Amarië
Bluebottle
Nagual
15 posters

Page 30 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [12] - Page 30 Empty Re: Doctor Who [12]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:26 am

I think Verity Lambert, Hartnell and Troughton mught have something to say about that.
But if you are talking NuWho then Ecclestons first series was already a hit, so he should get the main credit in terms of being the Doctor who got the audience back, Tennant grew that audience (to start with his last series bar the specials were dropping in numbers), and under Moffat it exploded internationally.

He played his part, but he most certainly did not make Who in any fashion at all.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:31 am

Just anecdotally, Tennant was the beginning and the end of my knowledge about Doctor Who until I met Petty. I first heard about the show during his tenure and everything DW-related that I saw had his face on it. Not that I really knew anything about the franchise though; I'd never heard of regenerations and was quite surprised when Matt Smith came along.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
However according to yesterdays Daily Record Capaldi has let the BBC know he is quite happy to stay on

cheers bounce bounce

Obviously the BBC may feel differently, though it is worth noting Moffat practically begged Tennant to stay on for series 5 initially. I'm not sure how far his plans went with the Tennant version, though it would have definitely been Tennant's final series and Moffat had a vague plan that it would start with Tennant's doctor crashing mid regeneration into Amy's garden when she was a child, the rest of the series unfolding backwards for the Doctor as his younger self encountered and traveled with an older Amy before looping back to the start again.

I know I found it very hard at the time with the broadcast version of series 5, to not only get used to a new doctor, but a very different style of writing and tone, Chibnall may find it easier to carry Capaldi over for a series or two, rather than attempting another clean break again, Capaldi seems a popular enough doctor (most of the complaints I've read are to do with the writing, not his acting) and the show continues to grow internationally, on the other hand he or the BBC may well push for a new doctor (though if they were, I think they would have announced it at the same time as Moffat leaving) we'll have to wait and see.

I'll be totally honest...if they cast another young actor with quirky hair, or a woman in the role (that's probably going to read as sexist, I just personally feel the Doctor is a male hero, casting a woman in the role will allinate tons of viewers/fans and will could risk putting the actress on a pedestal or be interpreted as merely ticking a quota-I fear she'd be known as the female doctor, not a doctor) I'll be very tempted to stop watching again...

Capaldi has quickly become my favourite doctor of New Who (and I'd certainly rank him as one of the three strongest actors (after Hurt and Troughton) to take the role, but it with the gradual arc of 'Am I a good man' taking a series to unfold, Clara, his tardis and sonic screwdriver being carried over from Smith's tenure it feels like the 12th Doctor's only just getting started, I'd love to see how he would work under a different showrunner, I'd be quite happy with Capaldi matching or breaking Tom Baker's 7 year record, though realistically that's not going to happen...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I never mentioned popularity, I said I thought he was probably the best actor. Him or Troughton.

Tom Baker is probably still the most popular/well known doctor overall, and I wouldn't personally say he was a great actor, he played himself, though he did it very well...

Good to see Sir John Hurt is looking healthy after his all clear from cancer Smile

Doctor Who [12] - Page 30 CaEw-IqWkAAS1FM

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:03 pm

Tom Baker felt very comfortable in his skin as the Doctor, others have felt less so. No doubt that authenticity struck a chord.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

I don't want a female Doctor either, as its a bit pc for my liking. I am bored of Capaldi though. I would like to see someone radically different, very odd and eccentric that's why I like Joe Gilgun for the role, he could be perfect, kind of hipster weirdo with a manic edge. I would like him paired up with a young black guy companion like Rigsy, they could have some mad larks together. I love you

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

halfwise wrote:Tom Baker felt very comfortable in his skin as the Doctor, others have felt less so.  No doubt that authenticity struck a chord.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, he's a great doctor and deserves to be so popular, but he never struck me as an actor with a great deal of range (though in fairness the other roles I've seen him in largely seem to be trading on his Doctor's persona anyway...).

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I don't want a female or a black Doctor either, as its a bit pc for my liking.

It's going to happen eventually, my only major concern with the idea is...why? they've cast a white male 13 times before and it's worked out fine there's no reason not to cast a ethnic minority actor/actress in the role...but on the other hand there's no reason to do so either...

I am bored of Capaldi though. I would like to see someone radically different, very odd and eccentric that's why I like Joe Gilgun for the role

Gilgun is a very good actor, but I think Capaldi has certainly nailed the odd/eccentric, personally I grew very bored with Tennant and Smith after a while (both are great actors though) aftera while and I don't think Moffat's writing has helped capaldi reach his full potential yet, personally I'd rather the Doctor was kept as older/middle aged man (I'm a bit uneasy with the romantic hero thing they tried with Tennant and Smith, Paul McGann (who's doctor was the first to tackle romance on screen and is something of a prototype for 10 and 11 called the romance stuff in the Tv Movie a mistake and viewed as cheap and detrimental to the Dr/Companion relationship, I'm inclined to agree...)

I would like him paired up with a young black guy companion like Rigsy, they could have some mad larks together

I'd love to see a male companion again (Jamie and Fitz, possibly my favourite companions were both great as slighty put of their depth historical characters acting as a foil/best mate to the Doctor's madness) but the BBC probably isn't brave enough to go down that route...at the very least I hope the next one isn't yet another modern mid 20's female londoner...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:20 pm

A couple of interesting developments in the audios:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bfd8-the-war-doctor-and-leela

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torchwood-the-victorian-age-coming-soon

Doctor Who [12] - Page 30 12508746_1197862806909566_7540142403277774089_n

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:48 pm

malickfan wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:I don't want a female or a black Doctor either, as its a bit pc for my liking.

It's going to happen eventually, my only major concern with the idea is...why? they've cast a white male 13 times before and it's worked out fine there's no reason not to cast a ethnic minority actor/actress in the role...but on the other hand there's no reason to do so either...

I am bored of Capaldi though. I would like to see someone radically different, very odd and eccentric that's why I like Joe Gilgun for the role

Gilgun is a very good actor, but I think Capaldi has certainly nailed the odd/eccentric, personally I grew very bored with Tennant and Smith after a while (both are great actors though) aftera while and I don't think Moffat's writing has helped capaldi reach his full potential yet, personally I'd rather the Doctor was kept as older/middle aged man (I'm a bit uneasy with the romantic hero thing they tried with Tennant and Smith, Paul McGann (who's doctor was the first to tackle romance on screen and is something of a prototype for 10 and 11 called the romance stuff in the Tv Movie a mistake and viewed as cheap and detrimental to the Dr/Companion relationship, I'm inclined to agree...)

yep I don't want anything romantic either. I think that sometimes Smith was too self consciously quirky, although he did it very well sometimes it was too much twirling and gurning, Tennant could be OTT in the open mouthed shouty bit too. But I think Gilgun is genuinely odd without having to have exaggerated mannerisms to prove it. I think that's what irritated me about Capaldi in the beginning, since Tom Baker all the Doctors have to be upbeat and hyperactive quirky, as though its essential to his character. I think a childlike enthusiasm is part of his character but not necessarily the twirling and court jester stuff Smith sometimes did. Capaldi tried too hard to be quirky, then he tried too hard to be dark but it just ended up looking skitzo. He is much better as he has acted in the last 3 episodes. That's what I liked most about Eccleston he could turn from geeky to haunted very quickly but it looked natural. It might be interesting to have a youngish Doctor with an older companion, mix it up a bit.

I would like him paired up with a young black guy companion like Rigsy, they could have some mad larks together

I'd love to see a male companion again (Jamie and Fitz, possibly my favourite companions were both great as slighty put of their depth historical characters acting as a foil/best mate to the Doctor's madness) but the BBC probably isn't brave enough to go down that route...at the very least I hope the next one isn't yet another modern mid 20's female londoner...
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 pm

'though it is worth noting Moffat practically begged Tennant to stay on for series 5 initially'- MAlick

Also worth noting Tennant very nearly choose to stay because Moffat was writing it.

'I know I found it very hard at the time with the broadcast version of series 5, to not only get used to a new doctor, but a very different style of writing and tone, Chibnall may find it easier to carry Capaldi over for a series or two'- Malick

The opening of series 5 is the tell-tale, especially in hindsight- the pre-credits sequence is pure RTD era in style and look, including London landmarks, explosions, and the tone of the humour. Post credits we get a totally different directorial style, pallete and look with a slow pan up through Amy's fairytale like garden. There is a very clear and deliberate line been drawn pre and post credit.
There is no historic reason in Who to change Doctor with showrunner- it has happened in the past, but actors have also gone across showrunners, some of them more than two. It never did Tom Baker any harm.

When it comes to a black actor playing the role, or even a women its down to how it written for me. Its always about the quality of writing for me, then performance with Who. If those two thing are present then I don't care really to be honest. But I do think in terms of audience its a risk. Part of Who's problem in the internet age is that as its on of the most progressive family prime time tv shows in drama a section of its audience ants it to go a lot further than commercial considerations probably allow (its already censored in some countries to remove homosexual references).

For companion I want either someone who is not from the present day, or not from earth. Something different for NuWHo and a bit more classic I think it would suit Capaldi's take on the role.

Tom Baker is on record saying that when he realised he was a hit, then found people were saying he was so eccentric, and alien, it really hit his ego, as he had never considered himself that way and was essentially playing the Doctor just as himself, but bigger.

'I don't think Moffat's writing has helped capaldi reach his full potential yet'- Malick

You dont think Heaven Sent let Capaldi show his potential?!  Shocked What do you want?

'Tennant could be OTT in the open mouthed shouty bit too'- Figg

And the whiny moping about emo bit too  Mad

'Capaldi tried too hard to be quirky, then he tried too hard to be dark but it just ended up looking skitzo. He is much better as he has acted in the last 3 episodes.'- Figg

Capaldi's Doctor has been on  journey of rediscovery from the post war Doctors who believed they had committed genocide on their own people (without the satisfaction even of defeating the Daleks in the process) and the post Gallifrey Doctor with a whole new regen cycle. In many ways he is back at square one (left perfectly placed for a new showrunner to step in- which is why series 10 will be interesting as he has do it again).
It was also a stated mission aim with 12 from before we even saw him on screen that the Doctor would not be so predictable, that we should be uncertain how he would act in any given circumstances, or exactly what his motivations always are. Putting the Who back in the character again.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 am

Capaldi's Doctor has been on journey of rediscovery from the post war Doctors who believed they had committed genocide on their own people (without the satisfaction even of defeating the Daleks in the process) and the post Gallifrey Doctor with a whole new regen cycle. In many ways he is back at square one (left perfectly placed for a new showrunner to step in- which is why series 10 will be interesting as he has do it again).
It was also a stated mission aim with 12 from before we even saw him on screen that the Doctor would not be so predictable, that we should be uncertain how he would act in any given circumstances, or exactly what his motivations always are. Putting the Who back in the character again.
Petty

How convenient.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:01 am

More like how convenient they planned ahead, told us the plan, and then stuck to their plan, giving us an unpredictable Doctor yet one who goes on a journey similar to 1 where he begins rough round the edges and abrasive and is mellowed over time by interactions with others and especially in 12's case by Clara.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Rolling Eyes its convenient how big Moffat's brains are.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:09 am

I watched Local Hero tonight, for the 1st time in probably 20 years, and was surprised to recognize a very young Peter Capaldi as Danny!
It's funny, but now that he's got Dr Who moves and facial expressions it somehow changes the character. It seems fuller and more developed than I remember.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:55 pm

How odd! Havent seen it in years though.

This is fun- Asylum of the Daleks trailer in the style of the Suicide Squad trailer-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:(...)
'I don't think Moffat's writing has helped capaldi reach his full potential yet'- Malick

You dont think Heaven Sent let Capaldi show his potential?!  Shocked What do you want?
(...)

I'll go out on a limb here and guess; maybe a series of good episodes?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:13 pm

I would say we just got one. Which is why it has received such plaudits from critics and fans alike- even long term self confessed Moffat bashers like Claudia Boleyn and Lippmannette has positively reviewed this series.

Have you actually watched it yet?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Nope. Saw the first episode and it still feels like a boring chore to see the rest. I haven't read anything here that entices me to watch anything. Maybe when Finrod is done with his Blacklist.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:30 pm

Then it is probably politic for an Ambassador not to imply negative criticisms of a series you have not actually seen. Especially if you base that opinion on the naysayers who post here, or to quote Tolkien, 'you'll never want for moonshine'.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:33 pm

'Doctor Who Executive Producer Steven Moffat has been presented with his OBE for services to drama.

The award, announced in the 2015 Queen's Birthday Honours list, was presented to the writer by The Prince of Wales at a ceremony held at the Queen's London Residence, Buckingham Palace. It makes Moffat an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Steven Moffat told the Scottish Daily Record he was delighted to recieve the award It was very thrilling and formal and slightly, slightly, just very slightly, like being back at school. But nicer because everyone got a prize.

Talking to other people before I came in, I kind of feel everyone's here for a better reason than me. I've got not one, but two dream jobs so to get this lovely thing for already indulging myself in public, seems like an excess of good fortune.
He said it will be sad to leave Doctor Who, but exciting to do something new. Ahead of me this year I have 14 Doctor Who and 3 Sherlock films, so the last thing I am doing is contemplating work beyond that.... The reason you end up leaving Doctor Who, much as we all love it, is because it's all year round. It's a really tough gig
The interview indicates Steven Moffat's last Doctor Who episode will be the 2017 Christmas special.'- Gallifrey Base

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:57 pm

So say yey, some say ney. I don't blindly follow anyone. I base my opinion of Who on what I have watched so far, which has been years of being unimpressed, and what people have said so far - that includes you. If you don't like my guess, then it's just too bad.

{{{Note to self. Shire motto: 'you'll never want for moonshine while there's Buckie'.}}}

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:23 pm

I would say it was significantly more than some that say yeah and less some that say nay about series 9-

'Doctor Who's ninth series received critical acclaim, and was hailed by many critics as the show's best season to date. Series 9 holds a perfect 100% score on online review aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes with an average score of 8.1. It has also won the Rotten Tomatoes' Golden Tomato Award for best-reviewed TV sci-fi/fantasy/horror show of 2015. The site's consensus reads "Peter Capaldi and the writers have settled into an emotionally engaging tone, allowing the show to raise the stakes for the Twelfth Doctor". Reaction to individual episodes has also been highly positive, with scores on the site ranging from 67% to 95%, all certified fresh by the site. Specifically, episodes such as "The Woman Who Lived" and "Heaven Sent" received particular acclaim, with critics saying that the former "should be an episode that goes down in Doctor Who history" and "stands as perhaps the strongest entry of Season Thirty-Five thus far", whilst the latter was labelled "a masterpiece of the highest order" and "an instant classic". The lowest-scored episode for the season was the episode written by Mark Gatiss, "Sleep No More", which gained a 67% rating though was still considered "fresh".

In reviews for various episodes across the series, many critics highlighted series 9 as the show's greatest yet. In their review for "Hell Bent", IGN called series 9 "a very strong season of Doctor Who -- possibly the best season of the modern run of the show", while New York Magazine stated "It’s been a largely brilliant season... possibly even the best since the new series began" in their review for the same episode.Discussing the series as a whole, The A.V. Club stated "Doctor Who is great again, and this season represents maybe the best mixture yet of the show’s head and its heart". Of the twelve episodes in the season, they awarded five a perfect 'A' grade (the most for any season of the show), while awarding a further five episodes either an A- or a B+. Furthermore, TVEquals.com called series 9 "one of the strongest seasons of the show in years".-wiki

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Oh, dear. The popularity line again. :facepalm:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Laughing I wonder it the new guy will bring us some new sheet music. We're all singing the same old tune in there.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next