Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Bluebottle
halfwise
Eldorion
17 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 7 Empty Re: Watching LOTR for the first time in four years

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Irrelevant to some maybe! Mad

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 7 Empty Re: Watching LOTR for the first time in four years

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Irrelevant from a business perspective, I mean. Razz I like DVD extras myself tho
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 am

One of the big reasons I still get netflix DVD instead of streaming is for the extras. Watching some movies without all the extras can feel like a shallow experience in comparison.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:58 pm

halfwise wrote:One of the big reasons I still get netflix DVD instead of streaming is for the extras.  Watching some movies without all the extras can feel like a shallow experience in comparison.

You could make the argument watching some of Jackson's films regardless of extras is a shallow experience anyway Smugdog :carrot:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:26 pm

Actually the extras are better than the films....

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 pm

as far as The Hobbit is concerned the vlogs were 100% more entertaining than the films. Nod love all that backstage stuff.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:04 am

I'v just watched all the extras from the 3 Hobbit extended films. Loved it.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:05 pm

I was listening to the radio & someone was giving a description of one of the Scottish Islands, Rum, & amongst all the interesting stuff she said, she mentioned the healing qualities of Sphagnum moss. Could Tolkien have known this & used it as "Athelas" ? Just a thought.......

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:30 pm

chris63 wrote:I'v just watched all the extras from the 3 Hobbit extended films. Loved it.

How do they compare to the extras from the LotR? I'm wondering how much more there was to say after that.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:33 pm

azriel wrote:I was listening to the radio & someone was giving a description of one of the Scottish Islands, Rum, & amongst all the interesting stuff she said, she mentioned the healing qualities of Sphagnum moss. Could Tolkien have known this & used it as "Athelas" ? Just a thought.......

Or chamomile, or lavender, or echinacea, or ginseng, or hibiscus, or lemon balm, or .....

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:01 am

Mmmm, only Chamomile is like Athelas in appearance, Sphagnum moss is like Athelas & chamomile in appearance.

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:43 am

halfwise wrote:
chris63 wrote:I'v just watched all the extras from the 3 Hobbit extended films. Loved it.

How do they compare to the extras from the LotR?  I'm wondering how much more there was to say after that.

Just good fun to watch. Watching Andy Serkis turn from actor to director and visibly turn into a scruffy tramp in front of your eyes
with the pressure of the job. PJ talking about how he had 3 years of planning for lotr but only a couple of months for The Hobbit.
With Del Toro pulling out he was sort of pushed into the job. I think if he was given the time it would have been a lot better.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:56 pm

yeah they rejected a bunch of early ideas for LotR, and admitted they kept changing it closer to the book.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:03 pm

admitted they kept changing it closer to the book.- Halfy

{{They did! Shocked Is there a version I haven't seen? Suspect }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Yeah, the one that didn't show up. We didn't get Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep for example. There was something else that they had tried to change but found it only worked as it came closer to the book, but I can't remember what it was.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:20 pm

{{{"It could've been worse " is not an excuse for what we actually got! Evil or Very Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Don't knock it!  "It could be worse" is my major motivation for getting out of bed each morning! Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:50 am

Just love that opening music to that vid Figgy Smile It gives you so much...hope, pain, sorrow but, don't give up, it has strength & determination. Either I'm a bit cuckoo, or psychic, a nut job OR, Howard Shore's music is much more than you realise. For me, this music is the best Ive ever heard from a film & I never seem to grow tired of it. Its uplifting & sustaining, its the haunted whispers of a time gone by that has left us only hints & echo's. A time that's still there, reached by tender finger tips. Its there in the half light of a summers dusk. When your in doubt or feeling alone that powerful music, which is 10 times more spiritual than any gospel music Ive heard, just lifts you up & soars you away, to Middle Earth, to Avalon....

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:33 pm

I love you Nod
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{"It could've been worse " is not an excuse for what we actually got! Evil or Very Mad }}

I've actually heard that as a defense for Brexit...

On topic Jackson apparently wanted to originally do the ringwraiths with CGI No

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Rewatched Fellowship. Even grabbed my beat up, yellow paged Del Rey paperback with the Ted Nasmith cover art to compare or refresh my memory on some things. Paid attention for most of the movie. Zoned out and/or rolled my eyes at the dumb stuff. Sean Bean's performance is the only thing that I would consider exceptional in the whole film, apart from maybe the production design.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:13 pm

'dumb stuff' Shocked  vous et kidding. its genius from start to finish. dat music, dat feels. cumon..Bilbo..SAM! its bloody gorgeous.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:48 pm

The wizard battle was kinda dumb. I really hated the line "you have elected...the way of PAIN". Rolling Eyes

I wasn't happy with the Council of Elrond, but that would have been difficult to film in any case and get the proper feeling across. Too much talking. But people jumping up and yelling at each other wasn't the solution. It could have been condensed and stayed dramatic, if they had a great screenwriter. They didn't.

The dump of snow in Caradhras with heads poking out was just cutesy and dumbass.

Is that enough to go on?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:09 pm

The wizard battle was beyond dumb. Especially the last bit where Gandalf is lifted up the spire and is, I assume, slammed into the ceiling. The whole falling staircase in Moria was dumb. Galadriel's nuclear meltdown was dumb. That was a moment where I went back to the book, and yeah they lifted some of the dialogue directly and altered some, but they completely over exaggerated or misinterpreted Galadriel's appearance in the passage "tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible, and worshipful."

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next