was because of the male gaze is laughable, but also insulting to all the female fans classic had).

'we are supposedly better than beasts rutting and fighting for power'

I have never thought that personally. That's exactly what we are- just another animal on this planet with all the others. If we thought of ourselves in those terms instead of some divinely created and chosen super being separate and somehow better from the rest of nature, I think we'd have a much better starting block to address some issues from. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Having lived through the Equal Rights Amendment wars in the 70's, I tend to run and hide whenever I hear people overgeneralizing the opinions and behavior of any sex or gender.

The ERA was a constitutional amendment to ensure men and women were treated equally under the law, and it easily passed both houses of Congress and was signed by President Nixon in 1972.

It's adoption seemed certain, but cracks soon started appearing within and among the women's movement(s), along age lines as Halfy suggests, along cultural lines, over the value of traditional gender roles, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Rights_Amendment#Opposition_to_the_ERA

It seemed to me at the time so needlessly ugly and pointless, as bad as any rhetoric we're seeing today.
The scars from those wars still exist among the surviving veterans I know, and feminism was never quite the same. I was seeing the same thing happening recently with the Women's March, which was an amazing moment of unity that quickly started fracturing along many of the same old dividing lines, which is extremely sad to see.

Now it looks to me that the #metoo movement is starting down the same fractured road. Absolutely understandable, but looking at past history I'd think a little more unity and a little less anger would bring more long-term change.

Thoughts anybody?

Eldy, I believe you said that you'd grown up as a Child of the Women's Movement too, in a later generation. Does this ring true to you, or am I hopelessly dated?

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:You will make any excuse for male bullying- Figg

{{No I haven't- nowhere have I excused bullying, I hate bullying. But its not a human male issue, its a human species issue- boys and girls bully. That's a simple fact. You can call it risible but tell that to the families all of the girls who have taken their lives from being bullied by their female peers, or been killed due to getting caught up in female gangs the world over. I dont call those risible.

'In surveys of youth in a wide range of cities, for example, the proportion of self-identified gang members who were female ranged from 8 to 38 percent, and the proportion of females surveyed who claimed gang membership ranged from 9 to 22 percent' - US Department of Justice

The point about May is there seems no obvious link between female or male leaders and violence in society- when Thatcher was in power there was far more street violence than when Major was in power, today figures were released showing a marked increase in violent crime in England and Wales since May came to power- so does that mean life is more violent under the female May than it was under the male Cameron because she is female? Of course not. More likely what it means is that it makes no odds which gender is in charge the same problems persists because they are still people governing people. Gender is not the important factor here, species is.

'Calling out male violence does not emasculate men'

No but tarring all men with the same brush as all being complicit in treating women terribly, regardless of how individually we may have acted our entire lives is not right either. The issue is the blanket blaming of all men as equally guilty purely on the premise we are male and so automatically must be guilty.
And this viewpoint, this agenda all men are guilty is being pushed in our media aggressively- so far its killed Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Star Trek and now even Doctor Who. (where you have Jodie accusing all previous Who of having been a part of the 'male gaze'- insulting not just to those of us who fell in love with the show at such a young age the idea it was because of the male gaze is laughable, but also insulting to all the female fans classic had).

'we are supposedly better than beasts rutting and fighting for power'

I have never thought that personally. That's exactly what we are- just another animal on this planet with all the others. If we thought of ourselves in those terms instead of some divinely created and chosen super being separate and somehow better from the rest of nature, I think we'd have a much better starting block to address some issues from. }}

yet more excuses, and whataboutism. We are talking about male violence, why are you searching for ways to get out of accepting facts?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 pm

{{ Because that is not what we are talking about- we are talking about the gilette advert and how it accuses all men of being complicit on the basis of just being men, which is the main accusation behind the smacktalk video, criticism of the advert widely online, and the same line of thinking which has infected other media and franchises of late to their detriment.
I am arguing that this is this case, the advert does indeed seek to make all men guilty by virtue of being male, and it is also a false premise, as such behaviour is not confined to just males of the species but are traits of the species as a whole and all men are not the same nor equally complicit in anything. And if we want to seriously resolve issues then we have to take our species as a whole, address the issues together as single species, and stop this modern trend of allocating blame to sections of society whether that's on the lines of race, colour, social status or gender. }}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:37 pm

But it's not accusing all men of being complicit, it's asking all men to help each other not be complicit. There's a difference.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:48 pm

{{By implying we are all complicit to start with hence why we need the help not to be- the row of fathers watching the boys fight is a perfect example of this- its meant to be representational of all fathers and then telling them they can do better. But the very idea of that set up is that all those fathers had been complicit in this behaviour up till their 'woke' moment of enlightenment. Its patronising, its unfair, its judgemental, it ignores reality. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 28 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23 ... 28  Next