Amarië
Bluebottle
Nagual
15 posters

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [12] - Page 32 Empty Re: Doctor Who [12]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:37 am

Blue, I think you are right. Its the uncritical deification that gets so irritating. Its irritating when people are worshipped, it makes you want to punch the worshippers on the nose. no matter who it is. Maybe its a normal reaction to dislike the enthusiastic fans of someone you personally find a bit dodgy. For example I would like to punch every single one of the 'fans' of Kim Kardashian and Kayne West because I find them loathsome human beings, I would like to punch certain 'fans' of PJ on the other Tolkien forum, when they go on about The Hobbit being genius and sometimes I would like to punch Petty when he goes on about Moffat being genius. Sometimes I think superfans can do more harm than good to their hero and make the hero disliked by association. I think its true to say that I never disliked Moffat as much as when I read the glowing comments. You would think glowing comments would make me like Moffat but they have the opposite effect. contrary, maybe?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Blue, I think you are right. Its the uncritical deification that gets so irritating. Its irritating when people are worshipped, it makes you want to punch the worshippers on the nose. no matter who it is. Maybe its a normal reaction to dislike the enthusiastic fans of someone you personally find a bit dodgy. For example I would like to punch every single one of the 'fans' of Kim Kardashian and Kayne West because I find them loathsome human beings, I would like to punch certain 'fans' of PJ on the other Tolkien forum, when they go on about The Hobbit being genius and sometimes I would like to punch Petty when he goes on about Moffat being genius. Sometimes I think superfans can do more harm than good to their hero and make the hero disliked by association. I think its true to say that I never disliked Moffat as much as when I read the glowing comments. You would think glowing comments would make me like Moffat but they have the opposite effect. contrary, maybe?

But The a Hobbit is genius! Shocked

Of course, I honestly don't think Petty is  the Super-fan you allege him to be. I think that with the Anti-fan attitude he is just trying to redress the balance. It does cut both ways, you know. Of course, when heads start butting, both sides come across as more fanatical about it than they actually are. To be honest, I think some of Petty's angst comes from folk making snide remarks about Moffat just to poke Petty personally. I don't see him as Super-fan, just an ardent defender of what he sees as sometimes unreasonable attacks on him. Just saying. Shrugging

Oh yes, I'm definitely a Super-the-hobbit fan. The book is brilliant and while I could find flaws if I wanted to, the book remains one of the best I've ever read. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 am

Contrary. Nod

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:35 am

Orwell wrote:But The a Hobbit is genius! Shocked

Oh yes, I'm definitely a Super-the-hobbit fan. The book is brilliant and while I could find flaws if I wanted to, the book remains one of the best I've ever read. Very Happy

I was talking about the films Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:36 am

halfwise wrote:Contrary.  Nod

rabbit probably Nod
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 am

Mrs Figg wrote:
Orwell wrote:But The a Hobbit is genius! Shocked

I was talking about the films Wink

Oh. Shocked Are some people Superfans of the Movies?!?!?!?! Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:53 am

They're out there. They walk among us. pale

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 am

I shouldn't be so hasty, I guess. Maybe those folk are thinking of Movie 3. I haven't seen it yet (on principle). Should I reassess? Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:04 am

Orwell wrote:Should I reassess?

Oh, god no.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:25 am

Mrs Figg wrote:For example I would like to punch every single one of the 'fans' of Kim Kardashian and Kayne West because I find them loathsome human beings

Kanye's got three classic albums under his belt, I won't stand for this kind of disrespect. Mad

But seriously, let's just like ... not punch people for disagreeing with us? Even metaphorically so over the Internet? Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:47 am

Oh just when we decided it was perfectly okay to punch people over the Internet, you go and turn up, Eldo! Killjoy! Mad  

((( Wink )))

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:19 pm

spoilsport Mad  

it must be a generational thing. when I was growing up you got thrashed on the hand with a ruler in school, you got thrashed by your parents for being cheeky, and you got thrashed by all and sundry in the school yard. corporal punishment was just part of growing up, men punched each other and women twatted each other and pulled hair, we all let off steam and we all knew our place in the pecking order, it was a lot simpler and there wasn't hoards of feral teenage thugs on the streets beating up grannies. They would get thrashed by police officers, and nobody would think it was wrong. because some people need a damn good thrashing. if you think you are going to get punished with a thrashing it makes you think twice about doing wrong and it makes you respect authority, if you are afraid of doing wrong you are less likely to do it, no punishment means the end of parental authority and the mess we are in today where pupils stab teachers, and parents are afraid of their offspring, or spawn. whatever.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Is this a roundabout way of asking for moderators to start thrashing (banning) members on here? Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:38 pm

affraid
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Matt Smith says he's certainly happy to do some big finish audios but hasn't been asked yet Big Finish do actually have the license up to his last episode so I suppose it's just a matter of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52aSutmfTBg&feature=youtu.be

Personally I'd love to see this happen, but in a couple of years, Smith hasn't been gone long enough for me to feel nostalgic about and I wouldn't want him stepping on Capaldi's toes, I'd be surprised if Big Finish could fit him into their schedule or afford three New Who Docs at the same time at the current time (at least with their current release/pricing pattern) although I wasn't overly keen on many of his storylines, he has a wonderfully expressive voice and in the hands of different writers (with less of an emphasis on breakneck pacing and convoluted plots) I think my opinion of his Dr would raise considerably, Moffat has already left tonnes of Gaps (there's his 200 year long 'farewell tour' and the 900ish years on Trenzalore alone) for Big Finish to explore...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Eldorion wrote:Is this a roundabout way of asking for moderators to start thrashing (banning) members on here? Wink

Other than spammers, has anyone actually be banned? I think most people take a quick peek at the madness within and leave of their own freewill Laughing

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:08 pm

The only one that comes to mind is the kid behind grey gundulf/sunset smaug and the related alt accounts. The one who had a creepy vendetta for Norc. He kept evading IP bans but we eventually found his school (whose computers and e-mail he had used) and Petty contacted them by phone with the information I'd gathered as well as some choice quotes from his posts and that ended things. Laughing No idea what happened to him after that but he was breaking UK internet law, which is notoriously strict.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Eldorion wrote:The only one that comes to mind is the kid behind grey gundulf/sunset smaug and the related alt accounts. The one who had a creepy vendetta for Norc. He kept evading IP bans but we eventually found his school and Petty contacted them by phone with the information I'd gathered as well as some choice quotes from his posts and that ended things. Laughing

I vaguely remember that guy but he seemed too much of an idiot to be threatening (at leas the trolls on IMDB are amusing at times) I tend to stay clear of forum politics here so I hope Norc wasn't too upset.

(If you remember BN Filmz, he migrated to the IMDB forums and still has the same opinions...)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-08/doctor-who-series-10-to-start-filming-in-may---but-new-companion-is-yet-to-audition

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm

I can't speak for Norc but I found him more annoying than anything else.

I do remember BN.filmz, it's kinda heartwarming to hear that he's still chugging away. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Eldorion wrote:

I do remember BN.filmz, it's kinda heartwarming to hear that he's still chugging away. Very Happy

Yep he still seems to be under the opinion all three films are masterpieces, I can't really fault him for holding such an entrenched opinion, he usually backs up his points with a fair (if misguided) argument, whereas for me all three films remain kinda crappy alot of the time...just because they are Razz

Last edited by malickfan on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:spoilsport Mad  

it must be a generational thing. when I was growing up you got thrashed on the hand with a ruler in school, you got thrashed by your parents for being cheeky, and you got thrashed by all and sundry in the school yard. corporal punishment was just part of growing up, men punched each other and women twatted each other and pulled hair, we all let off steam and we all knew our place in the pecking order, it was a lot simpler and there wasn't hoards of feral teenage thugs on the streets beating up grannies. They would get thrashed by police officers, and nobody would think it was wrong. because some people need a damn good thrashing. if you think you are going to get punished with a thrashing it makes you think twice about doing wrong and it makes you respect authority, if you are afraid of doing wrong you are less likely to do it, no punishment means the end of parental authority and the mess we are in today where pupils stab teachers, and parents are afraid of their offspring, or spawn. whatever.
 The good old days, I do remember them... Thanks for the memories, you young romantic you...  Kissing

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 pm

ironically for all the pc handwringing about spanking kids, theres more casual violence without consequences now than in the good old days when kids got a beating for demanding more gruel. its probably due to video games, people see violence as entertainment, mind you that's always been the case, but the violence in the past was normally a hanging or a drawing and quartering and a message not to mess about or this could be you.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Parents are generally working harder now than in the past with less time to mind the children, and this may have as large a part to do with the general breakdown in discipline as the shift in approach. Any long time teacher will tell you they feel more called upon to raise kids as sort of substitute parents than in the past. As much as people want to blame the parents for this, the fact is they are often working two jobs just to get by. At least that's the story in the States.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 pm

I wouldn't want to blame working more, as there were plenty of kids in the past who's parents would be both working in the fields or the mills and would be brought up by their grandparents, but still grew up with self respect and discipline. Chinese migrants don't have two minutes to spare but their kids are normally well behaved. Its also easy to start blaming women for wanting to be out working instead of staying at home. I don't think its working longer hours but a shift away from responsibility for discipline. parents want to be their kids best friends, and woe betide any teacher who tries to discipline a naughty kid, they get set upon by the parents. these days if a parent shouts at a naughty kid in public they are made to feel like a monster. and there is this absurd nonsense that all kids have to be told how great they are even if they have failed at something, as it might disempower them and hurt their feelings. Rolling Eyes  so instead of fighting mediocracy it gets applauded. theres too much tip toeing around the bullshit.

*steps off soapbox*
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next